Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Northern Ireland fans hardly cover themselves in glory today

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

DSB wrote: »
    I've no interest in making 1 for the Polish fans, but lets face it, if the thread was being in any way unbiased and not based on previous racist bigotry, the thread would say Northern Ireland/Poland fans hardly cover themselves in glory today.

Did Polish fans attack the police? Did Polish fans attack the linesman? Did Polish fans sing sectarian songs? Did Polish fans boo'd the anthem played for NI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

bohsman wrote: »
    In fairness Boruc getting death threats (hardly surprising seeing as he does his fair bit of inciting trouble) does bring Celtic fans into it.

Someone wrote RIP Boruc on a wall..... not exactly classy, but come on now, hardly a bullet through the mail is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

The OP did not chose to discuss the behaviour of Poland fans, there is nothing wrong with this and if you continue upon your backseat modding crusade, you will find yourself unable to post in this forum also. Discuss the points made or do not post.

How am I backseat modding? I haven't called for anything to happen anyone or any thread, or called into question anyones modding. I'm just disagreeing with you. I don't see how that comes into that category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

What Celtic fans are racist - I think you will find that Celtic fan groups have a name of being anti-racist and left wing - but what has this got to do with this thread!

True, but yet again its the hangers on in the Celtic jerseys/tracksuits that fuel that reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Who are white Irish people being racist against here?

Did Polish fans attack the police?

Probably. As for the others, I don't know. I don't speak Polish.

True, but yet again its the hangers on in the Celtic jerseys/tracksuits that fuel that reputation.

start a thread about Celtic fans I and I will be happy to defend them there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

podge018 wrote: »
    Who are white Irish people being racist against here?

How do you know they're white? That's a bit racist.

start a thread about Celtic fans I and I will be happy to defend them there!

All too happy, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Eirebear wrote: »
    Someone wrote RIP Boruc on a wall..... not exactly classy, but come on now, hardly a bullet through the mail is it?

Yea but Id still be commenting if a player from my team got abuse. Im sure Rangers fans werent too happy when the fake Lovenkrands got booed at Landsdowne.

Probably. As for the others, I don't know. I don't speak Polish.

Probably - why not "probably not" - since you dont speak Polish. That answer and the fact that you ignored the other point in the post shows who is the real bias here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

start a thread about Celtic fans

That would be a bad idea.

How does anyone know that the Polish fans were'nt signing racist songs?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Fair enough, but lets be fair, the thread is blatant racism in the first place.

Theres one for a start...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The OP did not chose to discuss the behaviour of Poland fans, there is nothing wrong with this and if you continue upon your backseat modding crusade, you will find yourself unable to post in this forum also. Discuss the points made or do not post.

Completely unfair in my opinion.

The topic thread is blatantly misleading when a newspaper reports state many of those causing trouble were Polish.

Furthermore, we all know that many Celtic fans (and Rangers fans up North) use their "support" for only one thing-lets not try and pretend what we see everyday doesn't exist.

• Advertisement

I have watched the video, it clearly backs up the written word in the linked article, i.e. that both sets of fans were involved in disturbances. FFS, it has footage of the row at the pub and an interview with a witness saying it involved Polish fans chucking chairs through the window, and the article states the majority of those arrested were Polish.

I'm bewildered at your attempt to twist the facts to suit yourself.

And I'm not an apologist for any of the behaviour witnessed today, it has no place in society itself, let alone the world of football.

what exactly am I twisting - you are an apologist!

Defend this!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7970131.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Probably - why not "probably not" - since you dont speak Polish. That answer and the fact that you ignored the other point in the post shows who is the real bias here!

While we're talking about ignoring points made previously, any chance you'll reply to my last one re. the incident at the pub and the news clip on the Beeb website?

Yea but Id still be commenting if a player from my team got abuse. Im sure Rangers fans werent too happy when the fake Lovenkrands got booed at Landsdowne.

your right.

But funnily enough the OP didnt mention this in his original post...

I said probably in reference to the police thing considering they were referred to as also taking part of the riots and having an even larger share in it, I wasn't making an assumption as to what they were singing, because as I said, I can't speak Polish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

m@cc@ wrote: »
    How do you know they're white? That's a bit racist.

Presumptious maybe but dont dare call it racist. In no way can it be construed to be that.

• Advertisement

I suggest that people read the charter before continuing to post here. Thread closed temporarily while you do.

I suggest that the bit about back seat modding and abuse get particular attention, because when I open this up again if anybody is in breach of any of the rules of the forum or even comes close they will be dealt with swiftly.

While we're talking about ignoring points made previously, any chance you'll reply to my last one re. the incident at the pub and the news clip on the Beeb website?

The BBC report and I was referin to was this one.

I acknowledge the involvement of the Polish fans at the pub incident but the actions of the NI fans totally outweigh that.

Their behaviour inside and outside the stadium today is totally inexcusible - and I am genuinely shocked to see that some on here are trying to make allowances for it!

The BBC report and I was referin to was this one.

I acknowledge the involvement of the Polish fans at the pub incident but the actions of the NI fans totally outweigh that.

Their behaviour inside and outside the stadium today is totally inexcusible - and I am genuinely shocked to see that some on here are trying to make allowances for it!

Nobody has once made any allowance for the behaviour of Northern Irish fans so stop plugging that one.

Nobody has once made any allowance for the behaviour of Northern Irish fans so stop plugging that one.

you are - you have been making excuses for the disgusting scenes since the start of this thread

Its funny that you havent mentioned any potential agenda that the Rangers fans on this thread might have - you have tended to focus all your comment on the basis that I am a Celtic fan and in some way that excuses what happened today - incase you hadnt noticed Celtic werent playing today.

Please stay on topic if you wouldnt mind.

you are - you have been making excuses for the disgusting scenes since the start of this thread

Nope, just pointing out that this isn't a new thing in football yet you're treating it like an isolated incident, and that I'm well aware of your agenda in treating it as such. I view all football hooligans with pure hate, regardless of their nationality.

Where has he made an excuse? Asking that you give a balanced account is not 'making excuses'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Get off your high horse. Some polish hard lads went to Belfast and started throwing shapes, what did you expect to happen? A red carpet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just to give my thoughts on this. I watched the game on Sky and actually found it very uncomfortable viewing.

The booing of Artur Boruc was childish, petty and unnecessary (we know why it happened). The linesman getting hit with a coin was shameful and the commentators didn't really say anything bad about the fans except 'we don't like to see that happen'. You know George Hamilton would have lambasted any idiot who would have done that at Croker. Lastly the commentators themselves really disappointed me. The main commentator (not Armstrong, no idea who he is) seemed to have very biased views if you get my drift. He spent much of the game going on about how Boruc was a comedy act, he sarcastically referred to him as the 'holy goalie' (why did that need to be brought up?) and he esentially dismissed the booing of him because Boruc was 'controversial'. I'm not a Celtic fan but it was a load of BS.

Despite the propaganda telling me otherwise I'm not convinced the IFA have stamped out the nasty element that exist amongst that fanbase. Just my two cents.

Despite the propaganda telling me otherwise I'm not convinced the IFA have stamped out the nasty element that exist amongst that fanbase. Just my two cents.

I would have thought that was taken as a given. As for Boruc, his abuse is fairly self-inflicted. Incite your rivals fans and they will hate you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Anto McC wrote: »
    Who exactly were they singingn the famine song at?

From what i heard it was to the tune of that song but it had the main line of there is no jobs in Ulster why dont you go home, since there is a large Polish community in Ireland

• Advertisement

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Where has he made an excuse? Asking that you give a balanced account is not 'making excuses'.

Here

So a commentator referring to Artur Boruc as the Holy Goalie, something that Celtic fans refer to him as on a daily basis is somehow sectarian?:confused:

Look i'm not defending the NI fans in any way whatsoever here, as ive said before i have no connection to them and quite frankly couldnt give a damn about what they do.

But i dont believe that Celtic fans interest in this was purely out of their love of Northern Ireland, Poland or International football.

Why are you seemingly the only one here who can't understand what posts like that actually are saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,354 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I would have thought that was taken as a given. As for Boruc, his abuse is fairly self-inflicted. Incite your rivals fans and they will hate you.

So what have you got against Boruc?

From my reading of this thread, you seem to be really offended that the OP limited themselves to just discussing the NI fans... why are you so offended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Nope, just pointing out that this isn't a new thing in football yet you're treating it like an isolated incident, and that I'm well aware of your agenda in treating it as such. I view all football hooligans with pure hate, regardless of their nationality.

so you agree the behavour of those NI fans that caused trouble was disgraceful?

Boruc is no angel and must have expected a hard time given his incitement in Old Firm games.

Why are you seemingly the only one here who can't understand what posts like that actually are saying?

Any right minding person would condemn the behaviour of any fan that throws a missile at officials, riots or sings racial or sectarian songs - instead your approach was to basically say that its fine because it happens all over the world - I frankly find that shocking and disgusting.

From my reading of this thread, you seem to be really offended that the OP limited themselves to just discussing the NI fans... why are you so offended?
    Because I'm sick of reading stuff like this, strictly limited to the Protestant element. Nothing ever mentioned about places like Italy and Eastern Europe where there are much more serious hooligan problems.
    so you agree the behavour of those NI fans that caused trouble was disgraceful?
    Definitely. I hate football hooliganism.
    Any right minding person would condemn the behaviour of any fan that throws a missile at officials, riots or sings racial or sectarian songs - instead your approach was to basically say that its fine because it happens all over the world - I frankly find that shocking and disgusting.
    I do condemn that behaviour, and I didn't say it was fine, thats twisting my words, but just because I condemn that behaviour I'm not going to ignore your agenda to single out certain football hooliganisms above others because there are inherent rivalries with fans of your football club. If this was Wales and Poland, you'd have made no thread. I guarantee it.

Have I missed the part of this thread that said it is the fault of protestants, I read NI not protestant or catholic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Eirebear wrote: »
    So a commentator referring to Artur Boruc as the Holy Goalie, something that Celtic fans refer to him as on a daily basis is somehow sectarian?:confused:

It was the way the guy was going on about it. 'He is supposed to be the holy goalie, isn't he Gerry?' etc. It was just uncomfortable. It was basically joining in with the animosity of the occasion. I don't think a commentator needs to do that. I don't think George Hamilton would have done anything like that and I recall him criticising the muppets at Lansdowne who booed the Danish lad a few years back.

I do think the NI fans are very boistrous which is normally a good thing, however - as with England sometimes - I think on occasion this atmosphere can spill over into outright hostility. Let's just say I wouldn't want to take a young kid to a game like that and allow them experience something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

DSB obviously people in Ireland are going to be more interested in talking about holiganism that happens on this island than holiganism that happens in Eastern Europe.

Have I missed the part of this thread that said it is the fault of protestants, I read NI not protestant or catholic.

Its pretty easy to read between the lines. The only person who has really supported the OP in his agenda has been another Celtic fan. We've seen it time and time again on this forum.

I think you've definitely missed something. What are you talking about?

DSB obviously people in Ireland are going to be more interested in talking about holiganism that happens on this island than holiganism that happens in Eastern Europe.

Most aren't seemingly, over half the posters in this thread share my same sentiments.

Look, you may feell free to read between the lines but I have not seen this sectarianism of which you speak on this thread. We have been discussin NI, you seem to be banging a different drum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

taidghbaby wrote: »
    can never understand the desire of some people to turn a blind eye to hooliganism myself

Like the OP turning a blind eye to Polish hooliganism?

Its pretty easy to read between the lines. The only person who has really supported the OP in his agenda has been another Celtic fan. We've seen it time and time again on this forum.

Another ad hominem argument - its getting pretty weak and boring!

My agenda!! I watched the NI game today because the Celtic keeper was playing - I was disgusted throughtout by the behaviour of Northern Ireland fans (at this stage I didnt even know about their rioting outside) not only towards Boruc but the large scale booing of the anthem, the coining of the linesman and the songs they sung - its was pretty effing outragous imo.

And then when you add the rioting outside the ground then it makes for a pretty sorry cocktail.

Look, you may feell free to read between the lines but I have not seen this sectarianism of which you speak on this thread. We have been discussin NI, you seem to be banging a different drum.

Thankfully most of the rest of the thread has seen it then. So its not just me.

I dont think religion is actually the problem here, however i do believe that the OP's motivation for this post is almost certainly down to percieved links between 2 clubs in Glasgow.
    How often does he start threads about football violence in Italy, Holland, Spain and France? As i said, has he mentioned football violence at all since the events in manchester last May? I highly doubt it.

I believe that the OP's rush to highlight the N.I fans problems led to him blatantly avoiding the fact that Polish fans where involved too, because that would have done his cause no good. All this led to a one sided post on which some members questioned his reasoning.

He is, of course, entitled to his opinion, be it led by other stronger emotions or not, but i also believe that people should be allowed to question his motivations if they believe that he is being unjust or one sided.

I apologise if this is seen as "back seat modding" as it is not my intention, your call is your call.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Like the OP turning a blind eye to Polish hooliganism?

I didnt see any Polish holliganism or loutish behaviour inside the ground and I only found out about the stuff outside the ground from the BBC video I posted which laid the blame with the NI fans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement