Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom wireless capibilty pretty much gone...

Options
  • 28-03-2009 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Not sure if this has been posted b4, so sorry if I'm repeating myself...

We changed from BT broadband to Eircom in September. Wireless & internet box all in one. Everything worked fine until xmas (Stephens Day to be exact)..Since then we haven't been able to get wireless coverage in any of the rooms, bar the 2 right beside the router...
    We live in a Bungalow, so all other rooms/bedrooms are in with 20/30 feet of the router & still none of the 3 laptops we have in the house can get a signal!

So my question is has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have any idea what could be going on...Any help would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I had a similar problem when i switched from digiweb to eircom.

My problem was a video sender i had interferes with the wireless signal of the netopia router.

Switched it off and all good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

anrait wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted b4, so sorry if I'm repeating myself...

We changed from BT broadband to Eircom in September. Wireless & internet box all in one. Everything worked fine until xmas (Stephens Day to be exact)..Since then we haven't been able to get wireless coverage in any of the rooms, bar the 2 right beside the router...
    We live in a Bungalow, so all other rooms/bedrooms are in with 20/30 feet of the router & still none of the 3 laptops we have in the house can get a signal!

So my question is has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have any idea what could be going on...Any help would be very much appreciated!

Firstly your wireless capability has nothing to do with Eircom or whichever isp it may be (unless of course the equipment they have supplied is faulty).

If your wireless worked fine for several months then something must have changed to affect its performance. The fact that it changed at christmas might suggest the arrival of some other wireless gadget to the house?

If not then what about neighbours? You say you are living in a bungalow but are there others nearby who might have a wireless network on the same channel? Download netstumbler and it will show you if there are others nearby. Also try changing the wireless channel you are using.

And as enfant terrible points out those wireless senders are deadly:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mobing to wireless as stated by dub45 this is nothing to do with ADSL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I've had to change my wireless signal twice now after more and more people living around me have gotten their own wifi and are clogging up the available spectrum.

anything from video senders to dect phones, bluetooth devies and even microwaves all put out a 2.4ghz signal (yes, microwave ovens!) which can interfere with your wifi signal, whether they be your own or a neighbours devices.

as cabaal says,the best thing you can do is download netstumbler (google it) and find a quiet wifi channel to change your modem to and you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 anrait

Thanks for the replies. I've tried all your ideas. But still got nothing really...One laptop gets the signal in the room furthest away from the router. I just don't get why the others don't.
    Downloaded netstumbler & it didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I know there are two BT wireless signals near by but it didn't seem to pick them up.
    We have a videosender but I turned it off & doesn't seem to have much of a difference. I'm stumped!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Hi, Use netstumbler and post the results in an image, we might be able help from there.
    Otherwise default your router and start again

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Will the other two laptops also get it in that room?

The fact that one of the laptops is working fine with the router would suggest that your router is not to blame and that something else is interfering with the wireless in the other rooms.

Advertisement