Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I get into a certain area of Photography? (Football)

• 29-03-2009 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

I'm studying Photography at the moment and a huge Football fan. I was at tonight's Ireland v Bulgaria game, terribly dull match so I found myself watching the Photographers more than the game. My envy shot up as Stiliyan Petrov celebrated inches away from one of the photographers. At half time I tried to somehow get in touch with these guys. I asked many stewards if they could walk over with a small piece of paper containing my E-Mail address but none of them would leave their posts and I was forced to forget about it. I noticed how a lot of them were young and this made me more interested as before I thought you had to study for like 10 years to get to this.

So yeah, how do I be like these guys?

11hqf53.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

one of them in a member on this forum(don't know if he's in the shots)

Basically i'm in the same position as you,You need money to get good kit,Then you need time to get out and shoot as many games as possible so you build up a portfolio you then maybe get in contact with a local paper and ask them if they need a freelance sports photographer meet up one day and show them your portfolio if they like it then they'll be getting you to cover local games from their they can then get you into bigger games like club games etc you build up a portfolio of club shots you can then possibly get accredated by the club and you can go to all their matches etc etc.Basically work from the bottom and work your way to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I was sitting in the area of the photo you took, but was not there when you took it.

I think there were about 10 photographers from boards there tonight.

So, I'm one of those guys who was out there tonight. Damn it was cold. I should have stayed home and kept warm. :D

Post your questions about sports photography, and you'll get loads of advice. I also have some sports photography tips on my website, if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sightaridis

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Really? Do you happen to know his username? I'd love to see some of his pictures from tonight.
    Basically i'm in the same position as you,You need money to get good kit,Then you need time to get out and shoot as many games as possible so you build up a portfolio you then maybe get in contact with a local paper and ask them if they need a freelance sports photographer meet up one day and show them your portfolio if they like it then they'll be getting you to cover local games from their they can then get you into bigger games like club games etc you build up a portfolio of club shots you can then possibly get accredated by the club and you can go to all their matches etc etc.Basically work from the bottom and work your way to the top.
    It's very difficult to get anything decent from the stands. Do you mean Sunday league games and kiddies games? I've got plenty of time on my hands so that's not an issue. It's the first time I've ever felt serious about pursuing an area of Photography so I'd really like a go at it. Do you reckon those guys I photographed worked for a newspaper or the stadium? Thanks for the advice.
    Paulw wrote:
    I think there were about 10 photographers from boards there tonight.
    Wow, lucky I signed up here then. Apologies for snapping shots of you lot, though I am POSITIVE that one of the Photographers pictured has a picture of me because I had lenses pointed in my direction before kick off. :P
    Damn it was cold. I should have stayed home and kept warm.
    Tell me about it, I'm still feeling the cold now.
    Post your questions about sports photography, and you'll get loads of advice. I also have some sports photography tips on my website, if you're interested.
    Very interested, thanks for the links. Good to know I'll get good advice here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Ricky91t wrote: »

Thats how I started, I dont know where you live but if you send me a pm I can give you a few pointers of local clubs etc.

I am in your pic and my pics from tonight are here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Thats how I started, I dont know where you live but if you send me a pm I can give you a few pointers of local clubs etc.

Some nice photos on the set Fergus

But your tagging had a typo - unless it was intentional !

Coke Park rather than Croke Park :pac:

• Advertisement

Great pictures there! Makes me want to pursue this area even more. I'm not really sure where to start though. Paul Walsh's site is a real help, I guess I need to get to work on a portfolio. Honestly my biggest challenge right now is finding events to shoot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

where bouts ya study photography?

Honestly my biggest challenge right now is finding events to shoot.

Look around you. There's bound to be a football, rugby or GAA club in your area. After that, have a word with them about taking photos at their games.

Mostly there are clubs in local parks that are right beside you.

where bouts ya study photography?
    Griffith College Dublin. I'm actually on a break for personal reasons but I'll be returning in October.

Btw, 70-200mm f/2.8 lens is so expensive! ;_; I already spent 80% of my money on my Canon EOS!

Look around you. There's bound to be a football, rugby or GAA club in your area. After that, have a word with them about taking photos at their games.

Mostly there are clubs in local parks that are right beside you.
    I actually live near Railway Union, if you know where that is. I'm sure I'd find games to soot there, though I'd have to figure out when. I also need to save for that lens first.

Edit: Sorry for double post, I thought the board would have the Auto-Merge feature.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Griffith College Dublin. I'm actually on a break for personal reasons but I'll be returning in October.

Btw, 70-200mm f/2.8 lens is so expensive! ;_; I already spent 80% of my money on my Canon EOS!

will see ya there. And yes sports is prob the most expensice area to get into... i think when starting... maybe something cheaper will be grand... just mash the noise up and play round with it... getting framing and the like, i'd think getting that down to a tee will stand to you and when ya do upgrade you will be right up there from the start

will see ya there.
    Are you starting Photography in October or are you currently there?
    just mash the noise up and play round with it...
    I assume you mean image noise here, why do you say up the noise?

I just remembered that I have a zoom lens for my film camera so I should make use of that. Though I'd definitely prefer to be shooting on digital, I simply don't have the money for a suitable lens right now. The lens is a Tamron 80-210mm, if my memory serves me correctly, it's a long time since I used it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I actually live near Railway Union, if you know where that is. I'm sure I'd find games to soot there, though I'd have to figure out when. I also need to save for that lens first.

Edit: Sorry for double post, I thought the board would have the Auto-Merge feature.

if I remember rightly, railway union is off Park Ave. in Sandymoint? if that's the case, then you are close to Clanna Gael Fontenoy GAA on Sean Moore road and also ringsend park. you'll get games here most evenings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Check the Junior Soccer section of the Star or Herald and will see some fixtures go along anddont be afraid to make images available to the clubs for Brochures etc!

if I remember rightly, railway union is off Park Ave. in Sandymoint? if that's the case, then you are close to Clanna Gael Fontenoy GAA on Sean Moore road and also ringsend park. you'll get games here most evenings
    You are correct, I am very close to Clanna Gael, I never thought of going there though. Can I just turn up one night with my camera or should I be asking someone for permission?
    Check the Junior Soccer section of the Star or Herald and will see some fixtures go along anddont be afraid to make images available to the clubs for Brochures etc!
    Sounds good, I'll definitely look into this.

You are correct, I am very close to Clanna Gael, I never thought of going there though. Can I just turn up one night with my camera or should I be asking someone for permission?

Never hurts to ask. Clubs normally love the attention. Just contact the club (media officer if they have one), and ask for permission to photograph.

Paulw wrote: »
    Never hurts to ask. Clubs normally love the attention. Just contact the club (media officer if they have one), and ask for permission to photograph.
    Well if I turned up to a local game, the only person I could ask would be the coach right? And he's hardly the right person to ask. It's different if I know which clubs I'll be going to of course. Do these junior clubs have their own websites. I'm just thinking of ways to get in touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Talk to the clubs P.R.O. for GAA and ask them if you can take some shots

Most clubs have a website, or else drop by the clubhouse and ask who you should contact - team manager, coach, etc

Alright then, thanks again lads. I plan to get started as soon as possible, I've some other things to take care of first so it wont be immedite. In the mean time I'll just keep looking at Sports Photography.

• Advertisement

Apologies for the bump.

I want to get my hands on some film to help with my portfolio. What ISO would you guys suggest?

Ok, I don't use film (not sure if any of the other sports photographers who post here do either).

Basically, you want the fastest you can get. For daytime (well lit) sport, you can get away with ISO 200 (digital), but there are even decent days when I shoot ISO 400 to get high shutter speeds.

Ok, I don't use film (not sure if any of the other sports photographers who post here do either).

Basically, you want the fastest you can get. For daytime (well lit) sport, you can get away with ISO 200 (digital), but there are even decent days when I shoot ISO 400 to get high shutter speeds.
    I'll be bringing my digital too. I'm going to use film as I have a zoom lens for my old camera which may come in handy.

I'll most likely be shooting at night under floodlights, would ISO 400 do for that?

I'll be bringing my digital too. I'm going to use film as I have a zoom lens for my old camera which may come in handy.

I'll most likely be shooting at night under floodlights, would ISO 400 do for that?

At night under floodlights - wow. No idea how the pro film photographers do it.

I generally shoot ISO 1000-1600, depending on the location. Croke Park on Saturday, probably the best floodlights around, and I was using ISO 1600 (1/800 sec and f/4) for the vast majority of my shots.

At night under floodlights - wow. No idea how the pro film photographers do it.

I generally shoot ISO 1000-1600, depending on the location. Croke Park on Saturday, probably the best floodlights around, and I was using ISO 1600 (1/800 sec and f/4) for the vast majority of my shots.
    Ah right, perhaps I'll reserve my film camera for daytime events. The zoom lens is not a big deal, I'll likely be close to the action anyway and my basic 18-55mm should do the trick. I hope.

Advertisement