Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics and Sport: Could you support Northern Ireland?

Options
  • 28-03-2009 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Could you support Northern Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

Yes But why

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I did when they were in Mexico, our closest neighbour in the tournament at the time. Fantastic when they managed to beat Spain.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Pandcoa

I seen Martin Lynch's "History of the Troubles accordin' to me Da" last week, there was a good set up of a joke of a nationalist family watching NI vs. Spain, anyway as you can guess, the punchline was "COME ON SPAIN" - was funny in action

I don't watch soccer so I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Eh, why not?

It's not like they're England.

We still like to pretend that as a nation that they're "us".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

No, why would I? If I want to suffer though 90 minutes of crap football Ive always got the Republic to support instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Tannylan wrote: »
    Yes But why

I have no problem supporting them in principal. But I couldn't under the present situation, as it is too sectarian.

Has anything changed since Neil Lennon was forced to quit the team? I doubt it. Sport and Politics are inextricably linked in the North. The Northern Irish soccer team are a British team for a British people. The team would need to be a lot more inclusive for it to get my support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Yea.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Unfortunately for this thread, sport and politics aren't inextricably linked on the politics board.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement