Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Hunt

• 28-03-2009 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

Stephen Hunt, what a bad bad player.

He has a very high opinion of himself judging by the weekly article he use to write for star sunday (not sure if he still does) maybe if he concentrated more on his football instead of writing bout how good he thinks he is, why he should be in irelands starting 11 and everything else in between!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

He won the free that led to the goal brother !

Thank christ he on the field tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭podge018

I could win a freekick. He's been muck since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Nahh, he is a cracking lad to have in a team, works hard, is creative and is not afraid of a challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

redout wrote: »
    He won the free that led to the goal brother !

Thank christ he on the field tonight.

Ah but anyone could win a free kick.......
    Nahh, he is a cracking lad to have in a team, works hard, is creative and is not afraid of a challenge.

Works Hard = runs around like a headless chicken

Creative = runs into players and down blind alleys and gives away the ball

Not afraid of a challenge = Dirty Bastard and never wins a genuine 50/50.

Plays in the Championship (badly) for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

He's a donkey just like 8 other members of the starting 11.

• Advertisement

Whos the 2 that aint? Im goin with Dunne and Given??

JMCD wrote: »
    Ah but anyone could win a free kick.......

Well that free was won because he hit it past a player and ran onto it. His pace won us the free and opposite of what you said not anyone of our players could have won that particular free except for maybe McGeady or Duff.

redout wrote: »
    Well that free was won because he hit it past a player and ran onto it. His pace won us the free and opposite of what you said not anyone of our players could have won that particular free except for maybe McGeady or Duff.

Yea but any player can win a free kick! Invite a challenge and tumble over, Its not a justifiable reason as to why he should be playing!!

Also it wasnt necessarily his pace that won the free kick, I have often knocked the ball by a left full and I wouldnt be the fastest but the left full would check ya because he would be caught out of position/his feet werent quick enough to react and get into position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Keane, Doyle, McGeady, O'Shea, Dunne and Kilbane. All six are capable of getting the ball down and playing it. However, the two lads in the centre can't (or won't or are told not to) and that's why everything breaks down.

Hunt is a great player to have. First line of defence is attack and we'd be f**ked tonight if it weren't for the front lads pressuring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

He's a useful player to have in the squad when you're looking for someone to come on a run at tired legs and inject a bit of pace.

And I think we'd all agree he shouldn't be starting, but he only is tonight because of an injury to Duff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Yea but any player can win a free kick! Invite a challenge and tumble over, Its not a justifiable reason as to why he should be playing!!

Who should be on the left then? As a matter of interest, who do you want to replace the 8 other "donkeys" with?

Also it wasnt necessarily his pace that won the free kick, I have often knocked the ball by a left full and I wouldnt be the fastest but the left full would check ya because he would be caught out of position/his feet werent quick enough to react and get into position.

Well watch the highlights brother because it most certainly was. Jesus it only happened 60mins ago can you not recall it ?

eddiehead wrote: »
    Who should be on the left then? As a matter of interest, who do you want to replace the 8 other "donkeys" with?

I never claimed they were donkeys, was just commenting on what the other lad said, he could of pushed kilbane outside left and had foley/kelly come in as left full. Or changed the formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

K4t wrote: »
    Hunt is a great player to have. First line of defence is attack and we'd be f**ked tonight if it weren't for the front lads pressuring.

Doesn't make them great players. I think Hunt is a donkey, tries hard, but has no technical ability. What standard would you have Hunt at? He's not good enough for any EPL team.

Doesn't make them great players. I think Hunt is a donkey, tries hard, but has no technical ability. What standard would you have Hunt at? He's not good enough for any EPL team.

I agree...thats why he is in the championship!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Would he be okay in the premier**** then :rolleyes: He had chances to go to the prem but decided to stay with Reading and help them back up again, don't be surprised if he is not in the prem if Reading do not go up.

Would he be okay in the premier**** then :rolleyes: He had chances to go to the prem but decided to stay with Reading and help them back up again, don't be surprised if he is not in the prem if Reading do not go up.

Nah dont believe that..........If he was good enough to be in the Premierhip he would be....simple as.

But to answer your question, no he would still be crap in the premiership!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

To be fair to the lad he works like a dog, but his end product leaves a lot to be desired, yeah I know he crossed for the goal, but 99% of the time it's rubbish and he has limited pace. He can't link play as well, unlike Duff.

He is better than Ronaldo at making a player look like he's being fouled / coaxing a player into fouling him though. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

He's an excellant third winger option for us. He lacks some quality no doubt, but his pace, aggression and work rate all offer a great option in the second half of games when Duff or MacGeady tire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nah dont believe that..........If he was good enough to be in the Premierhip he would be....simple as.

You don't or we shouldn't? Like a lot of facts, it isn't really a matter of belief. Is the sky blue iyo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So Doyle isn't good enough for the Premiership then?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

I love him (in a totally hetro way), but I think he's a far better impact player for us. Only played tonight coz Duff was injured.

He was disappointing tonight, but he gives so much effort and desire that it's hard to give out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wigan and Everton were both interested in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

He blows hot and cold when he's having a good day he's really dangerous, he can beat players, puts good balls into the box and he's a goal scoring threat but when he has an off day he can be really realy poor and very frustrating and wasteful with the ball. He's a great impact player, id always start him on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Is Doyle not good enough for the Premiership then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

he's too easy to defend against when on the ball, puts the head down and goes down the outside. He's useful, but not over 90 mins when people can cop he's a bit one dimensional, as what happened tonight. I'd still have him in my squad though, but i'd have preferred if we started with Andy Reid on the left, even if it means losing some width.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hunt's not a bad player. He was linked with a Premiership move in January due to his good form in the Championship where he and his brother were creating and scoring bags of goals. He was arguably Reading's best player last year and did more than most to try and save them. He'd be a starter in a lower half of the Premier League side such as Bolton or Blackburn.

I don't think he's worth a place in the Irish starting XI when everyone's fit but he certainly deserves to be in the squad. He has the ability to create something from nothing as he showed tonight and you need that in a squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

he's too easy to defend against when on the ball, puts the head down and goes down the outside. He's useful, but not over 90 mins when people can cop he's a bit one dimensional, as what happened tonight. I'd still have him in my squad though, but i'd have preferred if we started with Andy Reid on the left, even if it means losing some width.

I think we'd be gaining some width :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

mike65 wrote: »

As were Spurs, and Newcastle IIRC.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Is Doyle not good enough for the Premiership then?

No......I estly dont think so. Great lad with great attitude and better on the ball than hunt, but that isnt enough in the premiership, dosent hit the net often enough and I think a top player would of scored the late chance that we had with his heder.....

mike65 wrote: »
    As were Spurs, and Newcastle IIRC.

They are all just rumours lads! Did that come directly from Kevin Doyle? Did a concrete offer go in for him?

If one of the above mentioned really wanted him they would of went and got him! Like the way every other top team who wants a player always,eventually gets there man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

They are all just rumours lads! Did that come directly from Kevin Doyle? Did a concrete offer go in for him?

Reading DOF Nicky Hammond confirmed that Spurs contacted him in the closing hours of the summer transfer window with a view to buying Doyle as a replacement when Berbatov was sold.

I was told 24hrs before Robbie Keane's move back to Spurs was announced that if it didn't happen we would be making an offer for him in the last window. That came from a source within the club through a mate of mine who is a board member on the supporters Trust.

If one of the above mentioned really wanted him they would of went and got him! Like the way every other top team who wants a player always,eventually gets there man!

cristiano-ronaldo-real-madrid.jpg

C_3_Media_661313_immagine_det.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I like his efforts on the field but as a person I really don't like him. He has held Reading to ransom every transfer window, gets a new contract and then throws a fit when the club doesn't accept an offer in the next window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No......I estly dont think so. Great lad with great attitude and better on the ball than hunt, but that isnt enough in the premiership, dosent hit the net often enough and I think a top player would of scored the late chance that we had with his heder.....

Cristiano Ronaldo missed a very similar one against Liverpool. Should he be in the championship too?

Stekelly wrote: »
    Cristiano Ronaldo missed a very similar one against Liverpool. Should he be in the championship too?

Well that would be a rariety! Considering how well he has played previously and the amount of goals he has scored for his club and country and the trophies his team and himself has won.

When Doyle is playing for the EPL Champions and CL winners and bangs in 40 odd goals in one season and misses a header like that, maybe I wil be a lot more forgiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Captain Caveman got found out last night. For all his moaning when he doesn't make the starting team (which is no bad thing, it's good to see players that want to play) he just proved that he's an impact sub. He was good for the first ten minutes, contributing to the goal but then nothing.
    Deserves a lace in the team but just as a run amok player in the last 10-15 mins. "Captain CAAAAAAAVEMAAAAAAAAANNNN!!!!"

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    cristiano-ronaldo-real-madrid.jpg

C_3_Media_661313_immagine_det.jpg

Ha Ha Good point, but all I will say on that is that, that is one top club trying to buy another top clubs best player!

Its not a top club trying to buy a lesser clubs player, like doyle!!

Ha Ha Good point, but all I will say on that is that, that is one top club trying to buy another top clubs best player!

Its not a top club trying to buy a lesser clubs player, like doyle!!

barryfortim2516x446.jpgGarethBarry240708_450x300.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well that would be a rariety! Considering how well he has played previously and the amount of goals he has scored for his club and country and the trophies his team and himself has won.

When Doyle is playing for the EPL Champions and CL winners and bangs in 40 odd goals in one season and misses a header like that, maybe I wil be a lot more forgiving.

So what your saying is that using one missed header to decide someone isnt good enough is stupid.......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There are far too many stupid comments in this thread to know what to reply to.

Hunt is a bloody good player who is well suited to the Premiership. As for Doyle, well, he's proven himself already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Xavi6 wrote: »

Hunt is a bloody good player who is well suited to the Premiership. As for Doyle, well, he's proven himself already.
    I haven't gone through the thread myself but Hunt is most definitely a limited player. Proving yourself in the Premiership counts for nothing imo. Outside the top 5/6 teams the technical ability of the players is awful. The general style of play in the Premiership hides this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I haven't gone through the thread myself but Hunt is most definitely a limited player. Proving yourself in the Premiership counts for nothing imo. Outside the top 5/6 teams the technical ability of the players is awful. The general style of play in the Premiership hides this.

No arguments there. He's not gonna win headers or the like but for an out and out winger he has all the attributes needed to play at the top level.

To say he's crap or the like is complete rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If you really think that about Kevin Doyle
    then you haven't a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

No arguments there. He's not gonna win headers or the like but for an out and out winger he has all the attributes needed to play at the top level.

To say he's crap or the like is complete rubbish.
    To play at the top level (at least as a winger) you need to have good technical ability, which Hunt doesn't have. He doesn't have much awareness either of what to do. He can't dribble- simply puts his head down and runs, usually straight into the full back. The only thing he can do pretty well is crossing the ball. All his weaknesses are covered up by English football and constantly get exposed when he plays for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Plus 1 on the above

Hunt is the not the most technical of players and probably will never be, but what he gives you is pure heart and his desire to win. He did not have the best game last night but than can be said for alot of team. As for doyle that chap has been our saving grace now for quite a while, he won nearly 95% of the balls that were played up to him, held up the ball and got plenty of flick ons.

Id be more worried our about captain than anything another really poor performance last night. Had one good chance but did not even have the balls or the heart to chase after the rebound instead he puts his hands in the air as usual. For a senior player he should have a really good look at himself, maybe its the pressure of been captain maybe its the pressure of playing for ireland !!! Dont get me wrong I am a fan of keane some of the stuff he does week in week out with spurs is great but over the last few years he has been pretty poor when he pulls on the green shirt.

Arguments like this over Kilbane were all the rage a few years ago. Eventually people realized that when you are bereft of quality options, honesty of effort and directness is more than acceptable. It's not as if by starting Hunt last night we left Messi on the bench now, is it?

noodler wrote: »
    If you really think that about Kevin Doyle
    then you haven't a clue.

And why is that then?

i bought in to the myth that hunt is a hardworking honest player but now i just think he likes to run around looking like he's doing something useful when in fact he continually wastes possession and actually didn't put in much tackles as he should have last night to be honest. he actually reminds me of that guy in the knorr quick soup ad. "No one does busy like i do!".
    The highly embarrassing behaviour of him in the recent transfer window has changed my mind about him. Reading gave him a chance when the premier league was a million miles away from him at Brentford. He couldn't even get a game the season they came up as Bobby Convey was preferred to him but now he's too good for the club. Only Roy Keane at Sunderland who was notorious for signing overrated flops showed any interest in him previously but according to Stephen himself, Wigan and Everton were hot on his trail during january. I'm sure Arteta, Tim Cahill or Antonio Valencia would have been quaking in their boots HAD THAT ACTUALLY BEEN TRUE.

• Advertisement
Advertisement