Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boxer question please

Options
  • 28-03-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Quick question for you

I have 2 boxers. I think the bitch is pregnant. I had a friend visiting me the other day and he mentioned that I would have to seperate the two dogs if she is pregnant. Kinda like rabbits etc.

I have never heard this before & was wondering if there's any truth to it. I will be bringing the bitch around to the vet to get his opinion if she might be pregnant but until I do should I seperate them. I have them in their own large pen but if they must be seperated while pregnant I'll have to do something for him or her.

any info will be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

I'm no expert but I don't see any need to separate them. In a wild breeding pack males and females live together and rear the pups. It'd be a different story maybe if your male boxer didn't impregnate the female, if it was a different male.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mad_for_it

yes both together since pups.. i keep rabbits and when they mate together the male gets seperated closer to the time of birth i am just unsure about dogs thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Not at all, just seperate them when she is giving birth-just in case!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

I keep mine together when the female is pregnant and when pupping, (you have to be there all the time - bring in the female to the pupping area well before she is due and settle her and the male into a routine eg who sleeps where). if the daddy isnt there when being born the female may become possessive of the puppies later on and not want another dog (regardless of whether they are familiar to her coming in and may feel threatened) - you should also be careful that the puppies safety is looked after ( a giddy big strong male could hurt a newborn while licking nudging or playing with a puppy!)
    Plus some females want some alone bonding time with the puppies too so be sure to allow this also and for the daddy too once the puppies are big enough. Its lovely when the male and female raise the puppies together and i cant figure out why so many people seperate the female and puppies from the male.

Advertisement