Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband dilemma!

Options
  • 28-03-2009 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hello folks,
    Sorry if i am posting to any similar thread!

Heres my dilemma, meself and de wife moved into a new apt (kilbeggan), hopefully will only be short term. Anyway we both got mobiles so no need for landline, but connection is there...we want to get the broadband sorted and i think mobile is not too much of an option as the mobile coverage is only average at best beside the window!

She wants to go for a phoneline and broadband but is there not a possibility of just broadband thru the phoneline or some sort of booster for mobile broadband that would suit us?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

tikprik wrote: »
    Hello folks,
    Sorry if i am posting to any similar thread!

She wants to go for a phoneline and broadband but is there not a possibility of just broadband thru the phoneline or some sort of booster for mobile broadband that would suit us?

Any advice is much appreciated.
    I'm afraid your wife is right! Mobile "Broadband" is just not reliable enough to be called real Broadband. It is very hit and miss - and performance depends on how many people are using it in your cell at the time.

Although most fixed line Broadband is based on 12 month contracts, eircom do have 6 month contracts although you will probably pay a bit more than the 12 month deals.

While you say you only use mobiles, you would be crazy to ignore all the free minutes that are bundled in with fixed line Broadband deals. If you use these minutes when you are at home you will probably find that both of you can opt for a lower cost mobile bundle and save on mobile costs. We are saving a fortune on the eircom Free calls to Meteor bundle, having ported our mobile numbers over to Meteor also. Fantastic deal, but I believe that they are only taking new customers until the end of this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dondwyer157

bugfreebob wrote: »
    I'm afraid your wife is right! Mobile "Broadband" is just not reliable enough to be called real Broadband. It is very hit and miss - and performance depends on how many people are using it in your cell at the time.

Although most fixed line Broadband is based on 12 month contracts, eircom do have 6 month contracts although you will probably pay a bit more than the 12 month deals.

While you say you only use mobiles, you would be crazy to ignore all the free minutes that are bundled in with fixed line Broadband deals. If you use these minutes when you are at home you will probably find that both of you can opt for a lower cost mobile bundle and save on mobile costs. We are saving a fortune on the eircom Free calls to Meteor bundle, having ported our mobile numbers over to Meteor also. Fantastic deal, but I believe that they are only taking new customers until the end of this month.

I wouldn't say that mobile broadband is not reliable enough to be called real broadband! I've been using Vodafone mobile broadband for the past year and a half without any problems! I even bought a mobile broadband router a few months ago, and now i have an always-on connection over both a wired and WiFi network. I don't get particularly great signal (it tends to vary from 22% to as low as 6%) but this doesn't really affect the speed of the internet. You would need 3G signal, but most operators offer a trial week at first where, if you bring it home and find it doesn't work, you can bring it back and get a full refend.

Granted performance depends on how many people are using it in your cell at the time, but that's an issue for wired broadband too!! And from personal experience, my internet is never slow. And i doen't live in an urban area. So I wouldn't rule out mobile broadband either - though if price is your biggest issue, and wired broadband is available, then ot's probably best if you go with wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I am not sure about your area, but are there any wireless broadband providers. Saw something in the local tesco's and it was a ripwave modem I think.

Would this be an option. I have not used it myself so I can't comment.

I use 3 broadband, and despite the complaints on other threads I find the service OK. As a previous poster said, not comparable with real broadband but a lot better than dialup (showing my age).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tikprik

well i suppose cost would be a factor mainly because we both have internet access at work so we wouldnt necessarily use it every evening, i suppose what i'm really looking for is to findout what is the best value for money?

Advertisement