Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP-How to- UPC Network Setup !

Options
  • 29-03-2009 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking for your help (total network noob) on how to setup my home network with fixed I.P addresses .I know how to get into the TCP IP Protocols but I am looking for what info (ip and dns info) i need to fill in on my Laptop and PS3 (see below config)

I have a fully functioning network with auto I.P address but i am looking to use fixed I.P addresses due to better configuration of ports for torrents etc.
    I have forwarded all relevent ports on my router but due to not having fixed i.p i think i am not getting the most from it and would like to try the fixed i.p method to see for improvements.

My setup is this :

UPC 10MG __>Netgear wireless router __>PS3 (wired) __> Laptop (wireless) .

Would you be able to help me get my laptop and PS3 on fixed i.p so i can be sure my port forwarding is full functioning .
    I can do the basics but am having trouble .

M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Having a fixed IP really shouldn't make any difference but if you want to use a static, get your current IP information by doing Start, run, type cmd and hit enter. Then, in the new window, type ipconfig /all. Then you'll see your current IP, default gateway and DNS settings.

Make a note of them and edit your network card's TCP/IP settings giving it an IP address in the same range e.g. if your current IP address is 10.1.1.1 then you should use an IP in the range of 10.1.1.1-10.1.1.254. Then set your DNS and default gateway to the same as in the CMD window as above.

You really should edit the DHCP (automatic IP) settings of your router to make sure that it doesn't give out the same address. You can exclude IPs from DHCP but if your choose a high enough number in the range e.g. 10.1.1.250 then it's not likely that the DHCP server will give that one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

S,

Your a gent thanks ...

Eveything makes perfect sense ...just one thing , my netgear router has the following options for DNS and I.P

[URL="javascript:loadhelp('BAS_ether','DNSaddress')"]Domain Name Server (DNS) Address [/URL]
    Get Automatically From ISP (THIS IS SELECTED)
    Use These DNS Servers
    spacer.gifPrimary DNS ..................................... ... spacer.gifSecondary DNS...............................................
    The radio button for "get automatically from isp " is selected , can you please advise what i should do here ?

also

Internet IP Address
    Get Dynamically From ISP (THIS IS SELECTED)
    Use Static IP Address
    IP Address ... xxxxxxxxxxxx
    IP Subnet Mask ...255.255.255.0
    Gateway IP Address ...xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    The radio button for "get dynamically from isp " is selected , can you please advise what i should do here ?

What should i put in these 2 options (dns and ip )

Ta again
    M

What does it say under DNS when you do an ipconfig /all ?

When you set the static IP address, enter the address you want, set the netmask to whatever it's set to in ipconfig /all and the same for the gateway and for DNS. If DNS is set to the same IP as your netgear, then set the same manually.

i.p config shows ......am i ok showing all this info (especially my previous post) on an open forum ?:confused:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxxxx>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-B7-B9-CF-56

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
    k Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-DE-A8-E1-05
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:09:12 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 30, 2009 8:09:12 AM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Personal Area Network from
    TOSHIBA
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-7A-FC-91-E

Yeah it's fine. It's your internal network so it's like posting a picture of the safe in your living room wall on the net, it's not much use if nobody knows your house address!

Here's mine!
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DEFMIL
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Con
    nection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-D2-41-01-5D
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::50aa:f603:f5e7:2d03%11(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.100(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

(No idea why I have a static address, or the wrong subnet. I must have been messing around with it for some reason)

Anyway,

You should set whatever static IP address you want e.g.
    IP address 192.168.1.250
    SMask: 255.255.255.0
    DefGwy: 192.168.1.1
    DNS server: 192.168.1.1

• Advertisement

Oh, didn't see your previous post. Edit it and remove your external IP address.

Don't change those settings, they are the addresses set by your ISP (NTL). Let your netgear worry about all that. The NTL gives your netgear the settings it needs to get out on the internet (we don't want to change these settings). Your netgear in turn gives the settings your laptop needs to connect to it, and on to the internet.

Think of the cable going from the NTL router to your wireless as network A and the wireless connection between the netgear and your laptop as network B.
    We only want to change network B.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

leave the DNS to auto
    on the ps3 go to network settings then internet connection settings
    select custom then wired, set everthin to auto except the ip, ya will need to enter an ip, subnet, router ip and dns
    set the dns the same as the router

with the netgear router ya can reserve ip's to be excluded from the dhcp

just a quick one....

half way doing the PS3 ... DO I ENABLE OR DISABLE UPNP

enable it

OK ..UPDATE.

Laptop now fixed i.p 192.168.1.250 ...working fine.
    PS3 now fixed i.p 192.168.1.251 ...working fine.
    Netgear router did not touch any i.p , dns or any setting !

Am i all set now ..note...i did not touch any address on the router , is that o.k .

Also i have forwarded some ports on my router to the new i.ps addresses , can you tell me the best ports to forward for the likes of utorrent etc.

Am i allowed as that question , if not please delete mods.

M

(p.s) Thanks so much to you both !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

You might just want to exclude those two addresses from the DHCP settings on your netgear. Just so it won't attempt to hand those addresses out on DHCP.

S,

I am connected to my router at the moment , the only thing i can find in relation to your advice is in "LAN SETTINGS" and the option has the following info:

[URL="javascript:loadhelp('LAN_lan','dhcp')"] Use Router as DHCP Server [/URL] Starting IP Address . . . Ending IP Address . . . [URL="javascript:loadhelp('LAN_lan','reserved')"]Address Reservation[/URL] # IP Address Device Name Mac Address

The router is set as "use router as DHCP SERVER" and there is an option for "address reservation" ..... I am guessing this is were i need to input the 2 static i.p that i setup (192.168.1.250 / 192.168.1.251 ) correct?

yeah this ir ur mac address for the pc
    wrote:
    00-15-B7-B9-CF-56[/qoute]
    for the ps3 go to sttings then system settings
    its either there or in network settings>internet connection status

Guil,

Yea i done it , the router auto detected both PS3 and laptop and gave me an option to exclude both address which i have done .

I seem to be all set now and will see if i get any improvements .

Thanks so much for your help , it may have been a walk in the park to you but extremly helpful for me .

M

if ur havin any trouble playin games online on the ps3, ya could try gettin a switch, its what is in ur router with the 4 ethernet ports on the back
    ya put it between the modem and router and connect the ps3 to the switch, worked a charm for me when i had upc

Advertisement