Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melodic Death Metal

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ah good auld in flames :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You know, I was always more of a fan of Dark Tranquillity than In Flames. Not that I don't like In Flames, they're certainly terrific, but they never made an album that was as absolutely terrific as The Gallery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I'm a big fan of In Flames, for me a very reliable band. What can I say about At The Gates that hasn't already been said. Just getting into Amon Amarth but I most certainly like what I'm hearing.

Actually Melodic Death is probably on of my favourite genres of metal, have some love :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

how about arch enemy?would they fall under this catagory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Seraphicblue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

You know, I was always more of a fan of Dark Tranquillity than In Flames. Not that I don't like In Flames, they're certainly terrific, but they never made an album that was as absolutely terrific as The Gallery.

The Gallery is fairly unbelievable, 'Punish My Heaven' really is second to none, but after the first few songs I find the album to fall from excellent into just being a good album, I would prefare 'The Jester Race' or 'Whoracle' by In Flames over it, which stay consistantly excellent (Jotun is also an exceptional intro).

I always liked Dark Tranquilities experimentation with their albums, I find they adapted their style far better than In Flames, I wouldn't say any Dark Tranquility album is BAD (apart from Fiction, which is poo), every album had at least one excellent song on it, and a handfull of really solid material.

Also At the Gates, 'Terminal Spirit Disease' and 'Slaughter of the Soul' should be purchased by every melodic death metal fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

In Flames used to be so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

ADTR wrote: »
    In Flames used to be so good.

And they still are:confused: I only dislike two albums from them Soundtrack to Your Escape and the Jester Race (Boo hiss how can i hate it do you say? Andres voice is beyond sh1te in it and it makes it unbearable to listen to). ASOP is actually a really good album but is let down by ****ty production where the whole album just sounds very bland, muddled and bassy unlike the golden crunch of CC.

• Advertisement

I have to say that I love Soundtrack to Your Escape. It was the first In Flames album I ever bought and I suppose it must be why I never bought into the whole "In Flames' early stuff is better" way of thinking because it was the only In Flames album I had for a while. I bought the rest of their back catalogue a few months later and due to listening to the albums as a group, I probably don't appreciate the older albums as much.

Anyway here's a few more videos:

Yes! Sweet, sweet victory! :D

Been itching for the band Shadow's self titled album for ages now, but haven't been able to source it. Yeah, trying to search for a CD where you can't narrow it down further than "Shadow" seemed to be impossible over ebay, play.com or amazon, but I actually bothered to check the record label's website, and low and behold, here it is! The most fantastic thing, it's only €3 shipped. :eek:

This band is terrific:

And not bad for less than a pint, eh?

Yes! Sweet, sweet victory! :D

Been itching for the band Shadow's self titled album for ages now, but haven't been able to source it. Yeah, trying to search for a CD where you can't narrow it down further than "Shadow" seemed to be impossible over ebay, play.com or amazon, but I actually bothered to check the record label's website, and low and behold, here it is! The most fantastic thing, it's only €3 shipped. :eek:
    Nice find! That shows the power of the Internet doesn't it? An Irish guy buying a Japanese band's album through a Finnish website :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

First Dark Tranquility album I heard was Haven. Still love it.. many thanks to the O.P. who lent me it all those years ago :)

malice_ wrote: »
    Nice find! That shows the power of the Internet doesn't it? An Irish guy buying a Japanese band's album through a Finnish website :).

Aye. And I'm still astounded at the price of €3 shipped, I'll let you know if it gets here in one piece, and then advice you to snap it up.
    First Dark Tranquility album I heard was Haven. Still love it.. many thanks to the O.P. who lent me it all those years ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

a few more worth mentioning are:

Autumn Leaves, Arsis, Eucharist, Gates of Ishtar, God Dethroned, Insomnium, Sacrilege, and Dimension Zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

One of my favourite songs ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

I discovered Dark Tranquility very recently, by complete accident on youtube one day.

Can't say I was disappointed.:D

Just mixes so well, what I love to see in metal: Hard, deep growling/screaming and then soft, mellow melodic tones all balanced with some nice fast, heavy, low-tuned riffs:D

I'll let you know if it gets here in one piece, and then advice you to snap it up.

Just an update, it arrived today. Really, really good album. I suggest you nab it quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I remember seeing this on MTV2 years ago and it got me into this genre of music, in flames ofc.

Got me into some great bands like Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquility etc

Great stuff.

• Advertisement

Just an update, it arrived today. Really, really good album. I suggest you nab it quick.

I actually appropriated it off the back of a lorry at some stage last year :o. I definitely prefer it to their second album. There seems to be a bit more melody present to balance the pounding metal.

I see that I forgot to post Divine Heresy in this thread. Time to rectify that:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shalaska

celtic legacy? opeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

The Gallery by Dark Tranquility is the best album of this genre i've ever heard.

Arsis is another one worthy of mention!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

shalaska wrote: »
    celtic legacy? opeth?
    Melodic death metal?

Arsis is a band I haven't listened to in a while, I have 'A Daimond For Disease' and 'As Regret Becomes guilt', some great stuff.

Advertisement