Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNSAFE Gas installation Advice needed

Options
  • 28-03-2009 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Background:

Needed an entire new heating and plumbing system. Paid extra for safety with RGI company. They installed Gas boiler for rads and water and a Backboiler for a solid fuel fire to do the same. It has been installed since before christmas but has never worked. They have come out a few times, it works the day they are there and then stops. The last time they were to call out they never showed so I called another plumber for a second opinion. He assessed the set up and said he could not see how both systems could work together.
    The gas boiler had no safety valve overflow so if it leaked it would spill out the bottom of the boiler. Both systems are linked and he reckons they should be seperate. The is no pressure in the water feed to the gas boiler and that is why the gas boiler won't start up as it needs a minimum of 0.2. And lotas of other stuff I don't really understand. Can anyone advice me what to do? I think someone should reassess the quality of the first companys work as it appears to be completely unsafe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You will get better answers in construction i think. A mod could move it for you. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=876

Sadly RGI dont seem to be as good as they are meant to be. The other plumber seems to be right. You should have this fixed without your expense. It would also be good to notify the CER to try get this company checked out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Technically they don't need to be separate, although you need to be very smart about how they're set up:

The back boiler and the gas boiler should piped in series I'd say, and the gas boiler should be the secondary heat call. There were a lot of solid fuel/oil combinations installed like that in the 1980's and early 1990's. The water pressure feed to the gas boiler should be raised by the circulation pump - and if the system is a sealed one then the fill valve needs to have sufficient pressure to charge the system first.

Advertisement