Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB quarterly fees

Options
  • 28-03-2009 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how I can complain to AIB about the quarterly fee?

Is thee an email address somewhere? I would like to avoid "calling".

I am paying 11 euros! so it is nearly 50 euros a year in fees!? This is insane. I am not even going to make it up with my online savings interests.

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Are you not availing of their services?

Free banking is actually a very dangerous thing. Brought in during the height of the boom, the idea was that it is a major loss-leader for the banks, but that they'd make up for it by lending more and more. I mean, think about it, in what other aspect of life do you receive something so expensive - for free?

Anyway, rather than complain (when there is nothing to complain about), you could just be grateful that they do offer free banking and do a bit of research.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

dotsman wrote: »
    Are you not availing of their services?

Free banking is actually a very dangerous thing. Brought in during the height of the boom, the idea was that it is a major loss-leader for the banks, but that they'd make up for it by lending more and more. I mean, think about it, in what other aspect of life do you receive something so expensive - for free?

Anyway, rather than complain (when there is nothing to complain about), you could just be grateful that they do offer free banking and do a bit of research.

+1, people seem to forget that banks are businesses, not charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

This is what I don't understand I already should qualify for free banking so why are they charging me so?

I have a current account and a laser card

"How to qualify:

1. Use your AIB Debit Card to make a purchase, and
    2. Make a debit transaction using AIB Phone & Internet Banking e.g. pay a bill or top up your mobile"

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Well if that is the case, then I'd get in touch with them and query the charge. Don't ring up and give out, because there might be a legitimate reason why there was a charge applied.
    To enjoy a way to bank free of maintenance and transaction fees, each fee quarter you need to:
    2. Make a debit transaction using AIB Phone & Internet Banking e.g. pay a bill or top up your mobile

I see from this you need to do one of each in every fee quarter. If you have definitely done this, then it could be an error on their part, and I'd imagine they should refund your fees when you notify them. Here's
    a link to their website, and if you click on 'Next Steps' in the top right hand corner, then you can fill in an online query form and they will revert.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Thank you both. I will get in touch with them.

Toots, as per the charity comment: I am not running a charity either ;o) and AIB has a history of "mistakenly" overcharging its clients so I should be right to be paranoid.

Cheers,
    :)

• Advertisement

Jeff Bond wrote: »
    Thank you both. I will get in touch with them.

Toots, as per the charity comment: I am not running a charity either ;o) and AIB has a history of "mistakenly" overcharging its clients so I should be right to be paranoid.

Cheers,
    :)

Nothing personal, just the attitude of some customers is that banks are 'robbing' them by charging them fees on current accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

One last thing I just thought of. You should check your statement to see if they have already refunded you. My understanding is that they do a blanket charge to all accounts, and then immediately follow that up with a refund to all eligible accounts.

Likewise with what Toots said, if a mistake was made, it was only a mistake (they are not actually out to get you:)), and whoever you are speaking to on the phone will certainly not have been the one who made the mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Ditch AIB and switch to Halifax where you will get a better rate of interest and free banking without conditions.

See a full list of curent accounts here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Jeff Bond wrote: »
    This is what I don't understand I already should qualify for free banking so why are they charging me so?

I have a current account and a laser card

"How to qualify:

2. Make a debit transaction using AIB Phone & Internet Banking e.g. pay a bill or top up your mobile"

You have to do 1 & 2 above every quarter to qualify for free banking in that quarter.

Advertisement