Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem finding out where a Bank Draft went.

Options
  • 29-03-2009 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

It’s a long story and for those of you who use other forums you might have seen this before, so I will try to keep it simple.
    It started back in July 2004 when I gave two sterling Bank Drafts to a financial service company which now holds a ten year licence (MAI). At that time they did not give me a receipt and I asked and asked but still no joy. In October 2005 the directors of this company agreed to draw up an agreement as to what way this money was to be paid back. On the night that this agreement was drawn up only one director was present and I was asked to come back the next day to have a second director to sign it. My wife went to the office and the second director refused to sign it and threw my wife out of the office. When I went back to the office and kicked up hell and after no one in the office had called the guards (because when I say I kicked up hell that’s exactly what I mean) I called the guards myself. When the guards came of course I was seen as the one causing trouble but after listening to both sides the director agreed that this agreement was what they had agreed and he signed it.
    While at this office another director introduced himself and told us that no such money had gone into any account of the company and when we asked him to look into it he said he would. One week after when I rang him he said it had nothing to do with him and not to contact him again (he then resigned from the company).
    The Bank Drafts were drawn from my Solicitors client account so I asked him to put a trace on them in November of 2005 and to this day they still wont tell him what account they were lodged to.
    I also went to this companies auditors and they to said that no such money was lodged to any account of the company. I found out only a couple of weeks ago that the account that they were lodged to was opened in 1999, so when I looked at the records of this company in the CRO I found that the auditors themselves were directors of this company but they deny any knowledge of this account.
    I am trying to keep this as short as I can but there is much more information I have found about these people.
    My question is why will the bank where my Solicitor holds his client account not tell him the account where the Drafts were lodged, when my own bank would tell me over the phone.
    Anybody want to make a comment
    Regards
    LarryTheKidd.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

The bank should be able to put a trace on them, but it will take a while as its a few years back. Once they find out what bank was used to transact the drafts they should then be able to contact that bank and find out if they were cashed or lodged and any details of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LarryTheKidd

IsThatSo.

I first asked my Solicitor to put a trace on the drafts in November 2005 and they have told him last week that Barclays will not give any information because of client confidentiality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

:eek:

What about your right to know what happened to YOUR money?? :eek:

TBH I hadn't realised it was a foreign draft, the scenario I gave you is what would happen if it was an Irish draft and processed within the Irish clearing system.

Would you consider approaching your Bank directly, explain the situation and see if they can contact Barclays? Banks would not hand out information to a third party (like a Solicitor) but would (well, should) reply to a trace from the Bank. If there is a legal case pending then your Bank should communicate this to Barclays and they might be more agreeable to giving a response (hint hint).

Advertisement