Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dandelion patch!

Options
  • 28-03-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Bought an old house whose garden had been neglected for donkeys years. In fact there is no lawn, it's a complete dandelion patch. Have dug up the back garden and extracted the dandelions by hand with as much root as possible. Plan to plant potatoes as am told this is a good way of clearing it for the first year.

The problem is the front garden, which is just as bad. Can't see the neighbours being impressed by pototes! Any other solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NatureGirl

Hi Mr Caesar,

If it's impressing the neighbours you want as well as speed, how about chopping it all down low... and covering with a weedbarrier 'carpet' (the black woven stuff).
    You could then build raised beds in a design of your choosing, fill with a good compost and plant flowers, herbs and veggies all in amongst each other :)
    If the black plastic carpet is too expensive... newspapers will do the same thing, even to the extent of forming paths between the raised beds. Put them down as whole newspapers (you will need a lot) so very thick. The rain turns then into a more solid mass (ever heard of papier mache ?? haha). This will give a weed barrier and you can build the raised beds instantly on top :D

Otherwise I am afraid it is good old fashioned hard manual labour, digging and weeding and then keeping it weed free, as many will be below the surface still and not have germinated yet.

You could always use 'Weedol' which biodrgrades as soon as it hits the soil, so isnt too nasty. My preference is to not use chemicals unless totally safe and eco friendly, so don't use Roundup no matter how good someone tells you it is !!!

I hope I may have helped a bit :confused:

I'm full of ideas !! Just ask if you want to know any more.

From a very keen eco aware flower, veggie, fruit and herb gardener who tames fields in Co Galway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

NatureGirl wrote: »
    Hi Mr Caesar,

If it's impressing the neighbours you want as well as speed, how about chopping it all down low... and covering with a weedbarrier 'carpet' (the black woven stuff).
    You could then build raised beds in a design of your choosing, fill with a good compost and plant flowers, herbs and veggies all in amongst each other :)
    If the black plastic carpet is too expensive... newspapers will do the same thing, even to the extent of forming paths between the raised beds. Put them down as whole newspapers (you will need a lot) so very thick. The rain turns then into a more solid mass (ever heard of papier mache ?? haha). This will give a weed barrier and you can build the raised beds instantly on top :D

Otherwise I am afraid it is good old fashioned hard manual labour, digging and weeding and then keeping it weed free, as many will be below the surface still and not have germinated yet.

You could always use 'Weedol' which biodrgrades as soon as it hits the soil, so isnt too nasty. My preference is to not use chemicals unless totally safe and eco friendly, so don't use Roundup no matter how good someone tells you it is !!!

I hope I may have helped a bit :confused:

I'm full of ideas !! Just ask if you want to know any more.

From a very keen eco aware flower, veggie, fruit and herb gardener who tames fields in Co Galway :D

FYI Weedol only kills foliage and is usually used on Driveways, Round-up is in fact systemic killing foliage and root, it bio-degrades on contact with soil and is safe to replant area after a few weeks.

Why you recommend Weedol and not Round-up is puzzling??

In realtion to Dandos, unless every part of the root is removed, expect new growth. Also there are probably many dormant seeds in area bursting to sprout as soon as conditions improve. Using trad methods to clear area would take at least a full growing season to eradicate. Choice of eating 'principles' in the meantime or being selective on use of chemical controls.

Horticultural Weed barriers (eg 'Mypex') are only effective below barrier, although some weed cam penetrate the barrier and many weeds can and do germinate on outer surface, but relatively easy to remove! The barrier is also weakened where slots or 'X's are cut for planting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Is there a killer for dendelions that wont kill the grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Is there a killer for dendelions that wont kill the grass?

There might still be some selective weedkillers available, one that we use to use was Super Verdone, dilute with water and applied by watering can with excellent results for killing weeds in lawn area incl dandos, daisies .

Otherwise make a small paste with roundup and brush on. Putting some Salt in centre of dandos was also an old cobbler's way of killing dandos.

There are of course the granular weed and feed mixes available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks for that, will try a few of them and see what works best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

NatureGirl wrote: »
    If it's impressing the neighbours you want

And I'm in Dublin city.....Thanks for the advice on the barrier method - didn't like it at first but it may be just the thing to destroy the weeds.

Can always research some ground cover (other than grass) for the year after.

Thanks!

JC

Advertisement