Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time build some advice needed plz

Options
  • 29-03-2009 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭

hi all im venturing into this unknown world lol but looking forward to it.iv bought this mobo( ECS NFORCE 570 SLIT-A) and am going to start building around it bit by bit hopefully on the cheap i just have a few questions if no one minds
    1:what ram do i need
    2:what budget cpu should i use
    3:what psu should i buy because i would like to go qaud core in the future
    4:is there anything else i should be thinking about
    all advice will be greatfully apreciated cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

massy086 wrote: »
    hi all im venturing into this unknown world lol but looking forward to it.iv bought this mobo( ECS NFORCE 570 SLIT-A) and am going to start building around it bit by bit hopefully on the cheap i just have a few questions if no one minds

1. DDR2, 533MHz or 667Mhz.
    2. Depends on the budget, do you want quad core, dual core, Celeron or Core2 etc.
    3. 500W or so, keep it to a decent brand though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

massy086 wrote: »

1. DDR2, with heatspreaders, 800mhz would be best to allow a bit of headroom for beginners overclocking (Intel budget CPUs have huge potential). Example.

2. It's hard to recommend a budget CPU when you haven't given your intended uses or budget. But something like this is a solid choice, fast at stock speeds and huge overclocking capability at a good price.

3. 400w+ is fine once it's a good brand. This is quite important. Depending on the severity of your budget, I'd opt for a minimum of this and ideally something like this.

4. Tell us what you plan doing with the machine, how much money you have to spend....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

well my budget is something like this i try pick up what i can off adverts ram iwill buy new
    cpu/80-100
    psu/50-80
    ram/80-100

how about this psu http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343135 i like the ram you sugested terror nice price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not a terrible PSU and I've had one myself and found it OK but in and around that price range, this would be the king by a considerable margin.

• Advertisement

hi terror wopuld this psu be any good cuz im running sli or should i just buy the 1 you said http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=109161&cat=8

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

WHOA! Hang on- you said "budget build" but then said "SLi"?! What cards are you getting/have you got? That has a huge effect on PSU requirements.

And that PSU you linked to on Adverts is a (much) older BFG and isn't really up to much by today's standards. Neither that nor the (far superior) Corsair would be up to powering most SLI builds.

In any case if you can't stretch to a E8400 for CPU you'll be stuck with OCing a cheapie E5200. The mobo is pretty old and can only support older RAM out of the box; I'm not sure whether PC6400 support is added in a BIOS update or whether you're stuck with PC5300 (667MHz). You'll need a BIOS update for newer CPUs anyway.

hi Solitaire i seen in another post early,er that you dont think oz ram is up to much lately could you recomend some to suit my board so far iv got a e6650 that i will overclock iv got a cursor hx620 psu and i got a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro heatsink to cool the cpu and i m getting a antec 300 case so just need 2x2gbs ram looking to finish this cheers

I'm not saying all OCZ memory sucks, just that they had a bad batch of high-end DDR2 chips lately. And it seems they've taken measures to deal with it. I wonder whose chips are being used in these? Saw the first kit sold out on MemoryC already... I know €85 is a bit much for 4GB DDR2... but... 1200MHz CL5 @1.8V?! :eek:

EDIT: OI! No emo jokes! (just saw the logo... :D)

well 1200MHz is never gona work on my mobo im even worried if 800mhz will so do you reckon stick with oz and if so should i go this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=363386 or http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339129

• Advertisement

I wasn't advising you to get any DDR2-9600, just noting that some OCZ performance DDR2 might be okay now. And that was an issue on another thread, I never suggested you should try and stick overclocking RAM on your old mobo :)

And while 800MHz DDR2 might not work automatically you can set it manually from the BIOS, if your mobo has a 3:2 (266MHz bus speed) or 6:5 (333MHz bus, although I don't know if the SLIT-A supports it) memory divider ratio.

ah ok lol so what do you think im better going for then the fatal1ty or the platinum

Something cheap and cheerful so long as you're going to run it at 800MHz ;)

The E6550 is dreadful for OC due to the high FSB and very low multiplier; you really need to see if you can keep that old mobo stable at 400MHz bus speed (i.e. FSB1600) but I'm not going to hold high hopes for it. Even then it'd only be running at 2.8GHz :( Your mobo would also need to support a 1:1 memory divider to keep the 800MHz DDR2 at 800MHz at that speed.

If you can hit or exceed 400MHz bus but lack a 1:1 divider then you really will have to get some DDR2-8500 (1066MHz). If you actually manage to exceed 400MHz by a fair margin (I seriously doubt it) you'll need that RAM anyway even with a 1:1 divider :o

And this is a good deal at the moment :)

so do you think i shoulsd scrap the mobo and buy something else can always just sel on the other mobo and maybe buy a mobo for 80-100 euro

Actually I'd say that its the CPU that's the problem because it runs at 1333MHz FSB and has an amazingly crap multiplier. OC would be sorely limited on ANY mobo, the old SLIT-A would just suffer worse than most. If you weren't OCing it wouldn't be that bad an issue if the SLIT-A could actually remain stable with a 333MHz bus.

Why oh why did you get an E6550... even a E2140 would be running at 2.66GHz @ FSB1333 :eek: And a cheapie E2220 would be hitting 4GHz at that point! (although it'd probably become unstable past 3.6GHz, but you get my point...) The kicker is that said mobo is 100% incompatible with 45nm CPUs like the E5200, so an easy upgrade that way is also out of the question.

Not that the SLIT-A is a great mobo (given its ECS its a miracle its lived this long!) but its the CPU that's killed your OC intentions this time.

well thats told me off lol right back to the drawing board i picked up the e6650 brand new for 50 euro thats why i got it if i can get it to 2.8ghz ill be happy but sounds like i could do with a new mobo any idea,s for my budget lol

so what ya think any idea,s 4 me

Err... see if you can find a really cheap E2180/E2200/E4400/E4600 (i.e. FSB800 65nm C2) second-hand? :o

The mobo is old but its the CPU that's at fault - with that stupidly low multiplier you're almost stuck at 2.33GHz. If you did get a new one it'd have to cost the better part of €120 to get one that could remain stable at a high enough FSB to give you any kind of OC at all, and at that price you'd be better off with E5200+low-mid-range mobo anyway! :(

right bit of an update hopefully getting a ASUS P5W DH Deluxe for 40 yo yo and ill just live with the e6650 4 now until something comes up on adverts got antec 300 the other day

ow how the build has changed lol here,s the new build what do ya,s think
    mobo/asus p5k delux wifi edition
    psu// corsair hx620
    cpu// e8400
    cpu cooler// Thermalright Ultra 120
    ram//ocz reaper 4gb pc 8500
    case antec 300 with two green 120mm thermaltake fans at the font
    hard drive 1tb samsung f1 spinpoint
    monitor lg 23" full hd 1008

not sure on gpu as the budget is shot by now lol was thinking of somthing cheap with hdmi maybe just to get me started can always upgrade later any idea,s????????????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I have been reading up a little the AMD Phenom II 550BE benchmarks and it seems like a decent CPU for the price that is a little below the E8400 performance wise (Roughly level with the E7400 according to 3DGuru) but would free up cash for a better GPU? A low budget card would be a major performance bottleneck for the E8400 anyway so why not take a little from the CPU budget and add it to the GPU budget instead?

Do you really need the modular 620W as well? The TX550W would do you just fine for a bit less dosh although is unclear where you stand on the GPU as you are down from SLI to no budget now :). Would you be still looking at a X2 graphics card configuration down the line? I am a firm believer in building for now as sometimes upgrades just don't materalise no matter how well intentioned you are at the moment, so why not shave back on a few component and improve on others?

Just noticed have you bought the board already? If so then discard the above, except for the PSU bit.

ye bought the mobo case cpu psu already mobo was 60 the cpu brand new was 110 and the psu was only 50 4 years warranty still on psu so didnt do too bad any card you would advice then

bump bump

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Are you still going with that 23" HD monitor and how much do you still have to spend?

X2-550BEs on certain mobos (esp. ASRock for some reason) can glitch under ACC and turn into X4-955BEs :D

On a more serious note its a good CPU for gaming-oriented builds - fast, cheap, great cache and easy OC if you combine with an SB750 mobo :) But you may be forced to unlock-and-underclock for some newer games (threading just got fashionable... who'da thunk it?!) as sometimes two cores aren't better than, er, lots more. In which case spending a little extra on a X3-720BE and OCing that would be a better futureproofing option (futureproofing being an oxymoron :P).

If you did get it you'd need an AM2+ or AM3 mobo with some form of 780 chipset and also cheap DDR3 for AM3.

The other good news is that 1650*1080 gaming is very cheap at the mo - a cheapie HD4850 and you're set. If you still insist on a 23" monster the price of admission is higher - prices have bounced a bit and its now harder to get a 55nm GTX260 under €150. That said the HD4890Pro is coming down in price. Fast. And it eats the 260.

And as we're so late in this generation I'm temporarily advising against CF/SLi if its the nebulous "maybe-in-the-future" sort. Right now is fine, but this generation will vanish as soon as 40nm GPUs start appearing in volume (at last) so unless you go CF now it just won't be worth it. At least that means you don't have to "futureproof" the [CENSORED] out of the PSU :P Even with a HD4890 you won't need more than a 550W or very cheap (read: cheap but NOT crap) 650W PSU if your'e not going multicard :)

cheers guy,s 4 all the help so far ye i,v now bought everything including the lg 23" hd monitor just stuck on the gpu now and budget is so so id like it 4 gaming and to have the use of watching movies in hd

GPU really depends on budget, but you'll be hurt for quality trying to run most games at 1080p on a HD4850. HDTV is a joke, any modern GPU from a €27 HD4350 upward can handle it without taxing the CPU (much). If you have the money try getting a cheap HD4890 as they're very keenly priced at the mo (as low as €160 in places) The GTX260 was good for a while but the 216core versions are rarely seen below €150 at the moment and thus compare badly to the old HD4870. It ain't subtle, but the 1GB version is under €130 in places :)

well finaly finished it and its flying along may the addiction begin lol have to say loved every min of it and would like to say chhers to everyone who helped me along the way. ill try and do the same 4 others now that i have some experence lol:):):):)

Advertisement