Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Northern Ireland fans hardly cover themselves in glory today

• 28-03-2009 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

1. Attacking Polish Fans

2. Attacking the PSNI

3. Booing the Polish National Anthem

4. Skullin the linesman

5. Singing the "Famine Song"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The Polish supporters are known to have a hardcore element themselves so dont be to quick to apportion blame on the lads from the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

[mod note]I expect this thread may get a little heated, I'll remind all posters in advance of the forum charter which is stickied. Please adhere to that in replying

Some Northern ireland fans have failed to covered themselves with glory.

Do not tar everyone with the one brush.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7969871.stm
    Before the game, riot police had to separate NI and Polish fans.

Fireworks, bricks and bottles were thrown between the two sets of fans outside the football ground.

The trouble started in the city centre shortly before 1500 on Saturday when Northern Irish and Polish fans gathered in the same pub on Bedford Street.

The pub was closed, considerable damage having been caused. Nine people were arrested following the trouble.

Police said the majority of them were Polish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Never understood the desire of my some of my fellow ROI fans to abuse the NI fans so readily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

6. sticking it to them for dey tuk our jobs!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Some Northern ireland fans have covered themselves with glory.

Do not tar everyone with the one brush.

Nice. Although it kinda makes a mockery of your own mod note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

noodler wrote: »
    Never understood the desire of my some of my fellow ROI fans to abuse the NI fans so readily.
    can never understand the desire of some people to turn a blind eye to hooliganism myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

REPRESENTATIVES from the Polish community in Belfast have appealed for calm before their country's World Cup qualifier against Northern Ireland at Windsor Park after a death threat to the Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc.
    "Boruc RIP" has been daubed on a wall in Sandy Row, a staunchly Loyalist area of the city.

When "Neil Lennon RIP" was painted on a wall seven years ago, the Celtic midfielder – now first-team coach at Parkhead – announced that he would no longer represent his country.

This incident will increase fears among the security forces that Boruc will be targeted today at a time when extremists are attempting to disrupt the peace process.

Boruc has enraged Rangers fans at Old Firm matches by crossing himself, making obscene gestures to them – for which he was fined by the Scottish Football Association – and wearing a T-shirt bearing a photograph of the Pope.

"There is nothing the Polish residents in Northern Ireland want more than to integrate with the indigenous community, and the match is an ideal opportunity to enjoy an important occasion together," said Maciek Bator, a director of the Polish Association in Belfast.

Lets be honest here.
    Both sets of fans have bad reputations.
    Both are plagued by small minorities.
    But it's fair to say that the IFA hasn't been covered in glory, as this kind of thing has been going on for ages, and they have done nothing to stop it.

And the fact that they sing the famine song no matter who they're playing is the main reason a lot of Republic fans are so easy to turn against them Noodler.

bohsman wrote: »
    Nice. Although it kinda makes a mockery of your own mod note.

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Who exactly were they singingn the famine song at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Anto McC wrote: »

I know - the irony was not lost on me!

• Advertisement

?

"Some Northern ireland fans have covered themselves with glory.

Do not tar everyone with the one brush."

Indicates that some fans actually behaved themselves,the vast majority didnt. Obviously I should have put a smiley in there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anto McC wrote: »

Who knows? Poland is considered a catholic country, Boric plays for Celtic . . . visa-vi, we'll sing the famine song, that will get the teague's riled up?

Northern Ireland fans are, in my experience, by and large, scum.

I suggest everyone reads the note I added to my first post on this thread. It is post #3 in case you missed it. Use of the word scum will get you an infraction (at a minimum) guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

"Some Northern ireland fans have covered themselves with glory.

Do not tar everyone with the one brush."

Indicates that some fans actually behaved themselves,the vast majority didnt. Obviously I should have put a smiley in there somewhere.

No, it indicates that you completely misunderstood the meaning of the phrase covered yourself in glory in this case.

The saying is "havent exactly covered themselves in glory"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

The username of the threadmaker says it all about their own motives in making this thread. Absolutely pathetic.

Northern Ireland hooligans fighting with Polish Hooligans - Let them at it imo.

The Boruc thing is sad but every Celtic player gets unreal abuse up there.

The bitterness of some "fans" comes to the fore during games at Windsor Park. Odds are the chanting will go unpunished too.

The saying is "havent exactly covered themselves in glory"

Point taken, I'm involved in about 3 other tasks right now and it should have been phrased better. You probably should have gone for the smiley...:o

DSB wrote: »
    The username of the threadmaker says it all about their own motives in making this thread. Absolutely pathetic.

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!

So the events of today didnt happen! good one!

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!

So the events of today didnt happen! good one!

The events of today happen all too regularly around the world. Its just funny how you're so choosy in the ones you decide to point out.

• Advertisement

Not that often and in fairness they are our closest neighbours. When it happens in England we talk about it and I see no problem discussing it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Myabe we should forget about the fact that both sets of fans have been reported as rioting today?

Yes, lets do that...instead we should comment on N.I's third goal....;)

Not that often and in fairness they are our closest neighbours. When it happens in England we talk about it and I see no problem discussing it here.

Football hooliganism happens in England on a weekly basis.

The events of today happen all too regularly around the world. Its just funny how you're so choosy in the ones you decide to point out.

Actually this doesnt happen "all too regularly" - infact I cant remember the last time there was this level of distruption at an international match anywhere on the island of Ireland.

But if you want to be an apologist for bigotry, sectarianism, racism and hooliganism then dont dont let me stand in the way! :rolleyes:

Actually this doesnt happen "all too regularly" - infact I cant remember the last time there was this level of distruption at an international match anywhere on the island of Ireland.

But if you want to be an apologist for bigotry, sectarianism, racism and hooliganism then dont dont let me stand in the way! :rolleyes:

Typical Celtic fan, get off the cross, no1 gives a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

w tread

What does "Skullin' the linesman" mean? Did someone attack him?

Eirebear wrote: »
    Myabe we should forget about the fact that both sets of fans have been reported as rioting today?

Yes, lets do that...instead we should comment on N.I's third goal....;)

both sets? how convieniant!

well I didnt hear reports of Polish fans singing sectarian songs, I didnt see Polish fans throwing a "missile" at match officials and the BBC report which was posted clearly lays the blame for the rioting at the feet of the "Our Wee Country" fans!

he was hit on the head with a coin that was throwen from the NI fans section after the first Polish goal was ajudged on side!

• Advertisement

Something was thrown at him, like in Premiership grounds regularly, but those ones aren't important, because those ones don't support the motives of certain Celtic fans who are the actual racists, and when Irish fans boo the national anthem on Saturday of that South American boxer, it just doesn't fit the same criteria of the Irish Celtic fans' pathetic agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Hence why I can't support any international team.

Typical Celtic fan, get off the cross, no1 gives a ****.

Talk about an a typical argumentum ad hominem - they dont usually carry much weight mate!

"The pub was closed, considerable damage having been caused. Nine people were arrested following the trouble.

Police said the majority of them were Polish. "

Not sure how you figure the report blames the Northern Irish.

A coin was thrown from the crowd.
    the BBC report which was posted clearly lays the blame for the rioting at the feet of the "Our Wee Country" fans!

:confused:
    Before the game, riot police had to separate NI and Polish fans.

Fireworks, bricks and bottles were thrown between the two sets of fans outside the football ground.
    The trouble started in the city centre shortly before 1500 on Saturday when Northern Irish and Polish fans gathered in the same pub on Bedford Street.

The pub was closed, considerable damage having been caused. Nine people were arrested following the trouble.

Police said the majority of them were Polish.

Gents, this thread will remain open, those who attempt to derail it will be banned from soccer and those who abuse other members with racist comments I will be looking to have removed from the site. Please bear this in mind when posting.

• Advertisement

Gents, this thread will reamain open, those who attempt to derail it will be banned from soccer and those who abuse other members with racist comments I will be looking to have removed from the site. Please bear this in mind when posting.

Fair enough, but lets be fair, the thread is blatant racism in the first place.

Something was thrown at him, like in Premiership grounds regularly, but those ones aren't important, because those ones don't support the motives of certain Celtic fans who are the actual racists, and when Irish fans boo the national anthem on Saturday of that South American boxer, it just doesn't fit the same criteria of the Irish Celtic fans' pathetic agenda.

What has any of this got to do with the behaviour of NI fans today?

You seem like you are an apologist for disgusting behaviour.

I dont appriciate you abusing all Celtic fans as racists - in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

Also I was at the Bernard Dunne fight and I didnt hear Cordobas anthem being boo'd!

Now can you please discuss the topic at hand!

A coin was thrown from the crowd.

:confused:

If you watch the video that you posted the reporter clearly states that the NI fans were not only attacking the Polish fans but were also attacking Police.

How so? The thread title is correct, northern Irish fans have hardly covered themselves in glory, this is true, regardless of who started what. Please feel free to start a thread saying the same of the polish fans if you choose.

Fair enough, but lets be fair, the thread is blatant racism in the first place.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What has any of this got to do with the behaviour of NI fans today?

You seem like you are an apologist for disgusting behaviour.

I dont appriciate you abusing all Celtic fans as racists - in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

Also I was at the Bernard Dunne fight and I didnt hear Cordobas anthem being boo'd!

Now can you please discuss the topic at hand!

I referred to certain Celtic fans as racist. And I'm not apologising for disgusting behaviour, I just amn't willing to condemn certain people for it only, while ignoring everything else because it doesn't fit into a certain agenda.

I dont appreciate you abusing all Celtic fans as racists - in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

Celtic and Rangers are nothing more than vehicles for sectarian hatred in both Ireland and Scotland. Not 'all' fans but a substantial amount.

both sets? how convieniant!

well I didnt hear reports of Polish fans singing sectarian songs, I didnt see Polish fans throwing a "missile" at match officials and the BBC report which was posted clearly lays the blame for the rioting at the feet of the "Our Wee Country" fans!

Please tell me how in gods name this is "conveniant?"

I'm scots born and grew up in the republic...i have no N.I connections whatsoever.
    I dont give a toss about international football in general, and i am only going by the various reports that have been updated around the various internet sites all day.

Once again this is a simple case of Celtic fans taking great interest in a case which for the most part has nothing at all to do with them, your not Northern Irish are you?
    Your not Polish?

Have you posted on here about your disgust involving trouble at ANY other match since...hmmm lets see....Manchester?

I wonder, maybe the "conveniance" here is that Celtic fans will take this as an opportunity to turn it into another version of their "Big Bad Huns" story?

How so? The thread title is correct, northern Irish fans have hardly covered themselves in glory, this is true, regardless of who started what. Please feel free to start a thread saying the same of the polish fans if you choose.

I've no interest in making 1 for the Polish fans, but lets face it, if the thread was being in any way unbiased and not based on previous racist bigotry, the thread would say Northern Ireland/Poland fans hardly cover themselves in glory today.

I've no interest in making 1 for the Polish fans, but lets face it, if the thread was being in any way unbiased and not based on previous racist bigotry, the thread would say Northern Ireland/Poland fans hardly cover themselves in glory today.

How about this thread: Republic of Ireland team hardly cover themselves in glory today. :D

I referred to certain Celtic fans as racist. And I'm not apologising for disgusting behaviour, I just amn't willing to condemn certain people for it only, while ignoring everything else because it doesn't fit into a certain agenda.

What Celtic fans are racist - I think you will find that Celtic fan groups have a name of being anti-racist and left wing - but what has this got to do with this thread!

I think the arguments you have put forward on this thread have been ignorant, extremely weak and pretty embarassing to be honest.

What Celtic fans are racist - I think you will find that Celtic fan groups have a name of being anti-racist and left wing - but what has this got to do with this thread!

I think the arguments you have put forward on this thread have been ignorant, extremely weak and pretty embarassing to be honest.

Hahahaha ok.

The OP did not chose to discuss the behaviour of Poland fans, there is nothing wrong with this and if you continue upon your backseat modding crusade, you will find yourself unable to post in this forum also. Discuss the points made or do not post.

Once again this is a simple case of Celtic fans taking great interest in a case which for the most part has nothing at all to do with them, your not Northern Irish are you?
    Your not Polish?

In fairness Boruc getting death threats (hardly surprising seeing as he does his fair bit of inciting trouble) does bring Celtic fans into it.

If you watch the video that you posted the reporter clearly states that the NI fans were not only attacking the Polish fans but were also attacking Police.

I have watched the video, it clearly backs up the written word in the linked article, i.e. that both sets of fans were involved in disturbances. FFS, it has footage of the row at the pub and an interview with a witness saying it involved Polish fans chucking chairs through the window, and the article states the majority of those arrested were Polish.

I'm bewildered at your attempt to twist the facts to suit yourself.

And I'm not an apologist for any of the behaviour witnessed today, it has no place in society itself, let alone the world of football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement