Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre used tools and equipment

• 28-03-2009 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hello all,

I wonder if there is any one place in Ireland where I could shop and browse for second hand tools and equipment .The Web has not been useful (most of the stuff is UK based and shipping costs are prohibitive).

e.g. I am looking for a 1"5/16 (34mm) ring spanner to demolish (i.e. transform into a "special" tool to turn the engine on the Jag when doing adjustments) and it hurts to have to buy one brand new from Halfrauds when I could probably pick up an old one for a few cents somewhere. Plus an old one might be easier to heat and bend than a brand new kryptonite-molybdene alloy.

Also looking for ramps...

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Can't answer the original question.

It is expensive to get stuff from the UK, but if you can wait for someone to go or collectively order then that takes the sting out of it. (I spent a few bob in Machine Mart when I was over at New Year. :D , also collected a lot of 10w40 synthetic when I was last over)

1 5/16" AF is the size of BL FWD hub nuts. I've got a couple of sockets in that size.

(I've just looked in the toolbox beside me at the desk and they're both there. Nearest spanner is a Britool 1 1/8" AF, 1 1/16" AF double open ended.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Eric318

Thanks for that. The socket wont do, as it is quite cramped down there where the sun never shines...

Is there any good place to buy stuff from in the North that I could drive to one weekend and pile up with goodies? I have never been there.

Jeez, I also need a vice, an inspection light... etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Army surplus? My local one has boxes and boxes of s/h tools, not many are metric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

JustinOval wrote: »
    Army surplus? My local one has boxes and boxes of s/h tools, not many are metric.
    Yep..theres one down near midelton,well there used to be,lots of odd tools in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you cant have pre used tools...they are either used or not...presumably if they are pre used , they are new....

signed Pedantic Pat....

(ps check out the autojumbles...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Yep..theres one down near midelton,well there used to be,lots of odd tools in there.

That's the one, they moved to Market Green, behind the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Car boot sales can also be usefull.Never seen any tools in rmy surplus stores in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to buy from a certain indigenous "ethnic minority" who hawk used tools at local markets. They're all stolen and by buying these tools from these toerags you're only encouraging them to break into the garages of honest folk, clear them out and flog the booty in the markets and carboot sales around the country every weekend. My dad's (the local mechanic back home) garage was turned over by them a few years back and they effectively stole his livelihood until he could gather a new set of tools.

Your own garage could be next. The only way to stop them is to remove the black market for second-hand tools. Relying on the law to locate and prosecute them is a complete waste of time.

I agree with the above, scout the autojumbles, post wanted ads on forums or just shell out on the new tool. If you buy the best you can afford and mind it you'll have it for life...

Eric318, you wouldn't happen to own a nice white manta too would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Years ago, my uncle bought a joblot of scrap.

When he got it, he found a toolbox full of the best plumber's tools that he'd ever seen!

He left them stashed in a corner of one of his sheds. Never used them.

Told me that he suspected that they were stolen.
    Could never bring himself to take them out of the box, let alone use them.

Said that it could bring bad luck.
    Sounds a bit mad,but I would have to agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to buy from a certain indigenous "ethnic minority" who hawk used tools at local markets. They're all stolen and by buying these tools from these toerags you're only encouraging them to break into the garages of honest folk, clear them out and flog the booty in the markets and carboot sales around the country every weekend. My dad's (the local mechanic back home) garage was turned over by them a few years back and they effectively stole his livelihood until he could gather a new set of tools.

Your own garage could be next. The only way to stop them is to remove the black market for second-hand tools. Relying on the law to locate and prosecute them is a complete waste of time.

I agree with the above, scout the autojumbles, post wanted ads on forums or just shell out on the new tool. If you buy the best you can afford and mind it you'll have it for life...

Eric318, you wouldn't happen to own a nice white manta too would you?

I object to this post...these scumbags are NOT an "ethnic mionority"...:cool:

I agree with the rest of the post, well put

• Advertisement
Advertisement