Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Northern Ireland fans hardly cover themselves in glory today

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Two points

1. Booing Boruc - Hey remember ok2boo ?, not that long ago ROI fans were defending the booing of any international that played for Rangers, so ROI fans hardly covered themselves in glory at that period

2. Both sets of fans were responsible for this trouble and seeing as no one on these boards in advocating a combined ROI/Poland team I think it is safe to say an All Ireland team should never be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

DSB wrote: »
    You really do love playing dumb when it suits you. Like you don't know exactly what I'm talking about.

no I dont know! What did Boruc do to incite Norn Iron fans?

What did the linemans do to incite the crowd as well!

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I didnt realise that this was a common theme on here. However, something seems a miss when you get a reaction like this.

DSB wrote: »
    Well if certain Celtic fans didn't dive in any time theres anything sectarian to post about on this forum, it wouldn't be the case.

Thats bull****, complete and absolute bull**** - I have already pointed out that I watched the game and all the incidents I saw and heard at the game involved the NI fans and then I saw the BBC video that I posted in which the reporter imo lays the majority of the blame with the NI fans.

Now unless you are an apologist for thuggery then..............whats the point!!

I think some of ye on here should be script writers for Gregory Campbell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

More news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7970522.stm
    Police officers were injured in disturbances surrounding Northern Ireland's World Cup qualifier against Poland in Belfast.

Up to 60 NI fans clashed with police at the bottom of Tates Avenue, outside Windsor Park after Saturday's game, with fireworks being thrown.

Nine people, the majority Polish, were earlier arrested after trouble at a city pub. Five have been released.

Police blamed a hard core of ticketless Polish fans who were intent on trouble.

"It is important that those responsible for this unacceptable behaviour, the injury of police officers and the wanton destruction of property should be brought to justice at the earliest opportunity," Superintendent Chris Noble said.

"My team will be collating and analysing CCTV footage to identify the perpetrators and bring them before the courts.

"My officers came under attack from bottles, bricks, fireworks and other missiles. At this stage we have reports of 11 officers injured. A number of fans both Northern Ireland and Polish supporters also received a number of injuries some of these required hospital treatment."

Superintendent Noble said a number of homes had been attacked and these were "being treated as racially motivated incidents".

He also condemned the behaviour of "so-called supporters of football who have destroyed what should have been an enjoyable evening for all supporters and have tarnished the reputation of genuine law abiding football supporters".

"We believe there was a hard core of Polish nationals who came to the game without tickets but with a very clear intent to cause trouble and disruption to genuine supporters and local residents," he added.

"We believe these troublemakers are not local; they have travelled to Northern Ireland with the express purpose of causing trouble.

"Unfortunately their actions may well have put the safety of law abiding and local Polish residents in jeopardy.
    I would appeal to all right minded people to assist these neighbours and unite with them to condemn this type of behaviour and isolate the perpetrators of this type of criminality."

Riot police in armoured Land Rovers were deployed on Saturday as fans made their way to the ground, and residents were advised by police to stay indoors.

During the game play was suspended for five minutes after a linesman was hit on the head with a small object thrown from the crowd.

Northern Ireland Sports Minister Gregory Campbell, who was at the game, told BBC News one confrontation began after some Polish supporters unfurled a republican flag.

He said: "There were some Polish fans who introduced one of the Irish republican flags, that are supportive of the group that killed the soldiers and the policeman a few weeks ago, which obviously then led to even more tension.

"I suspect and heard that there were further scenes of violence then immediately after the game."

Trouble started in the city centre shortly before 1500 GMT when Northern Ireland and Poland fans gathered in the same Wetherspoons pub on Bedford Street.

A Wetherspoons spokesman said he understood it began following an "altercation between a Polish fan and a local".

The spokesman estimated damage which could run into thousands of pounds was caused, and the premises was closed.

The Polish fans were kept inside the ground for nearly an hour after the match, which kicked-off at 1715 GMT.

DUP South Belfast MLA Jimmy Spratt condemned the violence and said reports of "up to 12 houses" being targeted in the Village area were "very disturbing".

"Police have confirmed to me that Poles involved in earlier trouble are not resident in Northern Ireland and as such these attacks on the homes of foreign nationals in the Donegall Road area are totally illogical," he said.

"Such attacks can never be justified, they are to be utterly condemned and I would appeal for calm."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This thread has FAIL.

And more:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0329/breaking9.htm
    The match was held up during the first half when a linemen was hit by missile thrown from from a crowd of Northern Ireland supporters in the North Stand just after Poland levelled the game at 1-1.

Later there was trouble on the Dublin Road, but the worst of the violence flared at Tates Avenue close to the ground. Riot police were called in when rival fans attacked each other and police officers with fireworks, bottles and traffic cones.

Polish fans inside the ground were also involved in trouble in the closing stages of the match which ended in a 3-2 victory for Northern Ireland. Several tried to climb the perimeter fence after leaving the South Stand to reach the terracing. But again police moved in to stop them.

_45612656_007088200-1.jpg

Sligobhoy, who gives a flying fcuk what both sets of Hooligans do to each other? Really, who cares? Let them knock lumps out of each other if they want.

I feel sorry for the linesman but I'm sure he will be ok.

I'm sure Boruc has heard as bad or worse in Ibrox and anyway the "famine" song hardly affects him. As far as I know none of his relatives died in the Great Famine. He is Polish you know.;)

By the way, Poland has one of the worst football hooligan problems in Europe. The Krakow Derby being one of the most hate filled Derby in the world, it makes Celtic-Rangers seem like childs play!

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2008/05/06/the-holy-war-in-poland/

Here's the Six One clip from RTE:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0329/belfast_av.html?2516306,null,230

Seems a lot of red being worn by those NI fans there.

Looking fowards to the 2012 Euro championships

283489184_03fe26d9b4.jpg?v=0

• Advertisement

Spurs have been in Poland and Ukraine this season in the Uefa, very unpleasant from what I've heard back from mates who went. Hotel in Donetsk was fire bombed.

That said quite a few of our regular travellers would not be shy about dishing out a slap or two, but usually they restrict themselves to like-minded chaps.

mike65 wrote: »
    Looking fowards to the 2012 Euro championships

283489184_03fe26d9b4.jpg?v=0

Yeah, can't wait. Must start saving for the riot gear soon :pac:

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Sligobhoy, who gives a flying fcuk what both sets of Hooligans do to each other? Really, who cares? Let them knock lumps out of each other if they want.

I feel sorry for the linesman but I'm sure he will be ok.

I'm sure Boruc has heard as bad or worse in Ibrox and anyway the "famine" song hardly affects him. As far as I know none of his relatives died in the Great Famine. He is Polish you know.;)

By the way, Poland has one of the worst football hooligan problems in Europe. The Krakow Derby being one of the most hate filled Derby in the world, it makes Celtic-Rangers seem like childs play!

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2008/05/06/the-holy-war-in-poland/

My last post on this subject because I cant understand why people on here are so willing to be apologists for thuggery - if this was LoI, RoI or English fans that were involved the same people that an making excuses for this behaviour would be taring strips off them.

1. Feeney's comments whipped up fevor.

2. "Death Threat" towards Boruc was distgusting and set the tone again - could have been kids but that is a poor excuse.

3. BBC report that a pub was destroyed - I understand that Polish fans could have started but that NI fans were also involved.

4. NI fans were involved and were rioting elsewhere when they clashed with Polish fans and the police.

5. At the game itself NI fans booed the Polish national anthem.

6. NI fans booed Boruc and sung songs at him from first touch to the last - nothing wrong with that per se but again it underpinned the nasty undertone.

7. Coin thrown at the lineman from the NI section.

8. NI sing the "famine song" - possibly one of the most ignorant and disgusting songs ever chanted on football terraces. I dont speak Polish so would welcome any input from those that do.

9. Commentators were complicite and biased - glossed over any chanting, the coin been thrown "I am sure the NI fans will sort it out themselves" and seemed to excuse the booing of Boruc and explain is as him being controvertial.

10. Homes occupied Polish residents were then attack in "racially motivated" incidents.

Now Polish fans have a name for trouble but there wasnt trouble when the played Ireland and I am sure they started some of this but that doesnt explain the widespread disruption from NI fans both inside and outside the ground.

I just wait for Gregory Campbell to come forward and excuse all this and lay the blame at the feet of Celtic fans! :rolleyes:

Yeah, can't wait. Must start saving for the riot gear soon :pac:

When I saw that, I initially though it was a rudimentary heating system, Polish winters being what they are. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Are you all that naive that you all don't think this happens in England and Scotland every week?

The FA placed a ban on the media reporting hooliganism at the start of the premiership years and now everyone thinks it has gone away? Football fans really are naive.

What happened yesterday up north is the sum totally of 2 sets of hooligan groups organising a meet and then kicking the bollix out of each other. Thats 2 sets, not one or the other. Hoolies don't fight scarfers unless provoked by violence and thats how it is.

Some of the posters in here have their heads buried right in the sand and i'm not purposely having a go here but they all seem to be Premiership fans. Some of the posts are so blindingly biased against the Poles it's scary and whats worse is the people doing it genuinely believe it.

Some of your need to get your heads out of the sand, posters and Mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My last post on this subject because I cant understand why people on here are so willing to be apologists for thuggery - if this was LoI, RoI or English fans that were involved the same people that an making excuses for this behaviour would be taring strips off them.

1. Feeney's comments whipped up fevor.

2. "Death Threat" towards Boruc was distgusting and set the tone again - could have been kids but that is a poor excuse.

3. BBC report that a pub was destroyed - I understand that Polish fans could have started but that NI fans were also involved.

4. NI fans were involved and were rioting elsewhere when they clashed with Polish fans and the police.

4. At the game itself NI fans booed the Polish national anthem.

5. NI fans booed Boruc and sung songs at him from first touch to the last - nothing wrong with that per se but again it underpinned the nasty undertone.

5. Coin thrown at the lineman from the NI section.

6. NI sing the "famine song" - possibly one of the most ignorant and disgusting songs ever chanted on football terraces. I dont speak Polish so would welcome any input from those that do.

8. Commentators were complicite and biased - glossed over any chanting, the coin been thrown "I am sure the NI fans will sort it out themselves" and seemed to excuse the booing of Boruc and explain is as him being controvertial.

7. Homes occupied Polish residents were then attack in "racially motivated" incidents.

Now Polish fans have a name for trouble but there wasnt trouble when the played Ireland and I am sure they started some of this but that doesnt explain the widespread disruption from NI fans both inside and outside the ground.

I just wait for Gregory Campbell to come forward and excuse all this and lay the blame at the feet of Celtic fans! :rolleyes:
    I didn't even read that post

Just take your medicine and accept that it was both sets of fans involved in trouble (as demonstrated by therecklessone)

You were wrong. Accept and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

PSNI say the Poles displayed CIRA and RIRA flags and goaded the NI fans into a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Eirebear wrote: »
    ...instead we should comment on N.I's third goal....;)

Defender's fault. Never play a back pass on target.

Anyway, as you were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

"We're in recession.....why dont you go home" was the song supposely song and not the Famine song. That coming from someone who was at the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

What a load of rubbish If pointing out that both sets of fans were involved not just one is having an agenda so be it every newspaper I have read or any news broadcast I have seen makes it clear both sets of fans had a hooligan elemen............but certain people only want to point out the NI hooligans funny that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Ziggy, i reckon you know me a little better than that.

I dont come on here in order to have a go at celtic fans, and i try not to get involved in debates over the general Rangers/Celtic thing.

However i will call someone on it if i honestly feel they are trying to get a poorly judged swipe in at things.

If the OP had came on here with his first post and said, "Northern Ireland and Poland fans dont cover themselves in glory" i would have had no issue whatsoever.
    But he didnt, because that doesnt suit the agenda.

But ive said my piece on it, and i will leave others to think what they will.

No, i generally dont get involved in topics involving hooliganism because my feelings are clear on the whole thing, in general it is not a football problem but one within society as a whole.
    Thugs have used football as a vehicle for violence for many a year.

I agree, the thread should have been used as an excercise in showing disgust for what the NI and Poland fans got involved in yesterday, but when it takes the OP as long as it did to even admit that the Polish fans were accountable in any way whatsoever, its not going to happen.

I have not layed into Celtic fans in this thread whatsoever, only the OP's attitude towards events. (with the possibly exception of "the big bad hun" comment, which to be honest was aimed at the OP rather than Celtic fans as a whole)

Anyway, its done now and i dont see the need for dragging it up anymore, i just hope you understand a little more about where i was coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

It's gas. In a clear case of N'irish scum V Polish scum, people will look for any reason to mudsling against the north :rolleyes:
    Both fans met their match, lock 'em both up in Windsor Park and let them all have a royal rumble style deathmatch.

Hell, throw in some Limerick scummers too, they can have a wee tournament.

Thats better :D

p16a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

After reading through this thread i don't see the point of laying the blame solely at the door of the northern irish or polish. The fact of the matter is that certain individuals behaved like idiots on saturday. Some happened to be polish, others happened to be northern irish. Trying to decide which group caused the more trouble just seems pointless.

Every country has it's idiots. There just happened to be a lot of them around/in Windsor park on saturday.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

What exactly is your point? Some Polish lad started a bar fight so obviously they were they sole cause of all the trouble last Saturday, is that it? Sure if they're starting bar fights so easily what else are they to blame for? The current ecomonic crisis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I actually don't know what you're 'totally innocent' remark refers to here. Care to expand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

There's a fine line between banter and rascism in footballing terms. Gathering from what I've read there's no innocent party. There's good and bad people wherever you go, not excluding football stadiums.

I think this overshadows what was a spectacular win for Norn Iron given the (IMO) difference in quality. .And I'm fairly sure the larger percentile of the capacity were fine, as is with most matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

On a side note...one thing i can never understand - Why do the North play in green? A unionist team supported almost exclusively by unionist people. Beats me! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

grenache wrote: »
    On a side note...one thing i can never understand - Why do the North play in green? A unionist team supported almost exclusively by unionist people. Beats me! :confused:

Well I think to call NI a 'Unionist Team' is way off

Yes the majority of their fans are from the Unionist/Loylaist tradition but over the years the players themselves have come from both traditions.

The reason they wear green is because they are an Irish team and green is the colour of Ireland.

The majority of unionists see themselves as being Irish, but not in the same sense as a nationalist may see themselves as Irish.

A unionist sees themselves as Irish in the 'British family' and being Irish distinguishes them from being Welsh, Scottish or English, but they are still British.

A nationalist sees themselves as being Irish in an independent, singular sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Jaysus, can't believe this thread lasted this long.

I see this thread is still full of bitterness, suprise suprise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yes, there are scumbags in Northern Ireland. There are also scumbags in the Republic as well.

What exactly is your major malfunction??

• Advertisement
Advertisement