Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best peat compost for everything.

Options
  • 28-03-2009 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

for seeding planting on . and veg.

there is so much out there.

I got one of those peat free bags last year and it was a disaster. When seeds did geranate ,they did not get on to well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Peat free isn't suitable for sowing seed, instead use a Multi-purpose compost or a compost with a John Innes mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 queenie1

Use a John Innes seed and potting compost.....aside from seeds new research has shown that peat free has better results than peat based on all other levels. At the moment the cost difference is the limiting factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

queenie1 wrote: »
    Use a John Innes seed and potting compost.....aside from seeds new research has shown that peat free has better results than peat based on all other levels. At the moment the cost difference is the limiting factor.

any suggestions on the right manufacturer. I hear there are good and bad brands.

J. Arthur Bowers is a recommended variety usually €5.99 for 30l

queenie1 wrote: »
    J. Arthur Bowers is a recommended variety usually €5.99 for 30l

was in b&q. the arther bowers was a 10er a bag there.

I asked the man in there and he suggested the westfield peat free.

I have been looking around and the WHICH web site have tested them all and say westfield stuff is the best . was also 10e a bag. It smells really bad but I guess that's a good thing. Its very corse and seems to be made with bark from a forrestry

I have used the peat free stuff to fill two small bins with some finer peat compost on top to plant my carrot and lettuce seedlings .. I also mixed in a handful of ALUM SULFATE for nitrogen. I think thats good . More an experament

I will keep yas posted on there progress. I just wish the weather would warm to really get them going.

I have dug the same stuff into my top soil for french beans. But Its a little cold for them yet I think.

This is my 3rd year of trying to grow veg. I have had no sucess yet but hope to put a great deal more effort in this year.

• Advertisement

We sell it on special at three for €12 so big warehouses not so cheap. Westland are a good compost supplier and we use them for our other products. The peat free is a great product. Where are you based?

Thanks for your PM queenie.

I am based in Naas though.

That could make for expensive compost.......good luck with the veg....

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭niall_walsh

for seed germination definetly Shamrock professional potting compost. €8.99 for 75 litres but you'll not find better. I'm in the trade and have experimented with loads.Westland compost throws up awful inconsistences.. Shamrock Range is hard to beat.......and of course is Irish....By the way i'm not a rep for shamrock....just an end user.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 killybram

Westland is an Irish company too - located in Co Tyrone. I have used their products and have had no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I have tried to germinate outside and inside as an experiment. same day sowing. 3 weeks ago. with B&Q sowing compost.

these are carrots.

DSC00536__Large_.JPG

The pot on the right has shown no sign of life. I went digging around it to check and could not even find my seeds. Yet the ones grown in the propagator and transplanted outside are doing well.

the pot kept outside had formed a hard tough skin on the surface. I think this may have prevented germination. I was thinking of mixing in some perlite and starting again. I don't want to dump the compost as its to expensive, but now I have doubt in my head that the seeds are not getting the right feeding from the soil.

tis hard when ye dont know. A little frustrating. Could it be the temp in late march?

I also have planted out some lettuce . From the propagator.

they have gone floppy and cant stand on there own.

it the space saving type.
    DSC00537__Large_.JPG

very frustrating. could someone advise me on how to save them?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭niall_walsh

Westland are not an irish company. They are mainland UK based with a batching plant in Co Tyrone. Furthermore to the point...they import peat from as far away as poland where there are little environmental policies in place for peat bog protection. Inconsist blends are the biggset problem.

for seed germination definetly Shamrock professional potting compost. €8.99 for 75 litres but you'll not find better. I'm in the trade and have experimented with loads.Westland compost throws up awful inconsistences.. Shamrock Range is hard to beat.......and of course is Irish....By the way i'm not a rep for shamrock....just an end user.

I took your advise and went to johnstown garden centre and bought the Shamrock stuff. I hope its the right type.
    DSC00545__Large_.JPG

8.50 euro for 100litres and a 5 for the other stuff

I have sown new running beans , French beans spinach and lettuce this morn.

hoping for some better results.

DSC00547__Large_.JPG

first time using those paper pots as well . For the blue lake french beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 killybram

Westland are not an irish company. They are mainland UK based with a batching plant in Co Tyrone. Furthermore to the point...they import peat from as far away as poland where there are little environmental policies in place for peat bog protection. Inconsist blends are the biggset problem.

FOR THE RECORD : Westland is an Irish company founded by a couple of blokes from Co Tyrone. They also have a plant in England manufacturing fertilisers etc. All their growing media is produced in Ireland using only Irish peat. BBC's gardeners world did a program a couple of weeks ago about peat compost manufacture and featured Westland very positively. I know some people connected with Westland so please don't post comments which are untrue (especially the peat source one).

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

http://www.bulrush.co.uk/

this company is based in derry...good results from their commercial
    range, can't vouch for the retail range but i would certainly give it a try.

ps......they have organic certified and a range of peat free alternatives.

the impression I have been given after a little research is these big companies are buying up Irish peat bogs. Destroying the Irish ecosystem and causing damage to the atmosphere . And shipping the stuff to the brits.

Maybe we should all stop using peat and definitely stop exporting it. After what i have been reading from a goggle search, I am no longer going to contribute to the damaging effect these businesses are doing to our land.

If westland are going to lead the way with peat free, then maybe we should give them a try at least.

Bord na mona seem to be as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

the general trend is a move away from non- renewable resources
    such as peat and while there are alternatives now on the market
    the performance of these are extremely variable at best,and at this time
    there is no real peat free compost that is suitable as a substitute
    for seed growing.:(

Advertisement