Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specific O2 texting problem each night

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Again at 00:04 on my mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Like clockwork between 00:00 and 00:05. Sends first go at 00:06

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I keep forgetting to check. My text went fine at 00:08 :P

Im going to setup a webtext to go at midnight, id imagine it will, but purely for testing purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Tech have told me that there was some sheduled work over the last couple of weeks so this was the problem.

Trouble is I don't beleive that is the case and they have not understood what I told them. I have reopened the track with more info for them to play around with.

Thanks for continuing to update.

Unless I set it up wrong but the webtext never sent. I set it up yesterday to send April 29th at midnight - but I am now wondering should the date have been the 30th?

• Advertisement

Yes it should have been :)

Yes it should have been :)

Ya I thought as much. Some systems I have used are the opposite so its a tad confusing. Ill change it and see what happens.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Happened me for the last few minutes there! county Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Happened me again tried both 3G and 2G networks. got a friend to check his O2 phone as well was unable to send sms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Happened to me also. 2 contract o2 phones here. Neither would send until 0006.

• Advertisement

Setup the web text Daryll to go at midnight. It arrived after the "deadlock".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

just to add to this thread, the same happens me. every night, midnight for 5 minutes.

based in lucan, dublin if that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

This happens to me every night at midnight til about 12.05am...I was wondering what was happening!

Hi Daryll,

Is there any update on this? Just curious why it's happening?

Thanks.

Ok I have answer. We have recently seen an increase in the number of texts sent per second. If a certain number is exceeded and overworks the system that handles them then at midnight the system will restart itself to catch up. This causes the 5 minute outage at midnight. Now the the problem have been found we are going to up the capacity of texts that can be handled by the system every second which will eradicate the issue altogether.

Ok I have answer. We have recently seen an increase in the number of texts sent per second. If a certain number is exceeded and overworks the system that handles them then at midnight the system will restart itself to catch up. This causes the 5 minute outage at midnight. Now the the problem have been found we are going to up the capacity of texts that can be handled by the system every second which will eradicate the issue altogether.

Thanks Daryll it's interesting to know the background reason for this!

Seemed to happen to me again last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭ciano14

was just going to post a thread about this!
    I've only noticed it in the last few weeks but I'm sure it's always been happening
    my sister and two friends have the same problem.
    getting fixed anytime soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

If this is the case then why are texts getting delivered as normal during peak hours when you would think a delay would happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Having that problem now. Not noticed it before, I guess I've never sent a text at this time before?

Pain in the hole anyway :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This is still happening daryll, do you know if they are still working on it?

It is actually a fairly big job. They haven't started yet as they need clearance for the investment needed which is substantial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Just wondering if there is any update on this. Usually, as described by others in the thread, it is only around the stroke of midnight - after 00:05 or so things go back to normal. But tonight it has been very patchy and any texts I've sent in the last hour have taken more than the one attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I noticed it, too. Was wondering what was going on.

That said. Made a second attempt and it flew.

Advertisement