Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Army to gardai??

• 28-03-2009 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

For the last year or so iv been contemplating the idea of leaving the Army and joining the Gardai. With the intention of becoming a special detective/ERU member/Drug squad.....either of these would be ideal. Iv 10 yrs service in the Army -(i know....RED ARSE) Just wondering if anyone knows anyone who successfully left the Army and actuallly got into any of these branches. I do know 1 guy who left and got into the Drug squad oretty quick, up until last year he was the only one on the team qualified to carry a weapon.....because of being in the Army. Any advice would be great.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

There's a lad that posts on here and the Emergency Services forum named djtechnics... As far as I know he's former PDF and now a member of the Garda.

At the very least he was training for ERU Selection recently so he's probably your best bet with regards info on making the switch over to the Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

You can't transfer over from PDF to Gardaí - you have to apply, train & serve time in a station like everyone else. There's also no way that a Garda would be issued a firearm without having completed the official course first, regardless of their background. You would also be serving for quite a while before you would have a realistic chance of getting any of the units mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭FlyOver

You're looking at at least 3 years after graduating before you would be considered for any of the sought after courses. That is if Daddy(or Mammy) isn't a Superintendent or above, if so, the process may move faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

You have to apply for AGS as everyone else does.
    Id inform CO that your considering leaving and joining AGS, otherwise he/she will find out from AGS when they make enquiries about you.
    My interview board gave me a hard time wanting to know why i was leaving PDF for AGS, why wouldn't i stay and join MP, but if you have answers ready, want new challenge etc etc then you'll be fine.
    Templemore will be a small bit easier for you as you will already have good fitness and you will know foot drill etc already, (oh this bit killed me too....... parade., all commands are in ENGLISH), and you'll have loads of colorful things on your tunic that all the other boys and girls don't......... ribbon bars
    Having been in PDF it will look good on applications that you have previous firearms training, but no one is going to hand you a firearm straight away, you have to do SIG course and getting a gun card in a district is very hard even for people that have gun course done.

As for ERU, i know there are ex PDF in there and ARW, its tough to get in and unless you were in ARW or some part of army where you learned CT, it is not similar to army work at all. Even the firearms are different,
    If you really want ERU keep fitness up... work your a*s off and see what you get in your district/station, if after 5 years you still want ERU, train train train train and go for selection.

TBH if i were you id set few goals.
    Get into AGS
    Get out of Templemore as a member
    `then look to solve your first investigation,
    Get to district court, circuit court, childrens court, high court
    Get driving course
    Get onto anvil unit, traffic, crime task force, drugs

I know everyone should know what they want.... but lower the bar for yourself a bit....... people who are brilliant garda haven't been able to get in to units in station/district never mind ERU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Gunny Hartman

What is selection for the ERU like?

• Advertisement

Its 2 weeks in duration and is based in Templemore, lots of running around the countryside, sleep deprivation etc etc. Usually about 15 on each course and people are "binned" throughout the course, whoever finishes selection then might get an interview, get passed interview board and you in.
    Last course there were only 3 spots going and there was nearly 30 did selection.
    Its very tough going from lads I know that have done it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

cushtac wrote: »
    You can't transfer over from PDF to Gardaí - you have to apply, train & serve time in a station like everyone else. There's also no way that a Garda would be issued a firearm without having completed the official course first, regardless of their background. You would also be serving for quite a while before you would have a realistic chance of getting any of the units mentioned.

Thanks for imput custac, the heading does say transfer from Army to Gardai.....but the post clearly says "...leaving the Army and joining the Gardai". I am aware that transfer itself is not an option. Warranted mistake on my part.

FlyOver wrote: »
    You're looking at at least 3 years after graduating before you would be considered for any of the sought after courses. That is if Daddy(or Mammy) isn't a Superintendent or above, if so, the process may move faster.

Cheers FlyOver, unfortunately for me, I am in no way connected to anyone in the Gardai. 3 year slog it would be so. thanks

You have to apply for AGS as everyone else does.
    Id inform CO that your considering leaving and joining AGS, otherwise he/she will find out from AGS when they make enquiries about you.
    My interview board gave me a hard time wanting to know why i was leaving PDF for AGS, why wouldn't i stay and join MP, but if you have answers ready, want new challenge etc etc then you'll be fine.
    Templemore will be a small bit easier for you as you will already have good fitness and you will know foot drill etc already, (oh this bit killed me too....... parade., all commands are in ENGLISH), and you'll have loads of colorful things on your tunic that all the other boys and girls don't......... ribbon bars
    Having been in PDF it will look good on applications that you have previous firearms training, but no one is going to hand you a firearm straight away, you have to do SIG course and getting a gun card in a district is very hard even for people that have gun course done.
    I have only received a medical for ERU selection course and I would have good service, nothing like CLADA, but considered lengthy in todays AGS.
    As for ERU, i know there are ex PDF in there and ARW, its tough to get in and unless you were in ARW or some part of army where you learned CT, it is not similar to army work at all. Even the firearms are different,
    If you really want ERU keep fitness up... work your a*s off and see what you get in your district/station, if after 5 years you still want ERU, train train train train and go for selection.

TBH if i were you id set few goals.
    Get into AGS
    Get out of Templemore as a member
    `then look to solve your first investigation,
    Get to district court, circuit court, childrens court, high court
    Get driving course
    Get onto anvil unit, traffic, crime task force, drugs

I know everyone should know what they want.... but lower the bar for yourself a bit....... people who are brilliant garda haven't been able to get in to units in station/district never mind ERU

Thanks for all the help.....im 28 now. Fcuk, if i did leave and join up id probably be 40 by the time id have a chance to try for ERU. Il keep trying for the ARW so. Although i think the Army is great, I constantly feel frustrated at being well trained to do so many things......and not get to do them! Y'know yourself, the only time you feel like a soldier is overseas. I know of a guy who spent 14 years in the ARW, he left and joined the Gardai, 8 months out of training and he is in the Crime Task Force. Is this an isolated rare thing to happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

benwavner wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help.....im 28 now. Fcuk, if i did leave and join up id probably be 40 by the time id have a chance to try for ERU. Il keep trying for the ARW so. Although i think the Army is great, I constantly feel frustrated at being well trained to do so many things......and not get to do them! Y'know yourself, the only time you feel like a soldier is overseas. I know of a guy who spent 14 years in the ARW, he left and joined the Gardai, 8 months out of training and he is in the Crime Task Force. Is this an isolated rare thing to happen?

Yep its isolated albeit because of the Guys experience.I was shocked when I heard he left the Unit but I wish him well in his new career.

• Advertisement

Isolated incident about ctf id say.... ARW lads find it easy to get into ERU though.... obviously enough.

Cheers everyone......cleared up a few questions I had! Il stick it out and try out for the danger wing and see what happens.............its better than packin bags in Tesco I suppose!!:)

Ya can nearly smell your green beret

Keep at it

fianoglachred.jpg

flash.gif

at4.jpg

Ha nice one DjT.............il keep you updated!! cheers for all the help man.

Advertisement