Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Service Wanted and Offered.

• 28-03-2009 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Ok folks - In response to the mixed opinion regarding the charter change which directed certain posts to the adverts format, the moderators of this forum have considered all replies and comment. In order to gain an understanding we have researched far and wide within the boards site as to how best to proceed. Not withstanding the poll with a result in favour of the change, the overall views of the forum have been listened to and a compromise which I think is workable and relevant to all opinions has been found. In particular I want to mention LoLth who has given us all a final push on this which I think has seen it 'over the line'.

Shortly I will create a new thread which will be stickied (groan! yet another sticky) which will be the appropriate place for posts relating to services wanted and for a first - services being offered. There are rules governing that thread so please read them, take time to understand them, and play by the rules.

I want to thank everyone who expressed their opinion whether in favour or against the change. I also want to thank the community managers, Dev, the moderators from many other forums who helpfully made suggestions as to an appropriate compromise and who shared their own experiences within their own forum.

I trust that the forum will acknowledge the considerable shift that this has been and will approach the 'services' subject with a common maturity.

After its posted shortly, feel free to ask questions on this thread to clarify its operation. My online time today is somewhat restricted but as soon as is possible I will answer any queries.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Great idea just what is needed imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

A good and fair compromise I think, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Great compromise, hope it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Good stuff, the voice of reason (typing) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Great idea... Well done to those who came up with this... Simple but will do the job perfectly..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Decision well made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

*groan* another sticky? :p Have the stickies started breeding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

'tis a good idea, but will need to be policed well. there are already 2 posts in the sticky that would fall under the one post wonder/former poster category IMO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This subject has not ever been forgotten & there has been a lot going on to find a way to have available in a managable way. What you have is Mark XXIII of the options considered. It is a trial to see how it goes & also to see if it needs any fine tuning or drastic changes. Hopefully it will be fairly close the way it is, time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Firstly, thank you to everyone for the support on this matter expressed on thread here or by pm - it is very much appreciated.

Just a general update for the forum users - the initial posts have hit the sticky set up for the purpose. I have reviewed them all and am satisfied that they generally are in the spirit intended by the thread. I'd reiterate the "less is more" ideal in terms of the amount of content you post but in fairness there hasn't been anything posted to date that has been overly excessive. Remember adverts can be used for more information which will yield greater coverage generally and a link can be included in your post to there.

I've done a 'background' check on any user who has posted that I may not have been overly familiar with and have ensured that there is an active posting history on the photography forum associated with each poster which is essentially the rationale of qualifying to post in the first place.

I want to clarify that should posts be removed as a result either insufficient on forum activity or inactivity for a period, that they can be reinstated when a user either builds up 'posting credit' or returns to posting on the forum. In the latter situation and we encounter it regularly, a user who has been away or busy for a period of time has their previous posting history to go by when they reactivate on the forum and the expectation on them is that they continue to be active.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You might want to update the main charter to reflect this new move.

That way people in theory will have been officially informed about the thread before ignoring it and posting in the main section anyway. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Charter updated.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sounds good

Advertisement