Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Found:

• 28-03-2009 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Genuine: Found 27th March in Strandhill Village.

Lovely female black labrador/labradoodle type dog. About 3 years old..well trained...well behaved...v good with kids.

Wearing black.grey collar. Medium to big dog.

This lovely girl has been well looked after and loved by someone.

I have an idiea that ahe may have been brought to the village and left..and possible not by her real owners.

This dog may have been taken from another area and left here.

contact me via pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Fair play to you for posting this :)

Just a word of warning - there have been several threads about a rogue dog warden in roscommon and sligo, possibly targetting labradors. If someone does contact you regarding her, please try to make sure she belongs to them somehow :)

I've removed your email due to site policy - please use private messaging instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pete2009

Thank you Xiney for your advice...I hope we get a result...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lunasa_lady

Well done for taking care of the dog while you are trying to find the rightful owner. Have u been in touch with the gardai? When my dog went walkabout I contacted them and they had a report from a kind person who saw my dog walking around... lucky for me :):)

Thank you Lunasa Lady.

She really is such a gentle dog. Graceful and happy.

I cant understand it...she is such a perfect girl. Her coat is very clean and it still have the aroma of shampoo...It almost like someone got her ready to abandon her in the hope if she looked better she would get a home quicker. She has been well looked after thats for sure, so maybe she just had a shampoo befroe she went missing.

I think perhaps she was "taken" from another area to sell, but she was abandoned instead. I really think that is what happened. I think she is a Labradoodle. We have put posters up i nshops and I have called around houses...but no-one recognises her

I have contacted the Garda. Posted on lostdogs.ie, Gum Tree, put out messages on local radio, ISPCA etc. I do not think she is from this area.

We will try our best to get her back home. But right now she is lying stretched out on the settee after sharing some of my chicken sandwich.

I hope your dog wasnt missing for long, it must be horrible to loose a dog. And there seems to be a lot of dogs going missing right now. One thing is for sure, she is not going to the pound.

We shall keep our fingers crossed. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

pete2009 wrote: »
    Thank you Lunasa Lady.

She really is such a gentle dog. Graceful and happy.

I cant understand it...she is such a perfect girl. Her coat is very clean and it still have the aroma of shampoo...It almost like someone got her ready to abandon her in the hope if she looked better she would get a home quicker. She has been well looked after thats for sure, so maybe she just had a shampoo befroe she went missing.

I think perhaps she was "taken" from another area to sell, but she was abandoned instead. I really think that is what happened. I think she is a Labradoodle. We have put posters up i nshops and I have called around houses...but no-one recognises her

I have contacted the Garda. Posted on lostdogs.ie, Gum Tree, put out messages on local radio, ISPCA etc. I do not think she is from this area.

We will try our best to get her back home. But right now she is lying stretched out on the settee after sharing some of my chicken sandwich.

I hope your dog wasnt missing for long, it must be horrible to loose a dog. And there seems to be a lot of dogs going missing right now. One thing is for sure, she is not going to the pound.

We shall keep our fingers crossed. Thanks again.

I commend you for your actions pete. If I was you now (and I am a dog lover and have done this in the past) I would bring the dog to the vets, They might be chipped and have an owner registered. If you are happy to keep the dog until such time as the owner is found I would ask the vet for a bill and pay it, and not release the dog to its owners until they pay the said bill. Any bona fide owner will have no problem in paying it to have the safe return of their dog, and any chancers will sod off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Why not post a pic of dog in case someone here will know the animal.

Big Mac, many thanks for advice. I intentionally decided not to post a photo. (See Xineys post).

I stood outside the school where she was found this morning to see if anyone recognises her. No joy.

One parent told me her puppy was "taken" by a girl with one of the vans that roam around the country collecting clothes for "charity". Luckily she caught the girl with the puppy hidden under her coat.

There are a lot of dogs going missing around here, particularly pedigree and young dogs, and I believe that they are being taken to be sold on into other areas.

And there is genuinely a bogus "dog warden" going around lifting labradors in particular. He even has a van with "Dog Warden" on the side. These people are highly orgnaised and targetted in what they are doing.

I am bringing her to the vets today to see if she has a micro chip.

I just had her on the beach. She is used to running in the sea. She is a family dog. And I believe she has been "taken" from another area.

I want to be sure that we get her real owners.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

By all means post a picture of the dog on here,someone here might recognise it.
    After all,Sligo is quite a small place.

Xiney removed your e-mail address because it is personal information,it would be like posting your mobile number on the internet.You have no idead who can get hold of it and start spamming you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

bobcar61 wrote: »
    By all means post a picture of the dog on here,someone here might recognise it.
    After all,Sligo is quite a small place.

Xiney removed your e-mail address because it is personal information,it would be like posting your mobile number on the internet.You have no idead who can get hold of it and start spamming you...

Maybe an idea to post in all the regoins with picture? (on boards.ie I mean)

Somebody must be missing her!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Big Mac, many thanks for advice. I intentionally decided not to post a photo. (See Xineys post).

I stood outside the school where she was found this morning to see if anyone recognises her. No joy.

One parent told me her puppy was "taken" by a girl with one of the vans that roam around the country collecting clothes for "charity". Luckily she caught the girl with the puppy hidden under her coat.

There are a lot of dogs going missing around here, particularly pedigree and young dogs, and I believe that they are being taken to be sold on into other areas.

And there is genuinely a bogus "dog warden" going around lifting labradors in particular. He even has a van with "Dog Warden" on the side. These people are highly orgnaised and targetted in what they are doing.

I am bringing her to the vets today to see if she has a micro chip.

I just had her on the beach. She is used to running in the sea. She is a family dog. And I believe she has been "taken" from another area.

I want to be sure that we get her real owners.

Thanks again

To remember: the bogus dog warden has a white van. The Legit warden drives a red VW transporter. IF in doubt, call the dog warden and ask. The genuine dog warden won't mind at all if he is who he says he is.

• Advertisement

Hi All.

I spoke with the Dog Warden for Sligo.

In recent weeks there was a specific incident of 2 dogs were "taken" from their homes.

Bizzarely, they were then left back some weeks after they were taken....HOWEVER...they had been cleaned/washed and shampooed.

It would appear that they were getting prepared to be sold on. Sale falls through and dogs dumped wherever. In the above case they were dropped back to more or less from where they were taken.

I am pretty sure this dog is from way outside Sligo.

She is pretty much a Labradoodle, with the looks of a Wolf hound. Some one is missing her....Im getting her checked for Microchip later today.

Keep those fingers crossed. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Fair play to you Pete. Hope you find the owners soon.

if one of my dogs ever gets lost I hope someone like you finds her!! Hope you find the owner. if I hear anything about a missing dog I'll let you know

Thank you all for your support and advice.

I met with local representives of the Dog Sanctuary and A veterinary nurse this evening.

She is about 18 months old. She has been neutered.

However her micro chip has been removed.... She may have been taken from another region, anywhere from Donegal to Wexford, Eniskillen to England.

She has however been very well looked after.

Hopefully photo attached:

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Aww, such a cute dog, hope you find the owners!
    Fair play to you for doing all this to bring the dog home :D
    We need more people like you in this world, thats for sure!!

Thanks MD...will keep you posted. Our canine friends bring a lot of what we need more of in this [EMAIL="world...L@P"]world...L@P[/EMAIL]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

fair play pete keep up the good work,hope you and the dog get a good result

her microchip was REMOVED?!

holy crap! I assume she has some kind of scar (otherwise, how could they tell)

Indeed, its unthinkable that people would go so far as to remove the micro chip. But yeah, it was there, a scar about the size of half an inch on the back at the top of her neck. Apparently this a more a UK practice to plce it there...even more alarming when considering wjere she may have been taken from.........But quite clearly a deliberate job (thin straight cut with scar tissue). The veterinary nurse found it.

This is big business for these people. When the the 2 other dogs I mentioned that had been left back after going missing, they were both drowsy, drugged probably...

This whole experience has altered my opinion about leaving my dog in the garden unattended with no-one in the house. These folk case the joint, and come back in a week or do and take what they've previously spotted.

Whats the best way to up-load the message and picture so that it gets to all regions Xiney? Is that OK to do?

Thanks

well, there isn't a very easy way to put it on all regions. leave it with me.

• Advertisement

No worries, Xiney, I can do that..you have enough to do I'm sure.

I have tomorrow off, I can post it up across the regions, as along as thats cool with you.

Ok, that thinking didn't take long.

I think the best thing to try now would be to post it in the Animals and Pet Issues forum. The owner of the dog is most likely to post there when looking for it, than anywhere else other than their region, which could be anywhere and spamming all of them isn't on.

If the location of the microchip is a UK practise, it could be that the dog is originally from the North. BUT, it could be that she came along with her owners when they moved elsewhere - our cat is Canadian but he's here with us in Galway (with his microchipped neck)

The dog could literally have been picked up from anywhere so someone on boards might know something.

Is there any other forums specifically for missing dogs?

Thanks Xiney,

that makes sense, i'll do that tomorrow.

From Canada to Galway...well travelled. he must have settled ok by now then. when we moved house our cat Woody tried to escape the new house by shinning up the chimney, but it was blocked up...he was one cool character...rescue fella, but he sorted the dogs out good and proper with one lift of his paw...cool as a cucumber...never flinched under pressure....dogs scared whitless...ha ha, great memories.

Haha!! He sounds brilliant.

Theo (Theodore) is a rescue as well, got him from the Montreal SPCA in Fall '05. He's an adorable, cuddly little muffin.

Thannks BC..i havent used this site before, so that would have been a good starting point. i'll do that tomorrow.

This is a great forum, glad it exists.

will keep you all posted, and thanks so much to all of you for your encouragement.

pete

The dog could literally have been picked up from anywhere so someone on boards might know something.

Is there any other forums specifically for missing dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

I've heard recently that pedigree dogs are being snatched outside their homes, taken to unknown places and are breeding them with other pedigree dogs.

Then when the job is done, the dog is dumped! Awful!

I hope you find her owner!!

We would be lost without them wouldnt we..

hope we get a result for my new doggie friend and her owners, and me too I guess.

I dont want to see her go, but I really want her back home with her owners..thanks Xiney

Xiney wrote: »
    Haha!! He sounds brilliant.

Theo (Theodore) is a rescue as well, got him from the Montreal SPCA in Fall '05. He's an adorable, cuddly little muffin.

That is exaclty what is happening...its a nationwide practice.

if they take a dog and thet find out its been neutered they dump it anywhere.

sometimes they dont know its neutered for a while, then they dump it...

Its horrible. when childen loose a pet in these circumstances the hurt can stay with them for life.

I've heard recently that pedigree dogs are being snatched outside their homes, taken to unknown places and are breeding them with other pedigree dogs.

Then when the job is done, the dog is dumped! Awful!

I hope you find her owner!!

• Advertisement

Cheers Chief...
    fair play pete keep up the good work,hope you and the dog get a good result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Pete fair play to you for looking after the dog and doing what you're doing.

I run a dog site and we have a Lost/Found section. Would you like me to cross-post to there?

Irish microchips are put at the top of the neck/under where the collar would go also, its not just a UK/NI thing.

Thanks Beth. I will def do that tomorrow.

I hope that with the increasing use of the web that awareness of such horrible practices are increased, and vigilance improved...

thanks Beth, best wishes to you
    Beth wrote: »
    Pete fair play to you for looking after the dog and doing what you're doing.

I run a dog site and we have a Lost/Found section. Would you like me to cross-post to there?

Irish microchips are put at the top of the neck/under where the collar would go also, its not just a UK/NI thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Any joy finding the owner Pete?

I am delighted to report that "Lily" was returned to her true owners today.

Lily was "taken" in late October 2008 from Bray County Wicklow.

Lily has fabulous owners who were able to prove beyond all doubt that Lily was theres.

Lily was a birthday present for one the girls, so we are absolutley over the moon that Lily is going home. But we shall miss her of course.

Hopefully this will again prove that we should never give up hope.

"Lily" was taken along with another brown Labradoodle called "Lara" and we shall all increase our vigilance in a bid to get Lara back home too.

Thanks to Eboards.ie for assisting to kick start the search for Lily's owners and thanks to all the members who gave advice and shared the information. Result!!

Thanks Xiney.

Pete

Fair play to you for posting this :)

Just a word of warning - there have been several threads about a rogue dog warden in roscommon and sligo, possibly targetting labradors. If someone does contact you regarding her, please try to make sure she belongs to them somehow :)

I've removed your email due to site policy - please use private messaging instead.

That is definitely great news Pete!

No need to post it so many times, though :)

• Advertisement

That's great news pete:)

How did someone from Wicklow hear that their dog was found in Sligo,such a small place:eek:

As Xiney said,once was enough but it's no harm.

The ad was kindly posted by Beth onto other websites, and thats where to connection was made. But it started off here at boards.ie

That's great new pete:)

How did someone from Wicklow hear that their dog was found in Sligo,such a small place:eek:

As Xiney said,once was enough but it's no harm.

I wonder if you and the owners would consider going to rte and other media with this story? It might help in the search for the other dog.

great news!! Thanks for getting us posted!! result!! hope they find the other dog too! and Thanks to Beth!!!

CONGRATULATIONS ..... well done for tracing the owners :) You are such a kind hearted person taking care of the lovely Lily :):)

• Advertisement

Indeed, that's been looked into at the moment.

I wonder if you and the owners would consider going to rte and other media with this story? It might help in the search for the other dog.

Lily was given as a present to the youngest girl in the family for her birthday last year. This year she didnt want anything for her birthday as she said she wanted Lily back...even after all those months missing....then just a couple of days after her birthday her dad traced Lily via websites...magic!

CONGRATULATIONS ..... well done for tracing the owners :) You are such a kind hearted person taking care of the lovely Lily :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Well done, Pete. You are a star!

Lily was given as a present to the youngest girl in the family for her birthday last year. This year she didnt want anything for her birthday as she said she wanted Lily back...even after all those months missing....then just a couple of days after her birthday her dad traced Lily via websites...magic!

That's soooo great Pete. :):):).... I've got that feel-good factor now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

That's such a lovely story.
    Well done Pete and well done to Beth too.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Brilliant work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Well done Pete!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Great news Pete. Well done.

Thanks folks, but sure twas nothing more than anyone would do who had half a heart and the ability to home a lost dog.

Lily left a big pair of muddy paw prints on the kitchen window ledge, and I'm not intending to clean them off!

Bye and thanks!

PS: Keep and eye out too for Lilys sister Lara, a cream/brown coloured Labradoodle taken at the same time. About 14 months old, but they look older than that....thanks again

rhonin wrote: »
    Great news Pete. Well done.

Thanks folks, but sure twas nothing more than anyone would do who had half a heart and the ability to home a lost dog.

Lily left a big pair of muddy paw prints on the kitchen window ledge, and I'm not intending to clean them off!

Bye and thanks!

PS: Keep and eye out too for Lilys sister Lara, a cream/brown coloured Labradoodle taken at the same time. About 14 months old, but they look older than that....thanks again

A photo of lara would be great, then we can all look out for her! Maybe get the owner to post one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement