Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do with oxtail-y coconut milk?

• 28-03-2009 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭

Making an oxtail massaman curry tonight (first attempt at making the paste myself, dying to see how it turns out!) First part of the recipe is simmering the oxtail in 500mls of coconut milk mixed with 500 mls of water and a few cardamon pods thrown in for a couple of hours and then picking the meat off the moocow. The recipe says not to use the remaining oxtaily coconut milk for the curry itself but to keep it and use it for something else.

Any ideas of how I could use it up? It smells gorgeous ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

stir fry some veg and prawns, add noodles and your sauce. Add crushed peanuts on top yum yum.

Whats your recipe for the paste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Got it from 'the essential wok cookbook', found it lying round at home

10 dried red chillis- soaked in boiling water, seeds removed and chopped (had dried birdseye chillis at home from my chili plant so instead am using 5 of these- hopefully it'll work out)

5 chopped red asian shallots
    1 finely chopped lemon grass (white part only)
    1 tbsp fresh galangal, chopped
    10 chopped cloves of garlic
    3 cardamon pods
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp shrimp paste (which I learned today smells pretty rotten)
    1/4 tsp black peppercorns
    1 tbsp coriander seeds
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

the shallots, cardamon, cumin, coriander, shrimp paste (wrapped in foil), garlic, galangal and peppercorns went into the oven at 180 for 5 minutes

then added to the rest of the ingredients and blended into a paste (and then I had to pick out the peppercorns, beat them up with a mortar and pestle and put them back in again cos they refused to die)

smells really lovely, hopefully it tastes as nice as it smells

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

If you do like oxtail you should cook a "Sop Buntut" these days. Its an Indonesian broth and its just delicious. Cheers Oliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Wait and see what the beefy/coconuty/watery broth turns out like. If it smells tasty, use it to cook a flavoured coconut rice by absorption to go with the curry.

Advertisement