Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Northern Ireland fans hardly cover themselves in glory today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

It was the way the guy was going on about it. 'He is supposed to be the holy goalie, isn't he Gerry?' etc. It was just uncomfortable. It was basically joining in with the animosity of the occasion. I don't think a commentator needs to do that. I don't think George Hamilton would have done anything like that and I recall him criticising the muppets at Lansdowne who booed the Danish lad a few years back.

Fair enough, i didnt watch the game so i was a little confused by your original wording.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Eirebear wrote: »
    I dont think religion is actually the problem here, however i do believe that the OP's motivation for this post is almost certainly down to percieved links between 2 clubs in Glasgow.
    How often does he start threads about football violence in Italy, Holland, Spain and France? As i said, has he mentioned football violence at all since the events in manchester last May? I highly doubt it.

I believe that the OP's rush to highlight the N.I fans problems led to him blatantly avoiding the fact that Polish fans where involved too, because that would have done his cause no good. All this led to a one sided post on which some members questioned his reasoning.

He is, of course, entitled to his opinion, be it led by other stronger emotions or not, but i also believe that people should be allowed to question his motivations if they believe that he is being unjust or one sided.

I apologise if this is seen as "back seat modding" as it is not my intention, your call is your call.

Most sensible post so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

I dont think religion is actually the problem here, however i do believe that the OP's motivation for this post is almost certainly down to percieved links between 2 clubs in Glasgow.
    How often does he start threads about football violence in Italy, Holland, Spain and France? As i said, has he mentioned football violence at all since the events in manchester last May? I highly doubt it.

I believe that the OP's rush to highlight the N.I fans problems led to him blatantly avoiding the fact that Polish fans where involved too, because that would have done his cause no good. All this led to a one sided post on which some members questioned his reasoning.

He is, of course, entitled to his opinion, be it led by other stronger emotions or not, but i also believe that people should be allowed to question his motivations if they believe that he is being unjust or one sided.

I apologise if this is seen as "back seat modding" as it is not my intention, your call is your call.

absolute nonsense!

Like I have said - did the Polish fans boo the anthem played for NI? did Polish fans sing sectarian songs? Did Polish fans throw missiles at the officials?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

DSB wrote: »
    Most aren't seemingly, over half the posters in this thread share my same sentiments.

Thats just not true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

did Polish fans sing sectarian songs?

Do you speak Polish and did you listen to every chant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

most people on this site share your sentiments DSB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Thats just not true

Go through the posts and have a look. I'm not talking about people condemning the actions of the Northern Irish fans, I think we're all agreed on that. I'm talking about the agenda on display here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It is yeah-serious agenda

absolute nonsense!

Like I have said - did the Polish fans boo the anthem played for NI? did Polish fans sing sectarian songs? Did Polish fans throw missiles at the officials?

lol, your like a broken record dude.

No the polish fans didnt do any of the things you speak of today, but when you look at the bigger picture today they were also involved in their fair share of trouble.

I am not for one minute going to attack one set of fans while letting another get away with it, the N.I fans certainly didnt cover themselves in glory, but neither did the Poles.

Simple really.

did Polish fans sing sectarian songs?

Having spent a summer in Warsaw and having mastered the Polish language, I can indeed confirm that they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

This behaviour wouldn't have 'appened if JPII was still about. Am I wrong? I am the one who gives a **** about the rules?:confused:

Stekelly wrote: »
    Do you speak Polish and did you listen to every chant?

Are you saying they did - I can hardly come on here giving out about Polish sectarian chanting if I dont understand what they sung - on the other hand i cold hear and understand what the NI fans were singing!

No the polish fans didnt do any of the things you speak of today, but when you look at the bigger picture today they were also involved in their fair share of trouble.

I am not for one minute going to attack one set of fans while letting another get away with it, the N.I fans certainly didnt cover themselves in glory, but neither did the Poles.

Simple really.

Like I said, I didnt see anything that the Poles did that was out of order. I saw plenty that the NI fans did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

What werethey singing then macca?

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Having spent a summer in Warsaw and having mastered the Polish language, I can indeed confirm that they were.

good man yerself! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Rollie-eyes....diseased mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I didnt see any Polish holliganism or loutish behaviour inside the ground and I only found out about the stuff outside the ground from the BBC video I posted which laid the blame with the NI fans.

I've watched the video you posted, and it takes a particularly skewed world view to come to that conclusion.

The reporter clearly stated on a couple of occasions that both sets of fans mixed freely last night, and that the trouble began today with the altercation at the Wetherspoons pub, the blame for which she could not assign to either group at that stage. She said the trouble escalated from there, with both sets of fans facing off against each other with police in between, and it was only when she mentioned the NI fans attacking the police that she alluded to any incident that was the responsibility of one group over the other.

I've no problem with you commenting on what you witnessed yourself, the coin-throwing incident and the nature of the singing are disgrace, but please do not misrepresent the news reports as anything more than they actually are.

I've watched the video you posted, and it takes a particularly skewed world view to come to that conclusion.

The reporter clearly stated on a couple of occasions that both sets of fans mixed freely last night, and that the trouble began today with the altercation at the Wetherspoons pub, the blame for which she could not assign to either group at that stage. She said the trouble escalated from there, with both sets of fans facing off against each other with police in between, and it was only when she mentioned the NI fans attacking the police that she alluded to any incident that was the responsibility of one group over the other.

I've no problem with you commenting on what you witnessed yourself, the coin-throwing incident and the nature of the singing are disgrace, but please do not misrepresent the news reports as anything more than they actually are.

The reporter clearly said at that the NI fans were not just attacking the Polish fans but the police.

Never mention the Polish fans doing the same thing.

What werethey singing then macca?

I can't lie, I didn't watch the game. The bit about speaking Polish was true though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Simple really.

All we can go by is what we have seen ie. NI fans charging at Polish fans, NI fans attacking police, NI fans booing the national anthem, an NI fan hitting the linesman with a coin, NI fans singing the famine song.

We'll probably never know how the fighting started, and which side was to blame, eye witness accounts can only be taken with a pinch of salt and its unlikely they saw everything or know how it started. Therefore the Polish fans "involvment" in all of this may have simply been being attacked by the NI fans and having to defend themselves. Point is, we can only go by what we know as fact, and for that reason we can only talk with certainty about the NI fans behaviour today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

I think it is an absolute disgrace booing boruc just because he plays for Celtic. Afterall the ROI fans NEVER boo a rangers player...

The reporter clearly said at that the NI fans were not just attacking the Polish fans but the police.

Never mention the Polish fans doing the same thing.

Are you actually reading my posts? :confused:
    it was only when she mentioned the NI fans attacking the police that she alluded to any incident that was the responsibility of one group over the other

pipeliner wrote: »
    I think it is an absolute disgrace booing boruc just because he plays for Celtic. Afterall the ROI fans NEVER boo a rangers player...

I think that's a sideline in comparison to everything else.

m@cc@ wrote: »

Why did you say this then if you indeed cannot lie?

All we can go by is what we have seen ie. NI fans charging at Polish fans, NI fans attacking police, NI fans booing the national anthem, an NI fan hitting the linesman with a coin, NI fans singing the famine song.

We'll probably never know how the fighting started, and which side was to blame, eye witness accounts can only be taken with a pinch of salt and its unlikely they saw everything or know how it started. Therefore the Polish fans "involvment" in all of this may have simply been being attacked by the NI fans and having to defend themselves. Point is, we can only go by what we know as fact, and for that reason we can only talk with certainty about the NI fans behaviour today.

I'm not trying to blame anyone, im simply saying the the OP was biased and one sided.

We know for a fact that polish fans were involved in violence in belfast, just as we know that NI fans were involved in wrongdoing inside the ground.

you contradict yourself something rotten here:
    eye witness accounts can only be taken with a pinch of salt

e can only talk with certainty about the NI fans behaviour today

i'm guessing you watched the game on TV?

• Advertisement

Sligobhoy, just out of curiousity, how come you only post in this forum when Protestant football fans do something wrong?

Why did you say this then if you indeed cannot lie?

Even that was a lie. Or was it?

I say again:
    The trouble started in the city centre shortly before 1500 on Saturday when Northern Irish and Polish fans gathered in the same pub on Bedford Street.

The pub was closed, considerable damage having been caused. Nine people were arrested following the trouble.

Police said the majority of them were Polish.

That lends itself to the conclusion that the majority of aggressors in the initial disturbance were Polish fans.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7969871.stm

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Sligobhoy, just out of curiousity, how come you only post in this forum when Protestant football fans do something wrong?

I couldnt give a **** about religion! whats yer point?

my point is you have interest in posting about football, except when Rangers/NI fans cause trouble.....why?

• Advertisement

I say again:

That lends itself to the conclusion that the majority of aggressors in the initial disturbance were Polish fans.

does it!?

Sammy who shall we arrest the Poles or the boys from Our Wee Country?

does it!?

OR! maybe they just arrested the people who were causing the disturbence.

lets be honest, thats more likely.

my point is you have interest in posting about football, except when Rangers/NI fans cause trouble.....why?

Just to add, NI fans aren't necessarily protestant. Only when there's trouble. ;)

does it!?

Those boys who are attacking us?

does it!?

I thought you only wanted to speak about the facts?

well I thats just plain old BS!

Thats hardly much of a defence.

Thats hardly much of a defence.

I didnt realise I had to defend myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

Sad to see these things happening at football matches, it probably comes down to the fact that they are two sets of volatile supporters. The coin tossing is totally unacceptable and i hate to hear fans booing another teams national anthem theres no need for that. But the Polish football fans are no angels themselves.

No they are not but as I recall, the defence we did it because they were going to do it does not absolve you of guilt.

• Advertisement

I didnt realise I had to defend myself!

You don't have to but you did.

You don't have to but you did.

well I try to help when I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

No they are not but as I recall, the defence we did it because they were going to do it does not absolve you of guilt.

My opinion is that they both share equal blame in the the violence that happened before the game.

ok that was interesting, just read your contribution to the soccer forum.

SPL thread: 23 posts, at least 12 of which concern the sectarian side of the old firm divide.

LOI players thread: 1 post. quite humerously, a petty dig at the IFA up north.

Manchester Derby: two posts. because you happened to be at the match.

To give you an idea how little you post unless it resolves sectarianism of some sort, this evening you have posted over 30 times in this thread alone.

Sort yourself out lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Both sets of fans have a hooligan element both sides must take equal responsibility for all violence that occured yesterday.

Personally I think when actions like this happen actions such as deducting points and holding matches behind closed doors need to be looked at. And in response to the opening post no some northern Ireland fans didn't cover them selves in glory but the rest of them i'm sure where just delighted to beat poland for the first time in 18 years most of them are just ordinary folk that are being stereotyped.

I would have thought that was taken as a given. As for Boruc, his abuse is fairly self-inflicted. Incite your rivals fans and they will hate you.

Boruc incited Northern Ireland fans how?

Both sets of fans have a hooligan element both sides must take equal responsibility for all violence that occured yesterday.

Personally I think when actions like this happen actions such as deducting points and holding matches behind closed doors need to be looked at. And in response to the opening post no some northern Ireland fans didn't cover them selves in glory but the rest of them i'm sure where just delighted to beat poland for the first time in 18 years most of them are just ordinary folk that are being stereotyped.

UEFA/FIFA dont usually take any action unless events occur inside a ground.

Boruc incited Northern Ireland fans how?

You really do love playing dumb when it suits you. Like you don't know exactly what I'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Well if certain Celtic fans didn't dive in any time theres anything sectarian to post about on this forum, it wouldn't be the case.

Advertisement