Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which amp?

Options
  • 28-03-2009 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭

Howdy!
    I'm looking for a new amp for my Strat. I've been plugging in for the last three months, before that I was just an acoustic player. I decided to just pick up a small, cheap second-hand amp from adverts.ie. Turns out this wasn't the best of ideas as the amp just sounds crap, though it was expected with the price.

So here goes. I'm a 22 year old student on a budget of about €200 (I can go a bit above). I'm looking for a solid state practice amp, around 20W or 30W. At the moment I'm mainly playing blues, and I'd listen to bands like the Smiths, Bob Dylan, Joy Division, King Crimson and so on. I've been browsing on Thomann and I've been considering:

Roland Cube 20x
    Roland Cube 30x
    Orange Crush 30r
    Marshall MG30DFx

Anyone have any experience with any of the above, or have any other suggestions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dmullar

Id go with the Vox AD15VT if I had the choice, Unfortunately its only 15 watts, but can be gotten for €175 in xmusic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The cubes are savage little things. The Marshall MG series isn't great now tbh. I woldn't bother with any sub €500 Marshall tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Roland Cubes are probably the best option for practice amps. They all have EQ, various overdrives and some effects. If it is just for bedroom noodling, then that will do the job as good as if not better than any other in it's price range.

For €200 you could get a 5w valve amp from Fender or Peavey from some of the UK sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 toolbox66

No selling here.

feylya

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭funkydunkey

would you consider using a Line6 Pod throught the clean chanel? Would get a wealth of sounds out of it. and the pocket version is fine and cheap. grand yoke for jammin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Notorious wrote: »
    I've been browsing on Thomann and I've been considering:

Roland Cube 20x
    Roland Cube 30x
    Orange Crush 30r
    Marshall MG30DFx

Anyone have any experience with any of the above, or have any other suggestions?

The Roland Cubes seem to be about as good as you get in that kind of budget. I think something by Line6 would be comparable. I don't know anything about that particular Orange.

Strike the Marshall MG off your list and never speak of it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

microcube...I believe there is one for sale on adverts.ie at the mo...BTW what crap amp did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

If your playing blues I've found the Vox AD15/30's are better then the microcubes, sweet sounds out of them and you can probably find one second hand for quite cheap...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Cheers for the pointers folks. Looks like I'll be going for the Cube 30x. Heard a 20x yesterday and man were there some sweet sounds coming out of it. The range of effects will make for some good messing about too.
    I did consider a 5w valve amp, but I'll be jamming with a group so I'll want to be heard!
    would you consider using a Line6 Pod throught the clean chanel? Would get a wealth of sounds out of it. and the pocket version is fine and cheap. grand yoke for jammin.

I will check out the Pod though. Haven't played with one of them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

The pods are unbelievable, got an X3 and I use it for bass and guitar, literally endless amount of sounds out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You'll be heard with a 5w tube amp.
    Nothing like solid state.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭__Robinhood__

ive a pd x3live, unreal, dont even know half of the stuff it can do yet

Valve amps are much louder than the solid state amps of the same wattage.

5w valve amp would be as loud as a 30w solid state. Better sound too, but they would be a bit more expensive.

5w valve amp would be as loud as a 30w solid state. Better sound too, but they would be a bit more expensive.

The loudness thing, yeah, but the tone is subjective. Some of the little 5 watt SE amps going at the moment are trash tbh, and I'd take a 30 watt modeller over them any day. It's hard to find a solidstate amp with a tone like a great valve amp, but there's plenty of valve amps with tones that suck just as badly as any solidstate. :)

It needs to be loud enough to jam with, including a drummer though. Not a wall of noise like the Metallica shows......but, it's enjoyable noise.

Tell you're drummer to buy these and stop playing so hard.
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/millenium_t51_schlagzeugbesen.htm

Better deal for everyone.

Honestly for you though, i'd saving a little longer and get something nicer.
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_pro_junior.htm
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_blues_junior.htm

No experience with this amp, but its ment to be pretty nice. http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_super_champ_xd.htm

Again, no experience, but heard good reviews.
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/epiphone_valve_junior_epajr_gitarrencombo.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

A bit more expensive than 200 yo-yos but the Blackstar HT5 looks like a pretty rockin' bit of kit.

Nah, I think the OP has the right idea. A microcube is good quality:cost ratio. Saving for a slightly less low-end but still low-end amp is kind of a waste of time and money at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just picked up a micro cube over in X Music today as a neighbour friendly soloution for my messing about at home.

I honestly cany gage how loud I am ever playing so having something so small as an option should be great.

Cant wait to get it home this evening and give it a try.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

I had a Cube 30 and it was great for messing at home. However, I have recently bought a Pocket Pod (€90) and that led me to the X3 Live because the Line 6 Pod range is really good. I have not played or heard any of the Line 6 modular amps but if the POD is anything to go by then they would probably be equal to or better than the Cube, so another option for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

adox wrote: »
    Just picked up a micro cube over in X Music today as a neighbour friendly soloution for my messing about at home.

I honestly cany gage how loud I am ever playing so having something so small as an option should be great.

Cant wait to get it home this evening and give it a try.:D

I got mine in X Music yesterday. Went up to give it a test run and was pleasantly suprised to find that it was 20e cheaper than on Thomann. I'm delighted with the amp so far. It's a bargain for under 200e.

Notorious wrote: »
    I got mine in X Music yesterday. Went up to give it a test run and was pleasantly suprised to find that it was 20e cheaper than on Thomann. I'm delighted with the amp so far. It's a bargain for under 200e.

I should have said it was the original micro cube I bought - €99

I got a micro cube about a year and a half ago, was given it for christmas, don't like it at all tbh.
    I use a korg pandora and my scullcandies(big expencive earphones) for late night playing, so as not to disturb.

Haha love this video:

Nah, I think the OP has the right idea. A microcube is good quality:cost ratio.

I actually meant to say Roland Cube in general rather than Microcube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 willdufauve

Fender Champ 600 re-issue. 6V6/12AX7.
    Epiphone Valve Junior combo or head. EL-84/12AX7.

Both are very loud 5 watt valve amps in your price range, even louder w/ an extension cab, Champ has cleaner sound than the VJR, both have great tone and cool vintage vibe for blues & rock. I own both, great bargains, light and easy to carry.

Advertisement