Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incoming calls diverted if I'm downloading data (GPRS)

Options
  • 28-03-2009 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

If you are in non 3G coverage on GPRS (Vodafone) downloading data to your phone and someone tries to ring you, the call gets diverted to your voicemail. Is there any way around this to allow the data call to be set aside and allow the Voice call through?

No such problems on 3G, but I always (wrongly) thought that GPRS was the same
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You probably have a divert set for when you're busy on the phone. Try disabling that.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭CivilEx

chrislad wrote: »
    You probably have a divert set for when you're busy on the phone. Try disabling that.
    But how can the phone be busy if I am downloading. I'm not making a call :)

Did as you suggested though. Now if I am downloading, the person making the call to me gets a busy tone rather than being diverted to voicemail.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Unfortunately, there is no way disable the call divert while gprs or edge data calls are active. This is inherent to the tech. Basically, while you're downloading, you are using the voice call channel as well as the wap data channel. This enables the extra speed.
    3g & 3.5g compensate for this downfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I think this might vary by network. I'm on O2 and when someone rings me while I'm downloading data over EDGE, it just interrupts the connection and the call comes through. I've never been in a GPRS-only area though. Might this only apply to GPRS and not EDGE, considering that Vodafone don't have an EDGE service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I noticed while on O2 it would let calls through but on Vodafone now it doesn't seem too.

Someone suggested I try the "internet call waiting" feature on my n95 but this seemed to have no effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Random wrote: »
    I noticed while on O2 it would let calls through but on Vodafone now it doesn't seem too.

Someone suggested I try the "internet call waiting" feature on my n95 but this seemed to have no effect.

Isn't internet call waiting to do with voip?

This does seem to be limited to GPRS rather than EDGE, but what confused me was that when you activate call waiting, you get a message stating "setting succeeded data call waiting"

I guess that only applies to 3G

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

From theory and practice, voice always take priority over a data connection, regardless of the network connection used i.e. GPRS, EDGE 3G.

On Vodafone and on Meteor, the data connection will pause when a voice calls comes through. I am not aware of how O2 and 3 operate, but I would have assumed they operated in the same manner.

You can find additional information regarding this here and here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It's a GPRS issue. As far as I can remember (it's been a while since I looked at this), there are 3 ways to run GPRS channels and 2 of them will interrupt voice calls. The other one will allow calls but interrupt the GPRS channel.

Is your phone set to use Dual mode or GSM mode? If it's set to GSM mode try setting it to dual mode and you might not get the issue

Ok, I'm using an iPAQ and can't find any settings related to Dual / GSM Mode. I also tried the sim in an iPhone and its' the same thing - no voice call can get through if I'm on downloading on GPRS.

I tried an O2 sim on EDGE in the same two phones and both will accept an incoming call while downloading data - so its' not the phones which are the problem.

I think its something in the way the network (Vodafone) have provisioned my account. Anyone any ideas what to ask Customer Care?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

CivilEx wrote: »
    Ok, I'm using an iPAQ and can't find any settings related to Dual / GSM Mode. I also tried the sim in an iPhone and its' the same thing - no voice call can get through if I'm on downloading on GPRS.

I tried an O2 sim on EDGE in the same two phones and both will accept an incoming call while downloading data - so its' not the phones which are the problem.

I think its something in the way the network (Vodafone) have provisioned my account. Anyone any ideas what to ask Customer Care?

I carried out several tests over GPRS on a Vodafone number, made several test calls to the number during an active GPRS connection and the calls would not go through either.

To be honest, I don’t think there’s anything you can do to rectify this issue. Vodafone appear to have changed the GPRS priority, as it has not always been this way. You could call Vodafone customer care and ask to be put through to their technical support department, but you will most likely only be given information on when this priority change took place, as opposed to a change on your account that would rectify this issue.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I carried out several tests over GPRS on a Vodafone number, made several test calls to the number during an active GPRS connection and the calls would not go through either.

To be honest, I don’t think there’s anything you can do to rectify this issue. Vodafone appear to have changed the GPRS priority, as it has not always been this way. You could call Vodafone customer care and ask to be put through to their technical support department, but you will most likely only be given information on when this priority change took place, as opposed to a change on your account that would rectify this issue.
    Cheers,

I'll give them a call to see what they say. I can't understand why they would have changed this priority as the amount of data that phones consume these days is on the increase all the time. *brainwave* maybe thats why they brought in Vodafone In touch to let you know when someone had tried to get through and couldn't :)

Thanks all for the responses.

Advertisement