Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiots guide to fishing

Options
  • 28-03-2009 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

Hi. I cannot claim to know anything about fishing...but i would like to! Some things that i really need are:

- a rod
    - and an idea of where to go

I don't want to spend a lot on a rod, basically anything will do. I am looking to fish around lakes and rivers around dublin and wicklow. Preferably somewhere quiet, by that i really mean not busy. Somewhere that you could sit around, have a few sandwiches

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

As you i would not know everything about fishing. I would mainly fish for pike and coarse so i would be limited to that. But my local tackle man is always helpful and will tell you what waters are doing well etc. Id say dont be afraid to ask him. Hes there to help and should definately have a good knowledge of the area. Tell him what your looking for in a rod and how much you have to spend. He will try help you best he can id say. If he gets you interested he knows you'll come back again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

gnolan wrote: »
    Hi. I cannot claim to know anything about fishing...but i would like to! Some things that i really need are:

- a rod
    and a reel, line, hooks, lures, bait, bags, nets, floats,etc etc....
    The sea, rivers, canals, lakes etc.....

Really depends on what you want to do.
    I don't want to spend a lot on a rod, basically anything will do. I am looking to fish around lakes and rivers around dublin and wicklow. Preferably somewhere quiet, by that i really mean not busy. Somewhere that you could sit around, have a few sandwiches

If it's too quiet it probably means there's no fish there, or it's private water.

Start on a canal and do some coarse fishing - it's free and cheap. You don'e even need a rod. Line, hook and bread and you'll be fishing. once you get the bug though, you'll be hooked:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

you'll need much more than a rod mate!

if you're new to it and you want to learn then the best way is to try and find someone to go out with, who will teach you the basics. its not easy to pick it up by reading about it or watching it on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

- a rod

First thing really is to decide what you'd like to fish for - this may be decided by what you have locally & how far you're willing to travel. Coarse would be a good option for you in so far as you have easy access to Blessington lakes.

Second would be to get yourself kitted out & whilst maybe not top notch gear, the likes of Argos sell relatively cheap 'starter kits' - which may fit the bill.

Thirdly & probably most important is to do your homework ! - you need to know how to handle fish, catch & safe return is very important - unhooking techniques, rules & regs etc - catching fish is great, but putting them back alive & well is even better :D

You'll find people from all walks of fishing on here, so feel free to ask

Andi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Start on a canal and do some coarse fishing - it's free and cheap. You don't even need a rod.

Yes, you do need a rod, the only legal method to freshwater fish is with rod and line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Bandit883

All you need is a bag of lime and a net;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

For an absolute beginner you cant beat aldi or lidl. they're always selling rod and reel kits with loads of hooks, lures weights and floats etc for 25-40 euro and other bits and pieces. have a look for a spinning combo. You can always go for more expensive kit when you get more experience. A basic spinning combo will allow you to catch pretty much any type of fish using a variety if methods and baits from drifting a worm down a river for trout to float fishing with sweetcorn on a canal for coarse fish to jigging plugs or spoons or wobbling deadbait for pike in a lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Thanks for the replies. Think i will get myself one of the starter kits, like i say i don;t care too much about the quality of the equipment. I know that better equipment would help, but when i have no experience its probably not worth it.

Blessington lakes seems like a safe enough bet, a little bit far but not too bad. Anything that i should be sure to keep in mind? Is it all 'catch and release'? I read somewhere that if the fish is below 6-8 inches you have to throw it back. That makes sense, but if i catch something bigger i wouldn't mind getting some dinner out of it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Yes, you do need a rod, the only legal method to freshwater fish is with rod and line.

Apologies!

I was thinking of my own experience many moons ago in Salthill. All of us lined up with rods catching nothing and an old man beside me with a line and a hook, hauling in fish to beat the band!

Advertisement