Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Online Electronic Radio Channel

• 28-03-2009 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭

Would anyone be interested in setting up a channel hosted online such as:
    http://www.ustream.tv
    http://www.mogulus.com
    or suggest any other?

Im just wondering would their be any interest as we could set up a channel for free and have DJ's playing at certain times.

Just an idea for now!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Good idea. Myself and a mate were thinking of setting up an internet radio station type of thing, cause its not to difficult to set up so dj's pre-record a few hours and then its automatically queued and played. It never went any further than an idea though, way to many other internet radio stations out there..

A boards one would be intersting if we got the numbers... Can it be set up for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Yeah it can be set up for free using both sites but there are limitations such as ads and quality!

I never thought of the pre-recorded sets I was more thinking playing live for an hour or two on a pre defined schedule set list. I know ustream also provide a embeded chat room for interaction with the DJ and listeners.

Id give a couple of hours a week to it anyway and it couldn be that hard to set up.

Ok im not seeing much interest but as im bored I set up a channel anyway and tested it and its working perfect!

http://www.ustream.tv/BoardsRadio

Im going to mess about with it but if anyone is interested in getting involved reply to this thread and we will get something going!

Cheers

edit:linkage

Setlist Template if there was enough interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Would be a pretty good idea if it got off the ground, hopefully it does.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

How do you set it up to broadcast? I use Torq I think it can do that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Would this be limited to playing Dance music or would you be looking to get a wider range of stuff? Would be pretty boring if you just had a load of people playing Techno and Electro House all the time. Maybe someone from the Hip Hop forum could do a an hour of Hip Hop and someone could do an hour of Alternative stuff. I would be interested in helping out with this if I can find the time.

What about trying to get people involved from other areas of the site. Politics, Sports etc. Some of the posters really know there stuff im sure you could put together a wide range of programs. I just think a Dance only station would get lost in with all the rubbish Internet dance stations where as something a bit broader that took advantage of the wide range of topics / posters on boards would be great.

The success of it would really depend on being able to come up with a running order for shows and getting people to stick to it. It might be easiest to just run for a few hours in the evenings first to see how it pans out.

Defintely. Make it a boards radio station for anyone and anything. A pure dance station would get very few listeners...

Throw a post on after hours and see what happens

Cheers for the replys,

I was thinking electronic music but i agree if we could get people playing R&B too that would be cool! I played a set yesterday for an hour or so and was using Torq. I had 2 Listeners and had a laugh using the embeded chat.

To broadcast:
    1. log In (PM me for Login Details)
    2. Click Broadcast now!
    3. Connect a web-cam if you want via usb
    4. Connect an rca cable from master/booth out from your mixer to the mic/line In on your PC/Lappy.

Posted on After Hours Forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Good idea, and Mike is right it should be varied although mostly dance music;)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

We were Looking into this some time back, we contacted these guys http://www.phatbeats.co.uk/dance_studio/ They have a great setup !!

They put us in touch with this crowd ;)
    http://www.sowebdesigns.co.uk/internet-radio-website-design.php

We just didnt have the time to dedicate to running it properly and there were other costs to considder, give the guys at Phatbeats a call they were very helpfull..

Best of luck with it !!

:pac:

• Advertisement

So didnt get the best response on After Hours. A good point was raised though. What are the legalaty issues with playing copywrited material?

Im not sure to be honest I never thought of that, there are many radio programs such as faderwave that i listen too ill give them an e-mail and ask them.

I think the copyright people have enough on there hands tackling youtube uploaders.

I want to make myself clear this wont take much running, it is already set up so all it needs is people who want to play for an hour or so give notice here the day before then log in and broadcast!

Im not sure to be honest I never thought of that, there are many radio programs such as faderwave that i listen too ill give them an e-mail and ask them.

I think the copyright people have enough on there hands tackling youtube uploaders.

I want to make myself clear this wont take much running, it is already set up so all it needs is people who want to play for an hour or so give notice here the day before then log in and broadcast!

Cool. Well im sure if someone was playing Dance Music they wouldnt run into any problems with copywrite just if there was someone who fancied doing a more charty or rocky set they might need to think about it.

The ball is starting to roll on this,

I am going to be the guinea pig and put myself down for a couple of hour slots! I will post an attachment of the excel spreadsheet which will show the times and days.

The shows can be recorded so if somebody wants to go online and listen back to the mix they can at any time! You can sign up to u-stream if you want to use your name on the chat.

Just realised the football is on tomorrow so I will do a set from 10-11pm :pac:

I will not be held responsible for what happens while another person is using the channel just to clear that up.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Cool. Well im sure if someone was playing Dance Music they wouldnt run into any problems with copywrite just if there was someone who fancied doing a more charty or rocky set they might need to think about it.

There are literally thousands of internet stations out there running from people's bedrooms and with more and more sites broadcasting tracks. I've been broadcasting to a german dance site recently and I doubt that the germans are going to bother sending someone over to my house to track me down and bill me for the hour of music I play a month

350304915a10482510271l.jpg

I feel Lonely haha!! The match is on tomorrow so ill jump on after that even though ive an exam on thursday morning, Im hardcore me :D

I will more than likely do Thursday night aswel but ill wait and see what time suits!

I'll do an hour somewhere - would like to play some Minimal & Techno.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'll do an hour somewhere too, most likely a fresh & uplifting set of scouse house.

Make sure there are lots of DONK's in there Felix...

Ive sent a PM to anyone who has enquired about a slot.

So Far we have myself, Zascar, Felixdhc and franklyshocked. If we all do at least an hour a week that would be a great start. Just tell me when you would like to do your set and I will add you to the schedule!

Please check your settings before your time slot. For this I hooked everything up to my PC then listened to the channel with my laptop and adjusted accordingly. I had to have my level on my Master out at 1 (1-10) any higher and it distorted. then jus select your soundcard and fire away!

It would be great if you recorded your show as people can listen beack even if the channel is not broadcasting!

• Advertisement

Should we pick a night and do it all one after another? Or pick a time and do one each night?

My broadband at home is down right now - fcuking NTL :mad: - hope it will be back up by the weekend.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Zascar wrote: »
    Make sure there are lots of DONK's in there Felix...

The whole set is actually various mixes of Put A Donk In It, set list as follows -

Put A Donk In It (The Liverpool's Fools Mix)
    Put A Donk In It (Radio Edit)
    Put A Donk In It (Lady Gagas Up Your Hole 12" Mix)
    Put A Donk In It (Rub-A-Dub-Dub Mix)
    Put A Donk In It (The Scouser Trouser Rouser Mix)
    Put A Donk In It (Trance Mix)
    Put A Donk In It (Ambient Mix)

What do yiz reckon?

Should we pick a night and do it all one after another? Or pick a time and do one each night?

Yeah we could do that alright, whatever suits. Im going to play a set tonight from 10-11 but after that ive studying to be done :mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I commented in that AH thread about copyright.

I really don't like to rain on your parade. As I'd love to see a boards radio station. But boards.ie is a very big fish and you're running the online station under it's name. Copyright will be a serious issue.

It's one you'd have to run by the admins of the site first.

You can mix using any Music Source(Vinyl,CD,Software)

Setup for Desktop PC Running XP
    (should be simular for laptop/mac users!)
    These are the instructions on how to setup your system to be able to broadcast.
    What you need:

• Webcam (not needed!!)
    • RCA to 3.5mm Jack

Plug the RCA cable from your Booth/Master of your mixer into the line in on your pc.

Keep your Master/Booth levels very low

I commented in that AH thread about copyright.

I really don't like to rain on your parade. As I'd love to see a boards radio station. But boards.ie is a very big fish and you're running the online station under it's name. Copyright will be a serious issue.

It's one you'd have to run by the admins of the site first.

Thanks maybe I will set up a new channel and I wont use boards name! I did ask at the help desk about permission to use their logo but I got no reply!

Any Suggestions for a new name???

edit: I have taken down the boards image and re-named the show! If the name of the station causes any problems I can change that also.

My broadband at home is down right now - fcuking NTL :mad: - hope it will be back up by the weekend.

They seem to drop signal during the day out here but apart from that their broadband service is way better than their TV service. I've got a 10mb line out here in the sticks. Nice!

Going to do a set now,

Channel URL http://www.ustream.tv/BoardsRadio
    Show URL http://www.ustream.tv/channel/radio-electronics

Cheers
    Sean

Hey we had 4 Listeners at one stage but its a start. Had a good chat with franklyshocked and Zascar.

I recorded the set here
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1329465

I had a webcam pluged in at the start then took it out because the quality was rubbish.! The picture the froze, I reckon if you dont plug in a webcam the shows picture would be in its place which would look better!

Anyway cheers to those who took part and I look forward to the next set which is hopefully Friday night!

• Advertisement

Updated Link

Also new setlist:
    350304915a10495739466l.jpg

Well done Sean, I was listening for a while but my flatmate was entralled in the match commentary so I could not have it too loud, I liked your tunes though so I might have a listen to the recording.

I'll try to do a set on Friday night cause I'm planning to stay in anyway and mix a few tunes. It's good that we can record it though case obviously not everyone can listen in when its on etc.

Alds does anyone else want to have a go at this? Any and All msuic styles welcome!!!

I don't have a webcam but i was thinking of getting one - if it worked properly it would be cool to be able to watch people mix.

Actually I was thinking of seeing if anyone was interested in doing a "10MinMix" competiton like DJ mag do though youtube... That could also be fun!

Yeah very true a good webcam would make it much better! Any Particular time on Friday and what type of music would you be playing??

Well done Sean, I was listening for a while but my flatmate was entralled in the match commentary so I could not have it too loud, I liked your tunes though so I might have a listen to the recording.

I'll try to do a set on Friday night cause I'm planning to stay in anyway and mix a few tunes. It's good that we can record it though case obviously not everyone can listen in when its on etc.

Alds does anyone else want to have a go at this? Any and All msuic styles welcome!!!

I don't have a webcam but i was thinking of getting one - if it worked properly it would be cool to be able to watch people mix.

Actually I was thinking of seeing if anyone was interested in doing a "10MinMix" competiton like DJ mag do though youtube... That could also be fun!

The webcam feeb will probably eat into your upload bandwidth effecting your soundquality so it'd depend on your connection.
    I'll do a set on Monday night. - A mini project for me.
    The plan is to mix All the tracks from Armand Van Heldens last album Ghetto blaster - so yes, it'll be a house/electro set

Any Particular time on Friday and what type of music would you be playing??
    About 8 or so maybe... I'll probably mix it up a little and play some random stuff, start off housey, get techy and end with some techno perhaps... see where the mood takes me.. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

This is a great idea. Id love to do an hour sometime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

+1

Great idea VinylJunkie

Would also be interested in taking a slot, have PM'd you

HectorJelly I tried sending you a PM but it said you need to delete some messages!

HectorJelly I tried sending you a PM but it said you need to delete some messages!

apologies, free now

Ok so im going to do another set tonight. Hopefully we can add another few slots to this timetable. If somebody did'nt get a PM please tell me and ill send you the login details and more information.

If somebody wants to do a set just send me your DJ name, Genre and also time and day you wish to do your set.

350304915a10502570499l.jpg

Please Record your sets!!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=prZsB42OeEksNajAnM8YReQ

Now online for all to see however I will be constantly updating this so keep an eye on it!!

Notice HectorJelly will be playing an afternoon show 2-3pm on Fridays so it would be great if people could listen in.

I will be on at 9pm this evening!!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/radio-electronics

• Advertisement

Notice HectorJelly will be playing an afternoon show 2-3pm on Fridays so it would be great if people could listen in.
    Spreadsheet says this show is a Saturday - is it Friday yea?

joker77 wrote: »
    Spreadsheet says this show is a Saturday - is it Friday yea?

Sorry yeah it will be friday my mistake Fixed!

!!!!Live Now!!!!!!

Recorded set from tonight! Thanks to joker77 for listening in and keeping me company :D

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1333629

No worries - enjoyed it!

Now where's that setlist? :D

Is there any easy place to put a setlist of the choons that were played on the show?

When you record the set you can tag it with a description I presume you can put it in there!

Dont forget HectorJelly 2-3 today

Im just about so start (2pm), ill be playing electro, electro house, ambient and European hip hop, keeping in mind the time of day. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

This is epic tuneage

Great set there from HectorJelly can be found Here!!

Cabla will now be doing a set on Wednesday nights just before mine!

The Schedule can be viewed and edited here:
    Radio Set List

As always channel here:

BTW: HectorJelly holds the new record at 16 listeners previously held by me at a mere 4:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

only seen this now, deffo would be interested in throwing something together, ill have a look at all the links and that when i get home

I'm going to spin a few tunes now if anyone's around have a listen

• Advertisement
Advertisement