Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Booing your team

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I wouldn't have booed personally but I do not begrudge anyone who did. If I paid €70 to watch that tosh I'd be pissed off.

If fans keep their mouths shut and applaud a team that isn't doing its utmost (on or off the field) then how are the top brass to know what the people really think?

Reminds me of when politicians these days urge people not to get upset at the economy and try and get behind one another.

'Come on we need your support not criticism' etc.

Well no I disagree with that mentality because we are partly in the economic mess we are in due to the incompetence of politicians so people have a right to feel aggrieved at that, and similarly tonight people are entitled to their opinions on the poor Irish effort. If they think that performance was substandard (and I wouldn't disagree) then I have no problem with them expressing that view.

The 'fans' at Croke Park who booed the Irish players off the pitch tonight are of an equal retardation level to Public Sector workers who recently felt / currently feel it would be a good idea to go on strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

keane2097 wrote: »
    I would never advocate booing a player except in the event that they weren't putting forth an appropriate effort. Now I don't, on the other hand, have problems with fans using the forum of a match to express their dissatisfaction with other things. Mike Ashley's control of Newcastle for example, Trappatoni's refusal to pick the best players (the idea of it anyway, whether people think he's doing so or not is irrelevant to the argument) etc.

By the simple act of paying for the ticket and turning up to the match you're displaying your support for the team, your desire for them to do well. I don't believe for a second that anyone spent 70 bucks tonight to go to the game wanting to have to boo.

If, however, at the end of the affair you've seen a piss-poor performance and you feel that a large part of the reason the team has played so badly is down to unacceptable behaviour on the manager's part I feel you'd be entirely justified in booing him to your heart's content.

Please note the distinction here, because people seem to be largely ignoring it - booing players just because your team played badly is not cool. Booing players because they didn't bother their arses, booing the manager because he refuses to pick the best players for personal reasons (or similar) or booing the chairman because he's running the club into the ground is not the same thing, and it's a perfectly valid form of expression imo.

It's not the only reason people boo.

Some people are just retards - it still doesn't invalidate the rest of the arguments, but some people are just retards.

Don't think our players didn't bother their arses tonight.
    Who do you mean by "he refuses to pick the best players for personal reasons"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The 'fans' at Croke Park who booed the Irish players off the pitch tonight are of an equal retardation level to Public Sector workers who recently felt / currently feel it would be a good idea to go on strike.

Pontification - what any good discussion needs.

johnp wrote: »
    Don't think our players didn't bother their arses tonight.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're asking me here. If it's whether I think the players put in the effort tonight, I do. I definitely wouldn't boo any of the players tonight because as long as they give it their all that's all you can ask. Anyone who booed the players tonight is wrong imo, I wouldn't advocate it for players simply playing badly.
    Who do you mean by "he refuses to pick the best players for personal reasons"?

In this case I mean Andy Reid. It's irrelevant to the discussion at least to the points I've been making though because I'm only trying to use it as an example to say I think booing is ok if there's a valid reason, it's not if there's not. Whether there was a valid reason for the booing tonight or not is a whole different kettle of fish.

Pontification - what any good discussion needs.

lol, sorry I don't agree with you. The booing tonight is simply more evidence of the laughable sense of entitlement the citizens of this country have developed over the past decade.

The booing tonight is simply more evidence of the laughable sense of entitlement the citizens of this country have developed over the past decade.

Well couldn't you have said that in your first post rather than just "zomg the booers are retards"? Call me old fashioned, but it just adds more to the discussion when someone makes an actual point...

Well couldn't you have said that in your first post rather than just "zomg the booers are retards"? Call me old fashioned, but it just adds more to the discussion when someone makes an actual point...

I did make a point. By equating the booing tonight with the noise from the Public Sector. The inference should be crystal clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

They're not booing, they're saying 'Boo-urns'! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're asking me here. If it's whether I think the players put in the effort tonight, I do. I definitely wouldn't boo any of the players tonight because as long as they give it their all that's all you can ask. Anyone who booed the players tonight is wrong imo, I wouldn't advocate it for players simply playing badly.
    We were booed tonight, that why I picked up on what you said, but I guess you dont think it was deserved :shakes hands:

In this case I mean Andy Reid. It's irrelevant to the discussion at least to the points I've been making though because I'm only trying to use it as an example to say I think booing is ok if there's a valid reason, it's not if there's not. Whether there was a valid reason for the booing tonight or not is a whole different kettle of fish.

Well, not picking Reid (or anyone) is not a valid reason. First and foremost you have to trust your manager. You have to believe in him, believe he's got the team/countries interest at heart. If not picking the Irish Robinho is in our best interest, you have to believe that.
    He's got 50 odd years experience, how is my/your opinion better or more valid? With all due respect, I think we're out of our league.
    That's not to say that we're not not allowed an opinion. But thats what a forum or phone-in show or newspaper or blog is for.
    For me, the terraces/stands are all about supporting the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Argentina fans take booing to a whole other level. They are winning 4-0 tonight and have been treated to some great football.

Veron is brought on towards the end of the game with about 25 minutes left. They whistled and booed him from his first touch to every subsequent touch he had for the rest of the game. He actually played really well and Maradona applauded him from the sideline trying to get the crowd behind him.

Anyone know what it was all about as the commentators seemed bemused by it all ?

Disgraceful stuff whatever the reason.

Opr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

booing ur own team is retarded. ppl need to look up the term "supporter" in a dictionary before they are allowed in the stands. test them on the way in or something

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

opr wrote: »
    Argentina fans take booing to a whole other level. They are winning 4-0 tonight and have been treated to some great football.

Veron is brought on towards the end of the game with about 25 minutes left. They whistled and booed him from his first touch to every subsequent touch he had for the rest of the game. He actually played really well and Maradona applauded him from the sideline trying to get the crowd behind him.

Anyone know what it was all about as the commentators seemed bemused by it all ?

Disgraceful stuff whatever the reason.

Opr

I think it's because he's an ex Boca player and they were playing at River's home ground.

Well, not picking Reid (or anyone) is not a valid reason. First and foremost you have to trust your manager. You have to believe in him, believe he's got the team/countries interest at heart. If not picking the Irish Robinho is in our best interest, you have to believe that.
    He's got 50 odd years experience, how is my/your opinion better or more valid? With all due respect, I think we're out of our league.
    That's not to say that we're not not allowed an opinion. But thats what a forum or phone-in show or newspaper or blog is for.
    For me, the terraces/stands are all about supporting the team.

Well yeah I more or less agree with you there. The point is there can be reasons which I believe warrant booing, whether this is one of them or not is another matter. I wouldn't be so pretentious as to think I know better than Trappatoni by any means.

In fairness tonight, I'd say that during the game itself, the stands were behind the team - there seemed to be a fairly lively atmosphere for the most part, with the crowd right behind the team. The fact that it changed at the end of the game sort of inclines me to think it was something other than the players' performance itself that was getting the tongue-lashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I think it's because he's an ex Boca player and they were playing at River's home ground.

Didn't Tevez play for Boca too and he didn't get any abuse ?

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd rather have fans who know what's required from the team as opposed to those who stick purely to blind faith and likewise would rather have Public Sector workers who know what is required from this government. Why? Well otherwise you get a retardation level that produces outcomes like this...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0328/poll.html

At the end of the day if your nation is being represented, whether it's by politicians or sportsmen, then you have a right to expect it will be represented in the most professional way possible. If what you get instead is a half-baked effort, then why not complain?

• Advertisement

I'd rather have fans who know what's required from the team as opposed to those who stick purely to blind faith and likewise would rather have Public Sector workers who know what is required from this government. Why? Well otherwise you get a retardation level that produces outcomes like this...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0328/poll.html

At the end of the day if your nation is being represented, whether it's by politicians or sportsmen, then you have a right to expect it will be represented in the most professional way possible. If what you get instead is a half-baked effort, then why not complain?

You seem very confused here. We don't know whether a draw tonight was good enough, yet. We would have preferred a win of course - but we are still in a strong position. As to knowing what changes would have been required tactically to improve the performance, I contend that the average fan wouldn't have a breeze as far as breaking things down on that level is concerned.

And as has been mentioned ad nauseum in this thread already, there was no shortage of effort from the players tonight. Booing won't make McShane and Kilbane better defenders at this stage of their careers, or improve Aiden McGeady's decision making and technical skills. Much as going on strike won't change the reality that Public Sector workers receive levels of remuneration that far exceed the relative value of their production. You dig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

At absolute most, 10% of the stadium boo'd, at most.

Advertisement