Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggies/vegans: Do you feed meat to your dog/cat?

Options
  • 28-03-2009 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Out of curiosity, what do you feed your dog/cat, if you don't eat meat yourself?
    Do you think it is hypocritical to be veggie/vegan because you don't agree with the meat industry, but yet still fund it by purchasing dog/cat food?
    Or do you believe that, while you have made dietery choices for yourself, you feel it is unfair to impose them on your pet?

I am aiming this question more at dog owners, since dogs do far better on a meat-free diet than cats, who are widely considered to be obligate carnivores (although some companies sell vegan cat food and claim it is a complete food for the cat).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

I think that it could be consider as cruelty to animals if you do not give them meat but the meat should be raw. Read the following to see why (if you do not already know)
    Raw meat is the natural food for cats and dogs.

http://www.ppnf.org/catalog/ppnf/Articles/PottsCats.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭emollett

As you said, it isn't for me to impose my choices on my cats. Plus whilst i don't feel i need meat in my diet, i can't say the same for the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

I wouldn't feed meat to a pet.

If you're a veggie but you feel it would be cruel to force that diet on a carnivore, then don't get a pet.

In my opinion, of course. I ain't judgin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

my pets eat meat (2 cats and a dog) I think they need it. Even if they could get by healthily on vegan food, it's not up to me to mess with their nature like that.

My shopping basket looks funny though, loads of TVP products and a bag of pigs ears :D

Advertisement