Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7.62x39 for varmint/target

Options
  • 27-03-2009 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Dshooter wrote: »
    F-classwille,I buy both mags that you mentioned in Eason's in the square.
    To the other question no there is no great detail on most things unless your mad into shotguns and no great detail into F-class shooting, just one other thing that I read in the mag was an article that Paul Wood wrote, he said that ,"our Gardai would appear to issue licences for high power centrefire rifles willy-nilly" ,This quote could not be further from the truth as myself and a few other lads I know are having big problems with anything full bore in rifle and pistol so I would like to know were poaul wood gets his facts.

Hi all! Im new to boards.ie im into shooting and hunting down here in waterford! Im into shotgun shooting primarily pheasant pigeon and clay shooting! Anyway just a question to ye centrefire and target shooters! Could the 7.62 X 39 Russian military round be ever become a varmint round and legalised here in Ireland like the .223 remington? How did the Remington .223 be legalised a few years back? The 7.62 X 39 is supposed to be the cheapest centre fire round in the World!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

7.62x39 is legal here, though good luck getting a licence for an AK to fire it from. You might get a licence for an SKS or a Mini-30, but probably your best bet would be something bolt-action like the CZ 527.
    Thing is, not all the 7.62x39 ammo is going to be easy to get - the chinese stuff is banned from import in the US because it's technically armour-piercing under US law, for example. You'd want to check if the EU has the same classification setup. But if it didn't, then yeah, it's what, 25 cents a round or so? About the same as Eley Tenex or similar .22 stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 shottie

So would one have to be a member of rifle shooting club, to be licensed in centrefires above .223 remington, if you dont want to shoot deer? I fired a saiga AKM and CZ AK 47 at shooting range in Prague last year, i thought they were crap weapons iron sights,etc. Im mostly into shotguns especially the higher quality ones, and a bit of plinking with a .22lr and varmint shooting with my .22 hornet. It would be interesting if we could buy cheap 7.62 X 39 ammo here for target and varmint shooting! I saw the CZ 527 on their website, its more of a carbine than a rifle, also I think Ruger build a bolt gun in 7.62 as well. Could the Nargc or any of the shooting organisations try and make the 7.62 X 39 come availble here? I can understand why the Guards or the government would not want assualt weapons here, semi auto rifle s Ak47,s AR15,s m16 ,s and the like. Can you see a time when we can reload our own ammo one day?

Centrefire ammo is a bit pricey the 22 hornet is 45 euro for 50 , 45 grain remington, i know everyone is jumping on the .223 bandwagon, i was tempted to buy a 223 at the time the only rifle i would settle for was the sako, but i picked up a quality German made hornet for half the price! there s not much of a difference between .22 hornet and 223 ammo prices, im new to te centrefire sport !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Keep in mind the rainbow-like tendencies of the 7.62x39. Not a nice round to try and zero at anything beyond 300 metres in my experience :(

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Most of the 7.62x39 ammo are probably military surplus or military rounds branded and packaged for civilian market (like Wolf). AK being not particularly accurate rifle (to put it mildly) probably does not need ammo manufactured up to target shooting standards.

By the way, apart from CZ-527 there is an interesting Chinese bolt action rifle by Norinco; Marstar in Canada used to sell them for under 300 Canadian dollars IIRC...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

careful now eastern bloc ammo tends to be dodgy as in one factorys ammo will shoot like a dream another will jam every other round im prob wrong but its the czech ammo thats the worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

Also most of the surplus stuff is corrosive.

I suppose the .22 hunting centrefire calibers will always interest varmint hunters and target shooters more that military metric rounds, the 7.62 Russian is a heavy old bullet rainbow tracjetory i believe, 102 grains versus 45 50,grains for the majority of 22 centrefire rounds with flatter tracjectory, such .222 rem, .223 rem 22-50,220 swift the hot new 204 ruger , and so on !! The powers at be would frown apon a heavy military rounds, more potential damage and noise to the countryside! i think we will forget about the Russian 7.62*39 or the 5.45 * 39, The .223 remington was the best to come from the military from 5.56 Nato round! Could we get cheaper Eastern European or russian made .223rem ammo here to compete with our existing brands? I have seen Wolf ammuntion for sale in cabelas website, there are also Czech and Serbian manufacturers! must be way cheaper !!! Has to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Sorry to interrupt ..But !!

why on earth would anyone want one of those when you can get a .308 ?
    Theres no voodoo or magic involved , quite legal and very popular. :confused::confused::confused:

Good quality ammunition , accurate , with a wide variety of firearms from hunting rifles to really good target rifles and ammunition weights from 105gr to 200gr or so , some really cheap ammo if you aren't too picky about accuracy too.

The .22 caliber rounds are fine , but at longer distances where wind and retained velocity are critical ..bigger is better.

By the way !

As far as classifying something as 'Military' is concerned .. the .22LR has been used by the 'Military' too. A hockey stick is a lethal weapon if you hit someone hard enough with it , the point being you will find people get all twitchy about describing stuff as 'Military' or 'Sniper' or 'Tactical' or 'a weapon'

We are target shooters and hunters .. thats it ,the end , and we use sporting firearms. As a target shooter I don't consider my .308 or my .223 military firearms .. just firearms I use for target shooting and my sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Shottie 7.62x39 for varmint some what of an over kill for the type of Varmints we have here and re target, it would be a bit of a banana round re trajectory for target shooting.

My opinion only.

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Malaga2

Horrible target round at anything past 100.. could not consider it suitable for varmints under any conditions..well unless the varmints were wearing bodyarmour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

7.62 is a great round, only thing is were in the wrong neck of the woods to really enjoy it. Red an article recently from the US about AKS n clone of em n ammo came up as a topic. Gone are the days over there where it was crap surplus that u had to use. There are a few companies making good quality hunting rounds. Donno about if you can get it in europe though

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tom Donnavan

shottie wrote: »
    The 7.62 X 39 is supposed to be the cheapest centre fire round in the World!

this brings us back to the argument about firing 5.56 in a .223.
    The millitary spec ammo operates at much higher pressures which may be dangerous in a really tight match chamber also the primers are much harder in millitary spec ammo because of the free floating firing pin.
    I guess good quality target ammo in 7.62 x 39 might not be much cheaper altogether.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

this brings us back to the argument about firing 5.56 in a .223.
    The millitary spec ammo operates at much higher pressures which may be dangerous in a really tight match chamber also the primers are much harder in millitary spec ammo because of the free floating firing pin.
    I guess good quality target ammo in 7.62 x 39 might not be much cheaper altogether.:confused:

Not Necessarily. 7.62 X 39 is a "military" calibre, with no civilian equivalent. There should be no pressure difference between Ball and Match ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

What caliber is the old Moisin rifle ? I wouldn't be surprised there's a few people about in Russia and the old Warsaw Pact countries using one of them mulekickers for deer and boar etc...

What caliber is the old Moisin rifle ? I wouldn't be surprised there's a few people about in Russia and the old Warsaw Pact countries using one of them mulekickers for deer and boar etc...

Its 7.62 X 54 rimmed I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

7.62x54R would be a cracking deer and boar round. Roughly equivalent to the .30-06 in terms of energy figures.

Lack of bullet choice is the problem with it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Jonty wrote: »
    Lack of bullet choice is the problem with it

I think there are a couple of hunting loads manufactured, and obviously for the handloader, the world is your oyster, given it's a .30 cal.

• Advertisement

I think there are a couple of hunting loads manufactured, and obviously for the handloader, the world is your oyster, given it's a .30 cal.

The problem is that there is only a few load datas in the reloading manuals.
    One problem those that reload the 7.62x54R have is that the cartridge is not popular enough to include the amount of data that other cartridges have, such as the .30/06 and .308. Where .308 data in most manuals might include ten to fifteen different powders, the 7.62x54 might only have four or five combinations. The companies do not dislike the 7.62x54, there is just not as much interest in that data. The solution is to use .308 STARTING loads for starting loads in the 7.62x54R. Ed Harris recommended this in an article in American Rifleman some years back. I have tried this with several different powder and bullet combinations, and it works.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/reloading.htm

Advertisement