Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mary Coughlan on the Marian Finucane programme

• 28-03-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Anyone else listening to this interview?

I have a sore head from listening to this empty vessel. She's been talking for 30 minutes and she's said nothing of any consequence at all, either about how we got into the mess we're in, or how we're going to get out of it.

Basically she's said "we want to listen to the people, make good decisions, and make this into a better country". For fcuk's sake girl, you've had 12 years to do that and you've failed.

In fairness, Marian asked her "how are you actually qualified to do the job you're in", but the answer was the usual political BS: "I work hard, and I've determination to succeed, although of course it's a steep learning curve". You'd swear she was on the Apprentice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I heard a bit of it. She avoided every question put to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I gave up after 2 minutes - waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Sorry - I thought it was an interview with the singer Mary Coughlan...:rolleyes:

Did Marian let her away with not answering the questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

lets see, how did Mary Qualify....

Her Uncle (was a TD) died in a car crash

Her Dad was elected by the gombeens (thats the Coughlan seat, dontcha know?)

Her Dad died

Mary (Queen of the Gombeens) was elected

Ireland. Independence. This is what 1916 has presented us.

Zanu FF - the One Party State for the selfish Me-Feiners and the gombeens that elect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

She was pure comedy gold - as usual!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

we have an ex social worker who is minister for enterprise & trade during the worst economic disaster in the history of the state,every time i hear dougal sorry mary on the radio or on tv i actually fear for the future of the republic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

robo wrote: »
    Sorry - I thought it was an interview with the singer Mary Coughlan...:rolleyes:

Well at least with the singer, you pay your €30 or whatever and she sings, and you go home happy, and sure if she waffles on a radio show, what of it? But Christ, a minister who we pay handsomely to bear heavy responsibilities, giving us nothing but woolly aspirations wrapped up in waffle? It's just not good enough.

robo wrote: »
    Did Marian let her away with not answering the questions?

Whatever Coughlan lacks in ministerial ability, she makes up for in her talent for evasiveness. Marian did have to ask the same question more than once, but she wasn't going to rip into her a la Vincent Browne either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

fricatus wrote: »
    In fairness, Marian asked her "how are you actually qualified to do the job you're in", but the answer was the usual political BS: "I work hard, and I've determination to succeed, although of course it's a steep learning curve". You'd swear she was on the Apprentice!

I didn't hear the entire interview but I heard that bit (above). Really lame reply from an elected official - and I'm not sure a man would be allowed to get away with an answer like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

It's amazing that she was able to approach Brian Cowen and say "Right, I want something to do with economics". What kind of qualification is that. I want to be a rockstar but I can't just go and ask the Taoiseach for it!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

dave-higgz wrote: »
    It's amazing that she was able to approach Brian Cowen and say "Right, I want something to do with economics". What kind of qualification is that. I want to be a rockstar but I can't just go and ask the Taoiseach for it!!! :mad:

That's the nature of politics in this ****ry. She has to be looked after as she's winning the Donegal seat. And as she said she shares a bond with Biffo and Lenno - they all got their gigs after their respective fathers died.

It was a beaut when MF asked her, ever so nicely, 'what makes you think you're qualified to do the job'. That was good, but she let her waffle and wiggle and worm her way out of it. Reckon she said 'acumen' about 15 times, not always appropriately either.

Ah but sure isn't she great gas altogether?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I couldn't for a while figure out why I was finding this difficult listening. Was it good radio? Was it bad radio? Why am I listening and yet don't want to listen.
    It was important radio. MF didn't nail her. Nor did she let her slip through her fingers. Fact is that Mary is not intelligent. If she had of been disguising her intelligence through the pure gumpff she was dribbling on about MF could have rumbled her. MF could have went searching in earnest. But with this nincompoop there was nada to be be had with whatever frothful searching one could muster.

This was important radio. Not beautiful, not pleasant and not easy listening. It was important as it showed the vapid squaler of intellect left responsible to cart this dustbin of an economy around the blocks. Marian's skills were of no use in this debate. It was akin to senduing Pierreluigi Collina to referee a Special Olympic's qualifying game.

humberklog wrote: »
    I couldn't for a while figure out why I was finding this difficult listening. Was it good radio? Was it bad radio? Why am I listening and yet don't want to listen.
    It was important radio. MF didn't nail her. Nor did she let her slip through her fingers. Fact is that Mary is not intelligent. If she had of been disguising her intelligence through the pure gumpff she was dribbling on about MF could have rumbled her. MF could have went searching in earnest. But with this nincompoop there was nada to be be had with whatever frothful searching one could muster.

This was important radio. Not beautiful, not pleasant and not easy listening. It was important as it showed the vapid squaler of intellect left responsible to cart this dustbin of an economy around the blocks. Marian's skills were of no use in this debate. It was akin to senduing Pierreluigi Collina to referee a Special Olympic's qualifying game.

Yes, but you must question why MF went so light on her. She never went for the jugular.... or did she? by being so nice? or am I giving MF too much credit?

Barname wrote: »
    Yes, but you must question why MF went so light on her. She never went for the jugular.... or did she? by being so nice? or am I giving MF too much credit?

I really don't know Barname. I came to the conclusion that MF thought...'why? This gal's a dunce'. It's the only way my migraine would lift!! If I could put it down to a reason and this was the only thing I could come up with...pity (and dispair/disappointment) on the part of MF.

PS your earlier breakdown of 'events dear boy' leading to her rise was excellent.

I really don't know Barname. I came to the conclusion that MF thought...'why? This gal's a dunce'. It's the only way my migraine would lift!! If I could put it down to a reason and this was the only thing I could come up with...pity (and dispair/disappointment) on the part of MF.

PS your earlier breakdown of 'events dear boy' leading to her rise was excellent.

cheers Humber, yes, its all every disappointing.

You know, everyone is saying that Capitalism has failed of late, I contend that our Political system has failed us more so.

The Political system is being saved closer examination due to all the drama with the markets.

and kudos to Duck for reminding us that the 2 other guys also 'inherited their thrones'

Indeed a Gombeenarchy.

Indeed a Gombeenarchy.

love it!

GOMBEENARCHY

(c) Humberklog

Advertisement