Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First build problem!

Options
  • 28-03-2009 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Hey i built my new pc last night and it was working fine...

Then today i opened it up again and added two fans while also doing some cable managment. I put everything back where it was last night but now when i turn it on,

sometimes straight away after been turned on it sounds like it shuts down but then suddenly jumps into action again.

Most of the times The screen doesn't recognise it's on

and one time the screen did recognise it but then pretty much straight away i had blue screen!

I figured it was the graphics card so it tried to secure it a bit more... Didn't work :(

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Effluo wrote: »
    Hey i built my new pc last night and it was working fine...

Then today i opened it up again and added two fans while also doing some cable managment. I put everything back where it was last night but now when i turn it on,

sometimes straight away after been turned on it sounds like it shuts down but then suddenly jumps into action again.

Most of the times The screen doesn't recognise it's on

and one time the screen did recognise it but then pretty much straight away i had blue screen!

I figured it was the graphics card so it tried to secure it a bit more... Didn't work :(

Any ideas?

What OS you using?

all you can do is recheck all your connections and reseat everything. Could be a cable somethere tripping off the motherboard causing a short, check all cables.

If you still have issues after that look at your bios settings: what did you cahnge last in the bios?

After that strip everthing down, take the motherboard out, remove all parts, only pop back in the ram, cpu, and gfx card, PSU and see if it will boot.
    Obviously make sure you have something non conductive under the motherboard when you have it outside of the case! Anti static bag or anti static plastic clamshells for the motherboard will do the trick.

(To power on the "pc" outside of the case:short the 2 pins where the power button for the case is connected to the motherboard, use a screwdriver to do this)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Vista home premium 64

now when i switch it on it goes to the gigabyte screen and then the power goes off and it turns itself on again and then it goes off and turns itself on again until i hold in the power button :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

As Uber said get that mobo out, check all the motherboard standoffs in the case mobo tray are present and correct and rebuild using a minimum of components - no graphics card unless your mobo has none integrated, mobo, CPU+cooler and RAM only. Before you power up again remove the mobo's CMOS battery and replace after ~30 seconds. That should ensure the mobo is at stock settings. Also check if the mobo has jumpers for pre-setting the FSB; if it does then check your manual; do the jumpers conform to the pattern needed for the stock FSB speed needed for the CPU? Then power up and see what happens... If all is well add components in order of importance, see if it boots each time.

Solitaire wrote: »
    As Uber said get that mobo out, check all the motherboard standoffs in the case mobo tray are present and correct and rebuild using a minimum of components - no graphics card unless your mobo has none integrated, mobo, CPU+cooler and RAM only. Before you power up again remove the mobo's CMOS battery and replace after ~30 seconds. That should ensure the mobo is at stock settings. Also check if the mobo has jumpers for pre-setting the FSB; if it does then check your manual; do the jumpers conform to the pattern needed for the stock FSB speed needed for the CPU? Then power up and see what happens... If all is well add components in order of importance, see if it boots each time.

Solitare comes up with the goods again! Cheers matey i took out the battery and it's now grand! kinda strange though when i went into windows my desktop was 100% black!!! ohhhhhhhhhh

• Advertisement

Effluo wrote:
    i took out the battery and it's now grand!

Then a dodgy BIOS (or setting therein) was a part of the problem. Have you tried it with all the hardware reattached yet? ;)
    kinda strange though when i went into windows my desktop was 100% black!!! ohhhhhhhhhh

I don't like the sound of that... unless you were using a graphics card previously and had this issue when testing with a different card or integrated graphics. But if not... well, if issues persist try forced-uninstalling and then installing the latest working version of your system's video drivers.

My windows was acting up a bit, in terms of it wouldn't accept my registration key for 3 days. So that's why i thought the screen was all black!

But now that you say about the graphics card! It's a wee bit odd!

I've been playing a nice bit of left4dead on steam and everytime i go to start the game it says i should update my drivers... Now i was pretty sure i already had the newest drivers but i downloaded them again anyway!

It was the same driver but steam still said and says to this day that i should upgrade my graphics card driver cause it's out of date?

Graphics card is an xfx 4870 1gb btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

This happened to me too :S:S new build with gigabyte and it doesnt get to desktop :S

Small chance that a driver install has gone belly-up and may be also messing up attempts to update the drivers to boot. You may need to run a registry cleanup and then use a proper driver removal tool to get all the gooey bits of botched driver out (ewww :D) before trying to reinstall a completely fresh set from the latest.

Up for suggestions about what Catalyst-killer tools are good as the official ATi driver uninstaller isn't the best - tends to leave behind a mess of nasty registry keys between the teeth :p Those could have been contributing to the problem in the first place! :o

In any case that should hopefully fix things but it still might be Windows (or even worse the video card!) that's gone and messed itself :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement