Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cricket Injuries

• 28-03-2009 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

For a sport that is basically throwing and catching howcome im forever hearing so and so is out injured........sorry if im showing my igorance!

What are the most commen Cricket related injuries?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,182 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm guessing the most commonly injured players would be fast bowlers.

If you take a look at the action they go through when they bowl in slow motion, you can easily see how it's not good for your body. A lot of stress gets put on certain areas of the body, and repeating the same action over and over again adds up, and injuries happen.

Then obviously if you're a batter there's always the chance you can get hit by the ball which is often coming at you at 80mph+. They were a lot of protective gear but it's still easy to break a finger if the ball hits you there.

Fielding injuries can be picked up like injuries in any other sport that generally just involves running around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

bowling-a lot of stress on shoulders, back and knees also ankles

batting-impact injuries especially broken fingers, any injuries picked up from running hamstring etc

fielding-normal injuries associated with running, injuries resulting from slides/dives for the ball. finger injuries from mistiming catches (one of my teammate has severely damaged tendons in his fingers doing this twice). tennis elbow is also common from throwing the ball in.

most common injuries are probably hamstring/ankle injuries. most head injuries i've come across have happened in training nets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭legend73

Back related injuries are the most common in cricket.
    DOMS is the second most, usually because we are all old farts. DOMS is delayed onset muscle soreness. ;)

www.pitchvision.com has some good articles about cricket related injuries and also excercises to help prevent them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i broke my thumb paling silly mid on trying to catch a ball. fielding can be dangerous too!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

i dislocated a teammates finger hitting slip catches he misjudged it and it caught him right on the tip, happened again the next season he was keeping and misjudged a throw in from me different fingertip. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭legend73

Worst injury i've seen was last year against CYM.

Our big Saffa opener cracked a ball in the face of a cover fielder, thats right about 15 metres off the bat - he didnt see it coming it was hit so hard. He was a young lad 15 or so, I think that's how many teeth he had left after that also. Blood everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Knee and ankle injuries to fast bowlers.

Ankle to spin bowlers with high knees in their action.
    Elbow Injuries to big hitters....

Advertisement