Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Broadband - cancellation?

• 28-03-2009 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭

Completely didn't think I'd have to give any notice so to cancel my broadband with 3 [I got a different one with O2] I just cancelled my direct debit. They rang earlier and fair enough I've to pay the last month. Was asked for ALL my CC details over phone, asked if I could do it by email, she said phonen was secure. Was a bit iffy but anyway. Told her I wanted cancel it. She put me through to another guy. He said as I've been with them well over a year I'd have been entitled to an upgrade modem or something. No point now as I've set up the contract with O2. Also, told me as I spent like €100 buying the modem in the first place, if he cancels it it will be useless. He encouraged me to find someone else to take the modem and change the account details. Anyone interested, or what do you suggest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭cantona1111

Had 6 months of fighting with these guys, an absolute nightmare, the very samething, they rang 13 times in one day, my advice is pay what ever they ask to cancel and run away, they are the biggest shower of chancers i have ever dealt with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 CrazyStraighty

I found it quiet easy to cancel it but the phone call took ages and I may have shouted at them on a number of occassions that I was not answering their questions about why I was leaving, I just to cancel.

Got put onto a manager, told him I wanted to cancelled and would not answer their questions and it was all done perfectly!

They seem to want to keep you on the line as long as possible so you get sick of it/credit runs out etc and you don't end up cancelling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

They are ass****s. Cancelled my account (in writing) and they continued to debit me. Had to threaten legal action by registered post to escape their clutches. Never again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Rang Three to get a credit balance from my wife who left three transfered to my account. Had plenty of minutes left in my package.

Even though I rang an 083 number it did not come out of my bundle, they charged me 1.70 for the call.

Some neck but no point in ringing to complain as it will cost me again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Sounds like you had a run-in with retentions and they beat you.

I would run for the hills. Also, you need to give 30 days notice, so once you manage to cancel you're still stuck with them for another 30 days. In fairness, they deducted the correct amount for the partial month and once my contract expired they never charged me again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

dingding wrote: »
    Rang Three to get a credit balance from my wife who left three transfered to my account. Had plenty of minutes left in my package.

Even though I rang an 083 number it did not come out of my bundle, they charged me 1.70 for the call.

Some neck but no point in ringing to complain as it will cost me again.

The free phone number for customer care is 1913 not 0833333333. The only way you might think this number would be free is if you were on bill, but your bill has the new 1913 in large bold print explaining its the new free phone customer care number splashed across the first page so cant see how they did anything wrong there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jpfahy wrote: »
    They are ass****s. Cancelled my account (in writing) and they continued to debit me. Had to threaten legal action by registered post to escape their clutches. Never again.

As a matter of interest were you using direct debit or cc to pay them? I am doing some research into abuse of the direct debit system thats why I ask. By the way if anyone has had anyone reading this has any experience of cancelled direct debits being reinstated I would be glad if you would private me with details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Special K wrote: »
    Completely didn't think I'd have to give any notice so to cancel my broadband with 3 [I got a different one with O2] I just cancelled my direct debit. They rang earlier and fair enough I've to pay the last month. Was asked for ALL my CC details over phone, asked if I could do it by email, she said phonen was secure. Was a bit iffy but anyway. Told her I wanted cancel it. She put me through to another guy. He said as I've been with them well over a year I'd have been entitled to an upgrade modem or something. No point now as I've set up the contract with O2. Also, told me as I spent like €100 buying the modem in the first place, if he cancels it it will be useless. He encouraged me to find someone else to take the modem and change the account details. Anyone interested, or what do you suggest?

When myself and my BF broke up last week he tried to change the account into my name and they told him that they don't do change of ownerships....

When myself and my BF broke up last week he tried to change the account into my name and they told him that they don't do change of ownerships....

This is correct. You can change the bank details for paying the direct debit and the address but the name on the account will not be changed (unless you have got married/divorced, where you need to supply documentation)

Walkman wrote: »
    This is correct. You can change the bank details for paying the direct debit and the address but the name on the account will not be changed (unless you have got married/divorced, where you need to supply documentation)

It's totally crap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

OP I might take that modem off you, if its the new usb type

pm me..

It's totally crap!

Why? If you want the broadband just sign up and your ex just cancel theirs or the otherway round.

Why? If you want the broadband just sign up and your ex just cancel theirs or the otherway round.

he is still in contract so he'd have to pay the canx fee so it was easier to just change it into my name except that they don't do that! Now I'm gonna have bills coming to my house with his name on them (not what you want to be seeing every month really :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

Unfortunately it's the old yukky one with a lead. I've emailed em there to tell them I want to cancel it ASAP. Boo, I'll prob end up paying another month and I not even using it :( The lady seemed persistent I set up my Direct Debit again but I said no, I wanted to cancel my contract so I'd pay by CC. Wasn't comfortable callling details out over net, my 3 digit security code and all. Are they entitled to ask ALL of that information??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

do not give them your credit card details over the phone as it is not secure! ring them and insist on cancelling and ignore all their crap! if they fail to cancel your contract at this stage just ignore them as you have been reasonable in your attempt to cancel and they have refused your request.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Special K wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's the old yukky one with a lead. I've emailed em there to tell them I want to cancel it ASAP. Boo, I'll prob end up paying another month and I not even using it :( The lady seemed persistent I set up my Direct Debit again but I said no, I wanted to cancel my contract so I'd pay by CC. Wasn't comfortable callling details out over net, my 3 digit security code and all. Are they entitled to ask ALL of that information??

Have you cancelled your direct debit in writing with your bank? Remember the only way according to the dd scheme rules is to cancel a dd with your bank. they also state it is desirable to inform the company concerned.

So be safe and cancel it in writing and keep a copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

The free phone number for customer care is 1913 not 0833333333. The only way you might think this number would be free is if you were on bill, but your bill has the new 1913 in large bold print explaining its the new free phone customer care number splashed across the first page so cant see how they did anything wrong there.

I rang a mobile number which was programmed onto the sim as the number for accounts. I had over 30 minutes minutes including mobile calls left on my account.

I think it is a bit sly using a mobile number and not including this in my inclusive minutes.

Will be gone from them in a month when my contract is up.

Advertisement