Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to plant in these tall planters?

Options
  • 29-03-2009 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭

I was on a couple of weeks back and have decided to upload a picture of one the planters to see if I can get any advice. I have two of these and am having difficulty working out what to plant in them.

They will only get sun from around 3/4 in the afternoon and garden is quite windy due to field behind the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

donnacha wrote: »
    I was on a couple of weeks back and have decided to upload a picture of one the planters to see if I can get any advice. I have two of these and am having difficulty working out what to plant in them.

They will only get sun from around 3/4 in the afternoon and garden is quite windy due to field behind the house.

You'll need to be careful which plants you select for 2 reasons:

Planter - high with tapered sides, are prone to blowing over especially with a tall plant, which sets a high centre of gravity.

Position- lack of sun combined with wind tunnel will be very challenging for most plants, wind scorch/root rock, planter drying out etc.

I would suggest you do the following fill each planter with at least 300mm of rubble/broken stone, this will enhance stability as well offer drainage. fit plastic tray or bowl to act as reservoir to and backfill with a good mix 70:30 soil and compost and mix in some slow release pelleted fertiliser eg Osmocote. Planters are ready for planting.

You can expect reasonable success with following:

Bay(Lauris Nobilis) cone, Box (Buxus sempervirens) Ball/Pyramid, Convolvulus Cneorem and possiblyHolly (Ilex) Marginata.

Some Dwarf Varieties of popular shrubs include :

Skimmia Rubella (Merlot), Rhododendron (Inkarho), Red Robin (Photinia) Nana.

All above are evergreen and some with good foliage colour and/or flower and scent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Thank you very much for the advice. I had already filled both bases with some old stones and broken clay pots so probably have the base to work with as suggested.

Advertisement