Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XO Chilli Sauce

• 29-03-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

First time I've come across this so I thought I'd pass it on. Twenty years ago or more the chinese restaurants in Hong Kong started to compete with each other to make the king of chilli sauces. Named after XO Cognac - the house best traditionally kept for the patron - this sauce is supposed to be excellent with fish or shellfish but can be used on anything.

4 Dried scallops (aka conpoy) soaked in warm water for 2 hours
    50g dried shrimp soaked in warm water for 2 hours
    200g long red chillies deseeded and finely chopped
    50g fresh ginger finely chopped
    50g garlic finely chopped
    2 tsp salt
    2 tsp sugar
    300ml vegetable oil
    3 spring onions finely chopped

Steam the soaked scallops for 10 minutes then shred while warm. Pound the dried shrimp to a paste in a pestle & mortar.

Put all ingredients except spring onion in a pan and cook on a low heat for 45 minutes. Allow to cool and add spring onions.

I've not made this yet - the hunt is on for dried scallop - if anyone has tried it, do you know how long it will last?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

You could try the asian stores. It lasts for quite a while since it is dried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Sorry, I meant if anyone has tried making the sauce, how long will it last?

Advertisement