Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planer or Thicknesser ?

Options
  • 29-03-2009 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Im looking for a new machine(s). Preferably a planer, and seperate thicknesser. I can get my hands on some very good bulk seasoned timber, and need to mill it.

I have been looking at a jet 54a machine. Combined with the jet floor standing thicknesser. Ray Graham Tools in NI have good prices, and I can save the VAT

Any comments on these machines.

DaveMayo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It might be cheaper to go for a combination Planer Thicknesser, saves space as well. make sure , esp for the Thicknesser that it has reasonable horse power motors,(i assume you're talking single phase) because, it's easier to burn out a single phase motor and more expensive to replace compared to three phase.
    Also, for a great finish, go for a 4 blade cutter block, 2 is fine, but 4 is worth the bit extra.
    Lots of bargains out there, look in the woodworking supply showrooms for second hand, you'll get a much higher quality machine(s) compared to a lighter newer machine for good money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 davemayo

Thanks

Agreed about the planer/thicknesser costs...
    Can get a good deal through work, so can maximise spend.
    Have not been able to find any decent used single phase machines, and have made lots of call on this.
    Wonder if you have any comments on jet machines, v axminster or just record?

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Not familiar with those brands, but a trip to Dublin to a few woodworking suppliers would be the best option. Have a look and tell me what's available, i should have a good idea what's good value then. The companies i've dealt with in the past include High Tech Machinery, Maginn,and LM Machinery, all in Dublin, and Electro tech in the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

davemayo wrote: »
    Im looking for a new machine(s). Preferably a planer, and seperate thicknesser. I can get my hands on some very good bulk seasoned timber, and need to mill it.

I have been looking at a jet 54a machine. Combined with the jet floor standing thicknesser. Ray Graham Tools in NI have good prices, and I can save the VAT

Any comments on these machines.

DaveMayo

if u can try get a second hand Wadkin P/T: super machine/ cast iron tables and hydraulic table adjustment

Advertisement