Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert at 35!

Options
  • 28-03-2009 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I want to go back and do my Leaving Cert at 35. Is this possible?

Thanks,
    S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It is possible, of course.

But, at 35 - you would be eligible for college as a mature student. Perhaps it might be more useful for you? I'm in college as a mature student and I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

You can go back and do individual subjects but as the poster above said, you can also go to college as a mature student and your leaving cert results doesn't really matter!

Indeedy - Besides, if you are looking for work - a college degree is going to open up so many more avenues for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 36251Sam

Thanks guys and girls for your replies, most helpful.

This may sound strange but I actually have a BA ;)
    Went to college as mature student when I was 25 under the over 23 mature student act so no results required.

I know it seems odd but somehow its a matter of the principle of the thing, not having the LC, its just been on my mind alot like something hanging over me. I thought I could just slay the demons and do the bloody LC again!

S

I understand the sentiment and wish you the best of luck with it if you go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Jesus... Fair play to you OP.
    I dont have any qualifications and the thought of going back and re sitting the LC has occurred to me but I just don't have the patience to sit down and try to study. That's why I never did a fantastic LC to start off with. Got far too distracted with everything else that was going on (the fact that I was 18 in my last year in school also meant that my weekends were taken up socializing!!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Every year there are a number of older people who sit the Leaving. You can sit a full set of subjects, or as many as you want. Just apply to the State Examinations Commission.

I originally did my Leaving in 1980, always regretted not having done Art, so did it myself a few years ago. Next on my list at some stage is Music, once I've got a bit better at my chosen instrument and then maybe Tech. Graphics (or whatever they call it now).

It's never too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

36251Sam wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to go back and do my Leaving Cert at 35. Is this possible?

Thanks,
    S
    I'll see your LC at 35 and raise you a PhD at 75 and an MA at 84! :D

(Neither of them is me btw, just two people I know! :p)

In your circumstances I don't think I'd bother, personally, but everyone is different and looks at these things differently ... if it's something you want to do, just go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Thanks guys and girls for your replies, most helpful.

This may sound strange but I actually have a BA ;)
    Went to college as mature student when I was 25 under the over 23 mature student act so no results required.

I know it seems odd but somehow its a matter of the principle of the thing, not having the LC, its just been on my mind alot like something hanging over me. I thought I could just slay the demons and do the bloody LC again!

S

No advice really just to say best of luck with it mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 36251Sam

Cheers all, those comments are most helpful.
    Agree, its just one of those things that niggles at you and can lead to some loss of self esteem which I know is silly but its hard to explain.

Spurious, my BA is in Music so shout if you need any help with your studies.
    S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Saffy09

There is nothing stopping you going back and doing your LC at 35. If it is something you think will make you happy and more complete then I would say go for it. Contact your local VEC and see what options are available for mature students wanting to do the LC. Depending on where you are living there are a vaierty of options. Try and getting talking to someone in adult education section. People working in adult ed appreciate that reasons for learning and study are very personal. It is not about a progression to further study or work it is about how education makes you feel about yourself. Another option may be to look at some of the FETAC courses which will give you an equivalent qualification to an ordinary LC (Level 4) on the NFQ. This is sometimes an alternative route but more so for accessing PLC's and college. If it's the LC you want then go for it. And best of luck. I think its great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I want to go back

When you say you want to go back, do you mean go to an evening school or something? Because you can 'easily' do the leaving cert just studying at home depending on the subjects.

For maths, english, irish, french, german, other languages, economics, business, accounting, applied maths you can just study at home and arrange to have your orals in some school.

for science subjects biology, ag science, physics, chemistry, history, geography, religion, home economics you need to do projects and experiments and have these verified by a teacher so you would probably need to go to a school classes for those (although there may be a way around it).

look up the past exam papers and answers on www.examinations.ie (go to material archive on the pull down list on the left) and see what grabs your fancy

i say definitely do it because its always going to be nagging you. apart from the personal satisfaction, some employers still look at the leaving cert even if you have a degree so it's another string to your bow

Advertisement