Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appropriate opening bid

Options
  • 28-03-2009 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

Just saw a house that I really like. It's really, really old and every inch of the house will have to be renovated. What percentage of the asking price is appropriate for underbidding?

Is it outrageous to bid 25% less than the asking price?

Need advice...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Try,

leave about 3 weeks in between bids and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

there was some good advice i seen on the pin recently.

work out how much the house is worth to you.

give the figure to the EA and tell them not to contact you unless it's to accept the offer and leave it stew.

prevents all the phantom bidder nonsense and saves you, the EA and the owner wasting any time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

ntlbell wrote: »
    there was some good advice i seen on the pin recently.

work out how much the house is worth to you.

give the figure to the EA and tell them not to contact you unless it's to accept the offer and leave it stew.

prevents all the phantom bidder nonsense and saves you, the EA and the owner wasting any time

good advice, I would however say don't give the EA the price you are willing to pay, as this leaves you no room to negotiate. Give at least 10% less or even more, especially if the house is on the market long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Prices are still over valued in a lot of cases.

Go 40%. Worst they can say is no and then ask them for a counter offer.

You as the buyer have all the cards. Use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

tell them not to contact you unless it's to accept the offer and leave it stew.

From previous experience, try telling the missus that they wont be phoning to tell you even if they don't accept, i'd have to tie her down to stop her phoning them.:D

But it is excellent advice, anything that lets the EA know your serious and not willing to listen to their BS, plus its too easy to increase an offer by 5-10k when your talking 000's of thousands. Pick a price and stick with it, no negotiations needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Is it outrageous to bid 25% less than the asking price?
    Not at all. At the moment it's normal if not a little generous in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Not at all. At the moment it's normal if not a little generous in some cases.

+1

I'd also say feel free to go a lot higher 25% off if the asking price looks inflated in comparison with similar properties in the area.

Some jokers are factoring 10-20% into their asking price now to try to engineer getting the price they want. Just say no...

mdebets wrote: »
    good advice, I would however say don't give the EA the price you are willing to pay, as this leaves you no room to negotiate. Give at least 10% less or even more, especially if the house is on the market long enough.

It's designed so there is no room to negotiate part of the beauty no? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Agent J wrote: »
    Prices are still over valued in a lot of cases.

Go 40%. Worst they can say is no and then ask them for a counter offer.

You as the buyer have all the cards. Use them.

The worst they can do is say get lost and refuse to talk to you. This does happen even in bad time. I think if you really think the value is that much over priced by all means go ahead.

Work out the price you think it is worth based on rental prices in the area other properties on the market etc... You should be able to actually find out prices that actually were sold at. Research is the key as opposed to random percentage values.

There is house on my road that is way over priced when compared to the immediate area and will have to come down 40% at least to sell but there is another around the corner that is a better house and probably only has to come down 20%. Your best plan is to observe the market in a specific area and get a house that has been on the market a while. They are more likely to come down quicker on the price if they don't you know why it has been on the market so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sbudnikblues

Thanks for all the advice lads. Will put in a bid tomorrow and see what happens. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Senna wrote: »
    From previous experience, try telling the missus that they wont be phoning to tell you even if they don't accept, i'd have to tie her down to stop her phoning them.:D

ye can't legislate for an over anxious missus :D

Let us know how you get on. realisitcally you might manage 7-10 percent.

jetski wrote: »

based on?

common sence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

common sence
    A reduction of 7-10% might make common sense against a common sense asking price. Now all we need to do is find some common sense asking prices out there. It's a buyers market...

common sence

Oh, no actual facts just phrases.

When did common sense dictate anything to do with property

surely it's the complete lack of it that has us in the situation we're in now?

Jetski, you're completely contradicting yourself.

In your other posts (post purchase :D) you've been advising people that there's great value to be had in the current market. Your point I believe was that as its a buyers market, there are big discounts to be had off asking prices at the moment.

Yet here, you're telling the OP that he "might" get 7-10%. Whoopyfúckindoo. Where's the "value in that?

OP, start very low with your bid. Expect the EA to look appalled. If he doesn't you've offered way too much.

Remember that buyers are like golddust at the moment, so even if your bid is too low for them, to them you're a potential buyer with an expression of interest and more than likely they will come back to you to try to negotiate.

Once you've started low, how much you're willing to move depends on how much you want to buy right now, and where you think the market is headed.

I know where I think the market is headed, and personally I believe bids seen as "cheeky" today will be the seen as normal in 9-12 mths time.

your assuming prices will keep going down andyes thats 10% on top of the maybe 30% thats already come off... so your not far off a half price house over peak prices.... and try gets your facts right, i said their is good value if you look long and hard.

your assuming prices will keep going down andyes thats 10% on top of the maybe 30% thats already come off... so your not far off a half price house over peak prices.... and try gets your facts right, i said their is good value if you look long and hard.

Funny you should mention facts, since you didn't ask for any from the OP about the property before trying to set his expectation at < 10% off asking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Just as a matter of interest how many people who have already offered advise here have:
    a: Bought a house ever
    b: Bought a house in the past 18 months

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest how many people who have already offered advise here have:
    a: Bought a house ever
    b: Bought a house in the past 18 months

Why is it relevant?

Why is it relevant?

Sometimes it good to take advice from someone who has been in a similiar position recently to see how they got on.
    Its also useful to have an idea in general or buying a house when giving this type of advice (showing you know the factors that need to be taken into account)

Just things I feel the OP should be aware of.
    Kippy

Sometimes it good to take advice from someone who has been in a similiar position recently to see how they got on.
    Its also useful to have an idea in general or buying a house when giving this type of advice (showing you know the factors that need to be taken into account)

Just things I feel the OP should be aware of.
    Kippy

Why does one have to buy a house to know the facts tho?

Do you only learn the facts AFTER you buy the house? that's a bit backwards no?

Do you ask people to declare there exp in other fora?

like computers and technology?

Personal issues?

etc?

Why does one have to buy a house to know the facts tho?

Do you only learn the facts AFTER you buy the house? that's a bit backwards no?

Do you ask people to declare there exp in other fora?

like computers and technology?

Personal issues?

etc?
    It helps to have SOME practical experience in the field before you go advising someone.
    + No one here really knows enough (and hasnt asked) about either the house or the OP's situation to advise him properly on what he should be doing.
    People talk about offering this and that and the theory behind it, which a lot of the time is a long way away from the practicalities.

Id ask someone to declare their experience if I thought the opinions offered were a bit off the mark of that the OP may be getting information which may not help him as much as he is led to believe.
    This time however I am interested to see how many people here have actually been in both situations which I asked for information on.

It helps to have SOME practical experience in the field before you go advising someone.
    + No one here really knows enough (and hasnt asked) about either the house or the OP's situation to advise him properly on what he should be doing.
    People talk about offering this and that and the theory behind it, which a lot of the time is a long way away from the practicalities.

Id ask someone to declare their experience if I thought the opinions offered were a bit off the mark of that the OP may be getting information which may not help him as much as he is led to believe.

Can you point out some opinions that were off the mark and maybe people can clear them up for you?

Can you point out some opinions that were off the mark and maybe people can clear them up for you?
    Sorry, I edited the post just after that......
    Nothing too off the mark, great theory being posted.
    Kippy

As I have stated on many threads like this

there's no real point asking us what a house is worth or what to bid

we don't know anything about not only the house but the siutation of the owners, are they working? when did they buy? where they left the house 3 years ago by a diying relative? did they buy it 30 years ago?

there is so many things that can completely change the situation

so if people want to ask a random question that has no real answer then surely they just expecting opinion right? based on what they put before us?

that's what they're getting.

I'm a house owner didn't buy in the last 18 months am I allowed to continue to post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭cls

we don't know anything about not only the house but the siutation of the owners, are they working? when did they buy? where they left the house 3 years ago by a diying relative? did they buy it 30 years ago?

so if people want to ask a random question that has no real answer then surely they just expecting opinion right? based on what they put before us?

I'm a house owner didn't buy in the last 18 months am I allowed to continue to post?
    I thought anyone who buys now is an idiot or words to that effect? Period.

cls wrote: »
    I thought anyone who buys now is an idiot or words to that effect? Period.

I don't recall saying that, can you quote me?

And if I did, how does my above post go against that?

• Advertisement

First of all, I didnt say anywhere that people who didnt have houses couldnt post advice. Apologies if it came across that way.
    It is POINTLESS giving advice or for that matter asking for it, without the most relevant facts being given or asked for.
    Its akin to going onto the computers and tech forum and asking "My Internet Is Gone, any idea how I can fix it".
    First of all, you need someone to come along who knows what they are doing to reply to that question, the first thing they would say is that they had NOWHERE near enough information to give some advice. Then you could have someone come along who doesnt really know that much about IT, but has read in a magazine that the best thing to do when your internet is down is to call your Broadband provider.
    Obviously not a direct comparison but, someone posting a single question on a forum is not exempt from being asked for more information in order for another person to make a better qualified piece of advice, whether they are experts in that field or not.

It really was just out of interest I was asking those two questions, nothing more sinister.

Kippy

Advertisement