Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers (charity muggers)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 teflteacher

thoughts on the above??
    very intimidating and rude. don't think they're legit. why won't the gardai do something about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

thoughts on the above??
    very intimidating and rude. don't think they're legit. why won't the gardai do something about them?

Are those the two who have their tables facing each other making it impossible for anyone to avoid being roared at? As far as I know they are legit - often seen outside Roches or Eglinton St - but they are a right pain in the arrse. Any of those street tickets are a farce. Girl I know sold them in Galway bout a year and a half ago. Each 3Euro collected per ticket was divided 3 ways: 1E to the seller, 1E to his/her boss and 1E to charity. A right con if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I have no proof but ive been told from different sources that those guys pay the charity/s annually (something like 5k) and the money they make goes into their pocket. Anyone else hear this? They must be making something from it since they are at nearly everyday.
    A lot of modern charity ploys seem really scummy imo, although its easily debatable.

The guys with clipboards...... I dont think i need to say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I love how the shopping-centre crowd have signs that name one charity, and vests etc that name another.

A friend was down at Mill Street to get his electoral registration witnessed.

There was a lad in there asking about getting a charity collection licence. The guard asked him what the charity was, he thought for a minute and then came up with "It's called 'help the disabled' ".

Apparently it was quite amusing to watch the conversation, though you gotta feel sorry for the guard who had to be courteous and polite all through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

Anyone know anything about "Sr Rita's Comfort Fund"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

i just ignore them. life's too short to bother with these people every time you leave your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

JustMary wrote: »
    I love how the shopping-centre crowd have signs that name one charity, and vests etc that name another.

Agree with you completely Mary. I spent some time in Germany. Walking down the streets in Hanover you would see the Charity collectors etc. sitting behind small little kiosks (perhaps 5' x 2' with an overhead banner naming the charity) to the side of the street or shopping center or wherever. There was always one/a couple/a few people at each who appeared to randomly stroll over to buy a ticket or whatever and give a couple quid. It is such an intelligent way to collect for charities. No confrontation or attempted guilt trips thrown.

People will always support something close to them but the methods used over here are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Agree with you completely Mary. I spent some time in Germany. Walking down the streets in Hanover you would see the Charity collectors etc. sitting behind small little kiosks (perhaps 5' x 2' with an overhead banner naming the charity) to the side of the street or shopping center or wherever. There was always one/a couple/a few people at each who appeared to randomly stroll over to buy a ticket or whatever and give a couple quid. It is such an intelligent way to collect for charities. No confrontation or attempted guilt trips thrown.

People will always support something close to them but the methods used over here are ridiculous.

+1 it really is annoying with them camped outside the door of shopping centers so you almost have to squeeze around them...oh, and outside HMV, where they actually have tables on opposite sides

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I threw the RNLI a few quid today as I reckon I might need them at some point in my life. Not usually a huge fan of chuggers but they're not that bad in fairness. People with coin buckets or people selling scratchcards aren't classed as chuggers, surely that title is reserved for the crowd with the clipboards who try to phish your bank account details outta you.

Anyway surely the "hi lads late bar in 903/coyotes/halo/cuba/gpo tonight" crowd are far more annoying and in-yer-face than any charity collectors. And the cause they represent comes nowhere near to being decent, noble or useful. No, I don't want a goddamned stamp so I can get 2 euros off the usual 14 euro price for the privilege of getting into your sh*tty overpriced sweatbox full of tramps who can't walk in a straight line and horny students with bad haircuts. Ahh, I've been meaning to get that off my chest for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

cornbb wrote: »
    No, I don't want a goddamned stamp so I can get 2 euros off the usual 14 euro price for the privilege of getting into your sh*tty overpriced sweatbox full of tramps who can't walk in a straight line and horny students with bad haircuts. Ahh, I've been meaning to get that off my chest for a while.

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Took this picture in Galway on Saturday.

Caption: Beggars can't be choosers!

DSCF1296.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Xiney wrote: »
    Just be happy you haven't got squeegee kids.

11587-4047.jpg

Kids dressed like punks who make money by washing your windshield while you're stopped at a red light then demanding payment. Most of the time, your windshield is dirtier than when it started.

there is good money in window washing

Tax Free money

cornbb wrote: »
    Anyway surely the "hi lads late bar in 903/coyotes/halo/cuba/gpo tonight" crowd are far more annoying and in-yer-face than any charity collectors.

If you're in their demographic, I suspect they're pretty bad. Walking past them is the one time I'm glad to be older. That said, on quiet Monday evenings in winter-time, even I get offered a stamp - actually asked them one night if it was senior-citizens night. Don't think they understood what I meant though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Those lads on shop street really annoy me when they intercept you can offer a smiling handshake to pull you in. Make you feel v ignorant then for walking away (as they make a snide comment usually). But remember these guys that try to guilt your bank details from you are earning big money!! As you can see from this job listing, they're paid €700+ per week: http://jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=945296 :mad:

They'll have commissions and bonuses if they hit targets too.

A walk up to the shop in the evening is now also a torture with the nightclub crowd all trying to tag you at every junction. Cuba is the worst - they come shouting a whole big spiel in your face "Free into Bar 903 tonight, late bar until 2, two floors open in cuba, dj stevie g, double shots and redbull only €5"... blah blah. Leave me in peace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

There is Rnl collectors around galway @ min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 HowAreYeGettinO

The two boys were worse than ever outside HMV on Saturday. 'Ex-CUSE me ladies, would you like to help...' (with maximum drama, volume, head-down-eyeballing-people etc.)

I heard somewhere that they're on one-third of the takings. Can anyone confirm that?

They were unbelievably ignorant the last day.

I've heard rumours that the amount the charity has to get is even lower - around 17% or such. Maybe some clever law or accountancy student will know exactly which law covers this, and look it up for us ... (hint ....)

What really gets me is the "charity" they're collecting for: half the time, they have a sign for one, fluro vests for another, and verbally just say "mutter, mumble, wheelchairs, mumble" ... very much doubt they know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ceepeedee

3fullback wrote: »
    stop being so cranky throw them a bit change its always going to a good cause.. You'll fell better with yourself and less cranky ... Ps. If you can afford to drive a car towards a roundabout then you can afforad to throw them a €1 ..... ya pup

Er... and which good cause is this 1 euro always going to, based on the OP's post?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I heard somewhere that they're on one-third of the takings. Can anyone confirm that?

Well I can definitely confirm that they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

A friend of mine used to be a chugger... He was making silly money with them... He told me quite a few stories, but I'm not a liberty to repeat them.

All in all, extremely lucrative job... whether you actually sign people up or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

if theres something charitable worth doing, its something you can physically do yourself...

moneys too tight all round to be stolen by loudmouth gob****es with luminous vest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

was hijack.d by them on saturday at headford roundabout.going up to car window when lights were green,.then it was my turn to move he came up to me with his wind down window expression.wouldnt do it cos i give to charity from my bank account every month by direct debit. do they have to get permission from the guards i wonder.

Don't know: but I saw a garda car drive past those guys on the Headford Rd on Saturday and do nothing about 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Javajunkie

Do as I do: Save the loose change for the hungry looking busker. Granted, quite a lot of the time the situatuion is reversed and I'm the one out busking, but it still feels good to tip the troubador :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement