Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i bought a magazine today

Options
  • 28-03-2009 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

ok so i bought total guitar today in tesco. it had a price of 4.99 sterling on it, but no euro price. but i figured it would be about the same price. but turns out it was 7.10 euros. what the **** is with that? especially with the exchange rate! 7 quid for a ****in magazine. i hate this bloody country

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Apart from the exchange rate Ireland has VAT of 13.5 on magazines where uk has zero VAT on mags.

So allowing the exchange rate of 1.25 (they use a rounded up average,never use the daily rate for calculations) add on VAT of 13.5 it comes to €7.08 and you paid €7.10

ps I work in the industry and see that the equivalent sterling to euro rate almost level except of course add on your VAT extra at teh end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Mr Tim Buktoo

well fark me. it was actually 7.08!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Did you still pay it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

After much deliberating over this issue numerous times on this forum you have 2 choices:

Ignore the sterling price as you do the US dollar price or only buy Irish mags!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

You should look at the price of imported mags over here. Including air freight (they advertise its an added cost) a magazine like The Edge or Empire costs NZ$28-30.
    Its pretty expensive considering the min wage in NZ is $12.50

There is the option to buy the OZ/NZ version of some of the mags, but oddly enough some of them don't have as much content as their European cousins and are often an issue behind with some of the news and big stories

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 funky.monkey

Reads of Nassau Street used to do discounted magazines, but then they were taken over by Easons :( and the price is the same now as all the other shops.
    I think there is a good business opportunity for a shop anywhere in Dublin who would do discounted magazines. I used to make a special point of getting mags in Reads when they offered the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Never mind Sterling, but I've not seen one French or German publication on sale in Ireland for anywhere near the same Euro price that they are sold for in their respective home countries. This is probably the same for all foreign-language Euro-priced publications.

On the other hand, in other European countries, anyone wishing to buy an English language publication, is also taken to the cleaners. You pay way over the odds for a three day old newspaper.

We're not alone in getting these price differentials - and of course, we don't know what the distribution costs are, so we're in the dark as to who gets what and from whom.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

ok so i bought total guitar today in tesco. it had a price of 4.99 sterling on it, but no euro price. but i figured it would be about the same price. but turns out it was 7.10 euros. what the **** is with that? especially with the exchange rate! 7 quid for a ****in magazine. i hate this bloody country

I think the majority of the country know the mark up on magazines. You had a choice whether to buy the mag or just leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Reads of Nassau Street used to do discounted magazines, but then they were taken over by Easons :( and the price is the same now as all the other shops.
    I think there is a good business opportunity for a shop anywhere in Dublin who would do discounted magazines. I used to make a special point of getting mags in Reads when they offered the discount.

The margin on magazines isn't very high, considering the amount of work involved in selling them. They are also very popular with shoplifters, which reduces the margin even more

It is unlikely that a shop would be able to sell at that much of a discount and stay in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ok so i bought total guitar today in tesco. it had a price of 4.99 sterling on it, but no euro price. but i figured it would be about the same price. but turns out it was 7.10 euros.
    That is shocking, not the price, but the fact that you actually thought it would be about the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

So allowing the exchange rate of 1.25 (they use a rounded up average,never use the daily rate for calculations)

When you say rounded up do you mean made up? When was it last 1.25?

Although I agree with the other posts. They can sell them for what they want. A handier option might be to subscribe but some UK publishers seem to think that Ireland is on the dark side of the moon when it comes to the cost of posting it to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

UK Magazine prices in Ireland are made up as follows.

UK price + 10% distribution charge

Rate of exchange which I believe is currently set at 1.14 until August. (rate set every 6 months)

+ 13.5% VAT.

IMO, a 10% distribution charge for magazines is very reasonable considering th logistics involved - ship from UK, put up on distribution shelves, collate orders, pack orders, ship to stores, organise for unsold mags to be processed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I dont know what planet you have been living on but you really dont have a clue.

A magazine retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

When you say rounded up do you mean made up? When was it last 1.25?

Although I agree with the other posts. They can sell them for what they want. A handier option might be to subscribe but some UK publishers seem to think that Ireland is on the dark side of the moon when it comes to the cost of posting it to us.

The magazine companies cant keep adjusting their prices just because the exchange rate changes daily so they set it at (I think) 3 to 4 month intervals. However they do not set it at the level of the day, they do charge aditional for the cost of been paid euros as an english company. So the last time I personally checked €1.25 was the rate been used includes distribution charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    After much deliberating over this issue numerous times on this forum you have 2 choices:

Ignore the sterling price as you do the US dollar price or only buy Irish mags!

Or if you intend to buy the magazine regularly, subscribe. I buy Wired US frequently. There is a huge differential between USD/GBP and the local price also. Single copy costs over €7 in the shops here, but I get the 12 editions delivered to my door two weeks early for $70, or around €4 each.
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    On the other hand, in other European countries, anyone wishing to buy an English language publication, is also taken to the cleaners. You pay way over the odds for a three day old newspaper.

We're not alone in getting these price differentials - and of course, we don't know what the distribution costs are, so we're in the dark as to who gets what and from whom.
    Hmmm, in the case of Wired US, I've bought it in Spain for €5 at El Corte Ingles (against over €7 here), so I really don't buy into this suggestion. We are being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Zynks wrote: »
    Hmmm, in the case of Wired US, I've bought it in Spain for €5 at El Corte Ingles (against over €7 here), so I really don't buy into this suggestion. We are being ripped off.

Perhaps the Spanish aren't getting stitched up by the likes of Easons and the other trans-European snakes. :D

Advertisement