Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh fish in Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 29-03-2009 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Evening all,

I remember a friend mentioning a while back that it was possible to buy fish directly from the boats coming in to Dun Laoghaire - anyone know if this is still possible, and if so where/when it takes place?

Much obliged...

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lloyderz

Yes iv heard you can buy fish directly there too. You can buy some in bullock harbour in dalkey also.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

inbetween the two piers there is a smaller pier with a building on the end its known as the ice box and fresh fish is available here, not sure of its opening hours though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

ask around. there is a fish shop on georges st and there is a lady who sells fish herself on convent road (not sure if she still does).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

ask around. there is a fish shop on georges st and there is a lady who sells fish herself on convent road (not sure if she still does).

Yup she's there just outside irish Nationwide on georges Street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TheQuay

i know this is an old thread but i wanted to reply back to you all. I own a fish shop in Dun Laoghaire (yes the one at the end of the harbour!)

we open 9-5 Tuesday - Friday and 9-1 Saturdays. We dont open mondays as no fishermen work sundays, we only sell the freshest fish.

Feel free to drop in, mention that you heard us from here and we will look after you. We will be launching a website shortly too.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

You can buy Crab and Lobster directly at Bulloch Harbour!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

TheQuay wrote: »
    i know this is an old thread but i wanted to reply back to you all. I own a fish shop in Dun Laoghaire (yes the one at the end of the harbour!)

we open 9-5 Tuesday - Friday and 9-1 Saturdays. We dont open mondays as no fishermen work sundays, we only sell the freshest fish.

Feel free to drop in, mention that you heard us from here and we will look after you. We will be launching a website shortly too.

thanks

Welcome to boards.ie and I look forward to seeing the website.

Can you confirm or deny the story I was told that most of your fish comes from Howth and other harbours and very little if any is actually from the fishing boats beside your shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Nowadays the trawlers in Dun Laoghaire only really catch shellfish. It wouldn't be possible to run a fish shop with only what comes in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Where exactly is this shop, is it near the start of the big pier or on the opposite side at the smaller pier near the yacht club?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

tonto2010 wrote: »
    Where exactly is this shop, is it near the start of the big pier or on the opposite side at the smaller pier near the yacht club?

Cheers

It's on a small pier named Traders Wharf which is located just inside the West Pier (the smaller pier).

If you have a look on google maps you'll find Traders Wharf - you can't miss the shop when you get to the wharf, it's a large square stone building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

It's on a small pier named Traders Wharf which is located just inside the West Pier (the smaller pier).

If you have a look on google maps you'll find Traders Wharf - you can't miss the shop when you get to the wharf, it's a large square stone building.

Nice one, will head down for a look tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭zyndacyclone

I wish I'd known about this years ago. I spent a fortune at Caviston's for stuff that was better bought at Dun Laoghaire pier. The thing is....I grew up here and I don't know why I didn't know that this was still here.

To the guy who runs this....you need to do some serious advertising....the market is there but no one knows that you are...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Has anyone actually gone to it and tell us prices/variety/quality?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Happygolucky!

Fantastic place, it's a real gem. The fish selection and price varies daily as the the stock is bought fresh and reflect Market price. My family have being using the "ice plant" as we know it for years and the same family have been serving 30 years on, they knew are names growing up and now they know our childrens so it's a really nice vibe! Bring the kids if you have any as you can feed the seals with the fish scraps left after filleting. We find the best way to shop is to ask whats nice on the day and take the advice from the girls.

Advertisement