Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

somewhere nice to eat in Athlone

• 28-03-2009 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am bringing herself out for a nice meal and a good night out.
    Could anyone recommend a nice restaurant in the Athlone area.
    i heard the Wineport is lovely.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Thyme (used to be the old olive grove)... Serious steak! They do a nice duck aswell!

Wineport is pretentious as **** but if you have the money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 marles

Personal opinion here but Wineport is fab and a wonderful venue but a little over priced also if you are going to have a glass or two of vino then you will have to get a taxi.
    In town you have King Khaoi,wonderful food excellent standard.
    Left Bank Bistro-really nice food the menu hasn't changed a huge amount.Can be a little over priced.
    Hatters Lane is really nice,well priced with a good wine list.Really fresh well cooked food.
    Olive Grove-I'm not a fan.Don't like the food,or the service.
    Thyme-(in the old Olive Grove)Lovely food,really bad service if you are unfortunate enough to get two particular waitresses,there are two other staff memebers who are really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Glasson Village Inn is great quality and more reasonable than the crazy pricesat Wineport. Crap decor though, like sitting in my Granny's drawing room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Eireann

Pizza Mama

Charcoal Grill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Glassan Village is an amazing restaurant. Wineport isn't a patch on it if you like a plate of good food. Plus its in the village so you can have a pint or two in Farrells or Grogans before and after.

Khin Koa on the connacht side is an amazing asian restaurant. highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DubShelley

marles wrote: »
    Hatters Lane is really nice,well priced with a good wine list.Really fresh well cooked food.
    =QUOTE]

Anyone know if the menu for Hatters is online anywhere? Heading to Athlone for a Hen in June and looking for somewhere to eat on the Friday night for about 15...would it be suitable??

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

marles wrote: »
    Left Bank Bistro-really nice food the menu hasn't changed a huge amount.Can be a little over priced.

Ate there recently ... barely enough food on the plate to fill a sparrow :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 poggy26

charcoal grill is the must underrated restaurant/food place in the town!..non greasy good cheap food 5.50 1/4 pounder meal,fresh as ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 golfers

Left Bank Bistro by a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

di bella does a nice shteak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

golfers wrote: »
    Left Bank Bistro by a mile

I would agree only if there was no other places within that mile ... and I had no means of transport to anywhere else outside that mile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭nikki79

Hey goin to hen this wknd in athlone anyone know off good pub grub??Dont wanna go for 3 course meal as wont be able for major session after!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Eireann wrote: »
    Pizza Mama

Charcoal Grill

I love the Charcoal Grill yum yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 JackieT

nikki79 wrote: »
    Hey goin to hen this wknd in athlone anyone know off good pub grub??Dont wanna go for 3 course meal as wont be able for major session after!!

The Shack is good for lunch, and the Prince bar does decent evening meals, I think they serve food til half 8 in the evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Guys,

Whats the address of the Charcoal Grill and also does anyone know where i can find a menu on the web?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

KMFCross wrote: »
    Guys,

Whats the address of the Charcoal Grill and also does anyone know where i can find a menu on the web?

The Charcoal grill is located beside McDonald's at the golden island shopping centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

The 2 best places in town are the Row Inn Row and the Olive Grove. Great food in both and service is usually good but obviously that depends on how busy they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

The 2 best places in town are the Row Inn Row and the Olive Grove. Great food in both and service is usually good but obviously that depends on how busy they are.

ah now I wouldn't say that myself. Thyme is pretty nice, as too is Pizza Mama. I find both to be consistent with quality of food and service. Have only eaten once in the new Olive Grove and was not impressed. There's a lot of places in town to eat and most of them are great. I prefer Lotus over Row Inn Rows food, but obviously not sit in :P

Has anyone tried Made In Italy (old Le Chateau)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Athlonegirl

Made in Italy is well worth a visit. t is seemingly owned by the same people who own Il Colesso over the Quays bar in Northgate street. The decor is fabulous very upmarket. The menu is very varied something for everyone on it and the prices are very reasonable. The most expensive main courses are steak or Hake at around 20 -22 euro including 2 sides of veg and italian potatos which are like huge chunky homemade chips. There is a huge variety of pizza and pasta dishes around the 15 euro mark. Starters are big portion sizes too so mite be wise to share one. Plenty of beer and wine too. I would put Made in Italy as one of my top 3 places to eat in Athlone for either lunch or dinner. :D

Evening bar food in the prince is excellent too and huge portions with everything from steaks to sandwichs available and the garlic mushrooms are to die for.

Personally I think the olive grove has gone down in recent times its very hit and miss and expensive for what you get. Top deck is also way overpriced and alot of extras for your side orders too. Hatters is a treat but again quite expensive but nice food and consistently good. The left bank bistro is ok too lunch menu is nice for roughly 15 euro. I dont like the food in the palace myself. Pavarottis is nice enough especially the pizza and always a good atmosphere, pizza mamas is good value nice food good menu and the bonus that you can bring your own wine and beer so saves alot of money really.

Take aways are plentiful in town too with Al fredos, bethleme, the genoa cafe and roma all having homemade pizza and chips. You will also find the usual chains supermacs, macdonalds, burger king and KFC....:o

Advertisement