Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRCHSS results

Options
  • 29-03-2009 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi,
    Just a quick question for those of you who previously applied for the IRCHSS scheme 1 for postgrads- when did you hear back from IRCHSS? It says not before May - any more precise details on the date?
    Thanks!:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

For me I think it was early May, but that was a good few years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

First week of May for me, that was two years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lagreene

Great, thanks Esmereldina and efla!

I got a letter from IRCHSS yesterday to acknowledge the receipt of the application, and said that they plan to inform applicants by mid May.

Hi,

Just wondering has anybody heard back from the irchss yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

I haven't heard anything yet anyway. I've been rushing home from work each day for the past week to see if I've got post from them but no luck so far. Maybe today............?

Dowdy,

I didn't hear anything today either... Hopefully it will be soon though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cabhog

lagreene wrote: »
    Dowdy,

I didn't hear anything today either... Hopefully it will be soon though!

Anyone hear anything yet?

I'm on tenterhooks!

Nope, not a thing yet!

I emailed them on may 9th and this is what they said: "We envisage informing applicants of the results of the scheme within the coming fortnight."

I really thought we would hear this week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭the-jojo-axiom

I think I may explode with the anticipation :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Mr dissidence

I think I may explode with the anticipation :(

I know exactly how you feel :( I have a feeling though that the letters will be sent early next week. I am expecting mine by Tues or Weds at the latest. Good luck to everyone who is expecting a letter anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Expected the letter maybe to come last week so hopefully it will be coming through the letterbox early this week. The waiting is unbearable :( Best of luck to anyone waiting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 potoftea

Feel a lot better reading all your commemts. The waiting really is the worst part! The postman's just been...nothing (again). Poor man's going to think I'm stalking him!

My post man comes around 9am so at least I'm put out of my misery early in the day! I wish they would just post list on the website or something-they obviously have known who has gotten the scholarship for a while but seem to take ages to put together and send the feedback letters... Just knowing if I got it or not would do! Or even a definite date would be good.....

• Registered Users Posts: 47 _hybrid_

hey, im in the same boat as everyone here. i know that last year the people who got accepted and those who didn't found out on different days but im not sure who did first. . . im freaked that im going to read a comment here that someone has got the scholarship when i haven't even got a letter. . . .aarg

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭the-jojo-axiom

eek, my postman/woman can appear at any time of the day, or be a day late :(

Plus, it's going to come to my home address, so I've taken to rushing the 10 miles home from college every day, it's getting a bit dangerous at this stage :P

I'm going demented here myself. The postie doesn't come to my flat until around 10.30, at which time I'm here at work. I was rushing home early from work each day for the first week of this month, but when I rang the IRCHSS last week they said we would be informed within 7-14 days so I tried to put it out of my mind for a while.

I'm dreading the possible rejection now - a scholarship would be my ticket out of the daily grind of office work and back into the ivory towers of academia! I don't want to spend the rest of my short life worrying about ****ing 'upskilling' and my 'work-life balance' and all that other corporate ****e.

If any of you get a letter, let us know as soon as possible so that I can hurry home and face the terrible excitement of my own letter.

Best of luck to all of you!

Postman came and went this morning and no letter :( Is that a good or a bad thing....just wish the IRCHSS would let us know!!

Postman came and went this morning and no letter :( Is that a good or a bad thing....just wish the IRCHSS would let us know!!

Same here :-(

Damn you IRCHSS, you big tease! Ah well, I can relax for the day now at least, knowing that my letter isn't sitting unopened in the letterbox at home awaiting my return.

What subjects are all of you guys applying for? I've applied for a Ph.D. in English myself. I'd be very interested to know what the breakdown of applicants and successful applicants is, with regard to subjects, etc.

I was told that last year there were around 450 applicants to the scheme in total, and around 150 were successful: 3-to-1 odds. I was also told that the budget was already in place for this year, so there should still be the same number of granted scholarships. But I'm sure the number of applicants has increased greatly now, with everyone losing jobs and thinking about going back to college for a few years to shelter from the worst of the recession.

• Advertisement

Dowdy wrote: »
    . I was rushing home early from work each day for the first week of this month, but when I rang the IRCHSS last week they said we would be informed within 7-14 days so I tried to put it out of my mind for a while.

Just wondering when ypu phoned them Dowdy?

Damn you IRCHSS, you big tease! Ah well, I can relax for the day now at least, knowing that my letter isn't sitting unopened in the letterbox at home awaiting my return.

What subjects are all of you guys applying for? I've applied for a Ph.D. in English myself. I'd be very interested to know what the breakdown of applicants and successful applicants is, with regard to subjects, etc.

I was told that last year there were around 450 applicants to the scheme in total, and around 150 were successful: 3-to-1 odds. I was also told that the budget was already in place for this year, so there should still be the same number of granted scholarships. But I'm sure the number of applicants has increased greatly now, with everyone losing jobs and thinking about going back to college for a few years to shelter from the worst of the recession.

Thankfully the budget was in place already (although Im sure even budgets already passed can be changed and given the sweeping cuts in other areas I'd be worried) I'd think the number of applicants would have increased but not sure if it would be overly dramatic given the closing date was the end of Jan. Even if aplications went up 33% then the odds would be 1 in 4 getting scholarships.

I've applied for a PhD in Economics (more specifically the area of financial economics) so I'm hoping my proposal will be both a little unique and quite topical at the moment given that it concerns leveraged investments, regulation and the wider social implications of unbridled financial markets.

Oh breaking news: Just got an e-mail there now from them "We expect to announce the results of the Scheme early next week." For God's sake they said that last week!!!!!!

@lagreene: I think it was Tuesday or Wednesday last week.

@Mike: Ah feck them anyway, another week of thumb-twiddling awaits us. Yeah it sounds like your proposal has particular relevance.

I was slightly worried about mine (on the metaphysics of Cormac McCarthy's fictional worlds, and in particular their relationship to his interest in chaos theory and complexity theory), because it doesn't have any particularly Irish hook. The fact that he's Irish-American doesn't mean much in this case. Someone advised me before that I should "Irish" up my proposal a bit, to increase my chances, but after a period of doubtful fretting I decided against it. It would have required me to completely compromise my original idea and I'm not interested in whoring myself to try and get funding. They'll either see the merits of my proposal or they won't.

Ah well, I guess we can try and put it from our minds again until the start of next week, when the nailbiting suspense will recommence...

I'm moving to Dublin for the summer next week and my IRCHSS letter will be coming to Cork.....Why couldn't they have got it out this week :( Ah well!!!

And the worst part is obviously they have the results!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 potoftea

Nooo! Early next week! I was all set to believe we'd have our letters by this Friday. Or wait (ever the optimist):maybe they mean they'll be posting the results online early next week, by which time we will have our letters! God, I can't take any more of this second-guessing!

Oh and my area: my application is for a PhD in archaeology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Mr dissidence

potoftea wrote: »
    Nooo! Early next week! I was all set to believe we'd have our letters by this Friday. Or wait (ever the optimist):maybe they mean they'll be posting the results online early next week, by which time we will have our letters! God, I can't take any more of this second-guessing!

Oh and my area: my application is for a PhD in archaeology.

I think the IRCHSS post the results online months after the offer letters have been sent (when they have a definite number of scholars accepting the award etc). So, I wouldn't be holding out on an internet results list, anytime soon. I have heard that they sent letters out to post-doc applicants and that was last week, I think. Obviously they were busy processing that. I really just want to know at this stage, or else I may need counseling to deal with the anxiety. I am starting to become obsessed! Anyway, hopefully they will post out the letters this Friday, which means that they'll be in the post Monday first thing. Again, the best of luck to everyone!

I wonder if u landed up at their offices in Dublin in person and asked them for your result letter. It would save them the cost of postage and "cost savings" is the magic word these days :p

We'll all be needing an IRCHSS support group soon! I thought that they were generously over estimating the time until they informed applicants-but clearly not... It's very frustrating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

@lagreene: I think it was Tuesday or Wednesday last week.

@Mike: Ah feck them anyway, another week of thumb-twiddling awaits us. Yeah it sounds like your proposal has particular relevance.

I was slightly worried about mine (on the metaphysics of Cormac McCarthy's fictional worlds, and in particular their relationship to his interest in chaos theory and complexity theory), because it doesn't have any particularly Irish hook. The fact that he's Irish-American doesn't mean much in this case. Someone advised me before that I should "Irish" up my proposal a bit, to increase my chances, but after a period of doubtful fretting I decided against it. It would have required me to completely compromise my original idea and I'm not interested in whoring myself to try and get funding. They'll either see the merits of my proposal or they won't.

Ah well, I guess we can try and put it from our minds again until the start of next week, when the nailbiting suspense will recommence...

Have you come across David Byrne's Complexity theory and the Social Sciences? Might be of interest

Good luck everyone, I'm reliving the pain all over again reading these :)

Advertisement