Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Hunt

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not too shabby tonight huh? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Not too shabby tonight huh? ;)

LL I hope your being sarcastic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

His terrier like instincts were ideal against pizza eaters. You'd want him in your corner in a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

How many times did he dive tonight?

I know it worked in our favour sometimes when he went down easy, rather than dive,

but it was terrible to watch for me.

I can't fault his effort, and he done really well near the end winning the ball back a few times. The shot was sweet and he would be a hero if it went in,

But i still feel we have better options available to us,obviously not tonight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I can't feel sorry for any team that dives against the Italians. Maybe you missed when De Rossi went down holding his face after a shoulder nudge from an Irish player?

Headshot wrote: »
    LL I hope your being sarcastic?

Did you watch the game? He was super tonight. Battled the whole time, and was real positive when he got the ball. Switched the jets on and ran at them, beating players and winning frees in dangerous areas on multiple occasions. Great dipping effort on goal from 20 yards out in the first half aswell. Brilliant performance.

Did you watch the game? He was super tonight. Battled the whole time, and was real positive when he got the ball. Switched the jets on and ran at them, beating players and winning frees in dangerous areas on multiple occasions. Great dipping effort on goal from 20 yards out in the first half aswell. Brilliant performance.

No way was it a brilliant performance

better than bulgaria for sure

but all i saw tonight was diving,majority of the time couldnt cross the ball and going into the centre too much for my liking

he's a bloody winger,if he stayed out on the wings Ireland could have gotten more than a pt from the game imo

also kept the head down too much

Headshot wrote: »
    No way was it a brilliant performance

better than bulgaria for sure

but all i saw tonight was diving,majority of the time couldnt cross the ball and going into the centre too much for my liking

he's a bloody winger,if he stayed out on the wings Ireland could have gotten more than a pt from the game imo

also kept the head down to much imo

Meh, we must have watched different games. :confused:

Agree to disagree I guess.

Meh, we must have watched different games. :confused:

Agree to disagree I guess.

lets
    Im right;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Yes, he does dive a lot but there was a hell of a lot more culprits on the Italian team, cheating [EMAIL="tw@ts"]tw@ts[/EMAIL] infuriated the hell out of me for the entire match. Mildly amusing at the amount of Italians protesting whenever Stephen won a free-kick, the hypocritical [EMAIL="b@stards"]b@stards[/EMAIL] can give it but they can't take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

How was he ever rated a 4m player. Total dross.

Should have kept Doyle on. Was doing more than Robbie Keane was up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I can't see how you could find fault with Hunt's performance tonight - he was excellent.

What are people looking for like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Lol @ anybody complaining about Hunt's diving, did ye even watch the Italians? The commentators will call it clever and experienced, I call it cheating. The Italians are a dirty dirty shower, that goes for a lot of their defensive tactics also, I said it when Chelsea played Juve and I'm even more convinced now.

Back on topic, Hunt was brilliant tonight IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Yes, he does dive a lot but there was a hell of a lot more culprits on the Italian team, cheating [EMAIL="tw@ts"]tw@ts[/EMAIL] infuriated the hell out of me for the entire match. Mildly amusing at the amount of Italians protesting whenever Stephen won a free-kick, the hypocritical [EMAIL="b@stards"]b@stards[/EMAIL] can give it but they can't take it.

To be honest no one on that pitch came close to Hunt tonight in terms of diving. I don't know how he kept getting away with it! Also, you can hardly expect the Italians not to protest when Hunt dives and wins a free kick, even if they are doing it too. Were you expecting them to give him a little pat on the head and say "Nice one Stephen you cheeky little rascal"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Hunt was class last night, sure look at the boards man of the match poll:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055525056&page=50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

carlop wrote: »
    To be honest no one on that pitch came close to Hunt tonight in terms of diving. I don't know how he kept getting away with it! Also, you can hardly expect the Italians not to protest when Hunt dives and wins a free kick, even if they are doing it too. Were you expecting them to give him a little pat on the head and say "Nice one Stephen you cheeky little rascal"?

Yes, one would expect them to protest, but I mean, it's the way they did it - as in it was the excessive gesticulating and arguing with the ref, there was even one or two booked for dissent. Some national teams are criminal for trying to cheat, but the Italians just take it to a whole different level. They're experienced cheaters, several times when one of our lads jumped up to try and win a header, they gave them a little subtle nudge on the back. Even the commentary pointed this out circa the 80th minute when Kilbane tried to win a header, he gave the usual wry smile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I have to say Hunt impressed me with his attitude last night. Everytime he got the ball he got straight at the wing back.

He beat players all night and won loads of free kicks.

BUT i do think he is a very limited player. I think everyone will agree that he is a great sub to come on because he can give the whole team a lift.

I thought he did ok last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Hunt was quality last night and in general is a solid player.Lol at the posters putting him down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Hunt was very good last night. You know nothing about football if you deny that he contributed emmensely last night. Great worker and one a good few frees and corners.

The forwards really need to be more clinical in their finishing and our set pieces (corners especially) have to be better. Get our centre backs up and make ourselves a threat.

Good performance from Caleb Folan. Didn't give the ball away and set up the goal, nearly set up the winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Gas man too, remember he got a smack of the ball in the first half....this is what he said on the matter:

That said, Hunt may not be the best judge of Ireland's performance, or at least the earlier part of it, because he later admitted he did not remember much of it.

The Reading winger took a first-minute Andrea Pirlo free-kick full in the face and was still feeling the effects at the break.

Hunt said: 'I didn't remember the first half - I didn't even know they had scored.

'I got concussed in the first minute and I didn't know where I was until half-time.

'I was hit in the head from a Pirlo free-kick and I didn't even remember them scoring.

'I can't remember much of the game, to be honest with you. I know Robbie scored, obviously, and that was pleasing.'
    :D

Source: RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Hunty is a grand oul player, absolutely no class or flair about him and he aint gonna give you any Messi style football, but he always gets involved, wins freekicks and throws where they shouldn't be, and generally gets himself about there and is a positive influence on a game. Better player for the Irish team than McGeady imo, even if he doesn't have the same technical abilities. We're a team with limited talent and if we'd a few more players like Hunt, Dunne and O'Shea we'd be doing a hell of alot better. Obviously we'll need our Ireland and Keane's too. But where theres absolute deadwood like McShane, Whelan and Andrews playing for Ireland, I think we're doing ok with Hunt.

To be fair i thought hunt was excellent but in fairness there is alot of aspects of his game to be worked on. for instance he can trap as far as i can shoot. he rarely, if ever looks up.He is still a chicken without a head in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Hunt did a great job last night, plenty of energy and heart, and while hes defo not the most gifted of players, thats what you really want from a guy in a green jersey piling on the pressure on the world champions in their own back yard.

I do wish though that Liam Brady or someone would pull him aside and have a word in his ear about how easily he goes to ground, no need for that, it made me cringe a few times last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

works his ass off, if more players had his committed attitude football would be a better game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Honesty of effort its all about honesty of effort. Ask John.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

I was listening to Newstalk in the car today and he was co commentating and I was wondering where he was plying his Frodo Baggins style wing play these days, and it seems he is a free agent.
    Anyone got more insight on him.
    As mental as he is , surely a half decent championship side would pick him up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I was listening to Newstalk in the car today and he was co commentating and I was wondering where he was plying his Frodo Baggins style wing play these days, and it seems he is a free agent.
    Anyone got more insight on him.
    As mental as he is , surely a half decent championship side would pick him up?

He's on trial at Millwall. He's already had trials at Blackpool and Reading. McCarthy wanted him to join Ipswich but he's on too high of a wage for them. During the summer he trained with Wexford Youths and played a bit of hurling. In September after a deal to Blackpool fell through he's trained with Ipswich. There have been numerous clubs after him but his wages are a bit large for a championship team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Red Crow wrote: »
    He's on trial at Millwall. He's already had trials at Blackpool and Reading. McCarthy wanted him to join Ipswich but he's on too high of a wage for them. During the summer he trained with Wexford Youths and played a bit of hurling. In September after a deal to Blackpool fell through he's trained with Ipswich. There have been numerous clubs after him but his wages are a bit large for a championship team.

He will surely have to settle for something below his previous bar soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Red Crow wrote: »

Correction, hes looking for too high a wage, hes on no wage.

The longer hes a free agent the more he'll have to lower his expectations. Though he did allude to not rushing because he'll wait for a club to have a few injuries that will need a signing outside the transfer window so putting him in a stronger position. Think he said he still fancies himself in the PL and that one or two clubs were interested.

Correction, hes looking for too high a wage, hes on no wage.

That's what I meant...

He will surely have to settle for something below his previous bar soon enough.

He was on £35,000 a week at Wolves including last year. That's above the average PL wages. He'll have to take a huge cut. Average Championship player would be on £4-5k per week. For a guy with his injury record he'll be lucky to be on much more than £6/7k per week.

FWIW I know think he was looking around £10k a week and Blackpool were offering half of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Surely at his age he's be better off accepting an offer of 4-5k a week than sitting around scratching his hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

wonga77 wrote: »
    Surely at his age he's be better off accepting an offer of 4-5k a week than sitting around scratching his hole

That's the most Irish sounding post on the internet ever. Slightly off topic but there was talk of Kevin Doyle heading to Hull or Celtic but would have to take a 50% pay cut from a reported 40k a week. Probably a bigger cut for Celtic.

He's taking his time signing though it is October- if he signed today when would he be match fit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Why does he hate Mourinho? He said in commentary yesterday that he doesn't want Mourinho to win the league "for obvious reasons".

Is it to do with the time he mauled Cech?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Why does he hate Mourinho? He said in commentary yesterday that he doesn't want Mourinho to win the league "for obvious reasons".

Is it to do with the time he mauled Cech?

Yea, Mourinho wanted a public hanging for him afterwords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Hunt was on the beer in Galway while clubs in England were going through pre season training. Don't think he's too bothered about finding a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

He's just bought a Pub in Rosslare Strand too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I can't stand the chap. No talent. Awful player. Can't see the likes of Blackpool signing him. Wolves in League 1 is about his level. He's like an Irish Jimmy Bullard, seems to think he's a "cheeky chappy" that everyone likes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Hunt is another player who to my knowledge didn't get a post Euro 2012 call up. Did Trap no longer rate him or did he refuse to play for him a la Gibson?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

Think he was no longer rated. At his best he was great as an impact sub, but he had a poor run of games in the lead up to the euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bit mad really. This time two years ago he was a Premier League regular for Wolves. One year later, he's playing under 21 football and the next year he can't even get a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

He's had a tough time with injuries the last couple of years from what I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Hunt always struck me as an extremely direct player, and a bit predictable with a decent-at-best delivery.

If someone wasn't really prepared for it, they'd be in trouble when he ran at them, but a decent defender who knew his tricks could contain him easily enough. Quite similar to McLean that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement