Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRCHSS results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭the-jojo-axiom

cassElliot wrote: »
    wow, thanks so much for such good advice. sad to hear you didn't get it! what field are you in? if you dont mind me asking.

i know i shouldn't let it bother me, but its difficult being without any money for such a long period of time! esp as i get older and my friends have full time work!

when you say dont be afraid to state my theoretically view point, could you expand on that point? i'm in psychology, so avoiding usage of the first person has been drummed into me.

thanks again for the wonderful advice. glad you got some funding tho! :)

oh also, the people reading my proposal are my supervisor, my friend who has the same degree as me, but went into a different area postgrad and another friend who is in engineering so a totally different field. i figured if there is something he cant understand then i am not being clear about my argument. i dont know who else to ask and i went through college being told that my work is all i have as a researcher/academic and not to flaunt it about. paranoia!!

I'll PM you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I just can't believe that it'll be August before the results are out- so close to the start of the academic year, people could be left very stuck... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cassElliot

AUGUST... holy sh.t.

from march to august... thats an incredible waiting period. i suppose if successful its worth the wait?

AUGUST... holy sh.t.

from march to august... thats an incredible waiting period. i suppose if successful its worth the wait?

That is the expected time according to IRCHSS... Last year, if I remember correctly from a friend who got it, it was late June/early July. Ridiculous really- most of the UK funding competitions let you know by April/May usually.

You would think that with an online system, it might help speed things up a little, but apparently not...

yeah i thought it was end of may that people found out last year... why the massive jump i wonder?!

i applied for funding with another organisation in February and found out today I was unsuccessful. still, it only took them 5 weeks....

damn. i'll be wishing the whole summer away now :(

• Advertisement

'Cos they're incompetent, that's why...

does anyone know if its the proposal thats important, or academic achievements?

The proposal counts for 60% of your 'score' with IRCHSS. Then about 20% is based on 'scholar profile' (this is where I suspect previous academic achievements will be considered), and then a further 20% is allocated for the match between you and the supervisor/department. I think it's in the Terms & Conditions section of the application website?

oh thanks loads for the info... i'm pretty brutal at reading terms and conditions, i normally dive in too fast :(

that breakdown seems fair.
    thanks again, and best of luck.

oh thanks loads for the info... i'm pretty brutal at reading terms and conditions, i normally dive in too fast :(

that breakdown seems fair.
    thanks again, and best of luck.

My supervisor pointed them out to me, thankfully (I'm also a bit headlong with T&Cs :o )

I hope it all works out for you (for both of us in fact!).

• Advertisement

ah thats very kind of you. yes hope it does work out, would be wonderful thing to get. what college are you in?

you're better than me with the T&C's. i'm meeting my supervisor tomorrow so will be chatting more about them then :)

ah thats very kind of you. yes hope it does work out, would be wonderful thing to get. what college are you in?

you're better than me with the T&C's. i'm meeting my supervisor tomorrow so will be chatting more about them then :)

Currently doing a Master's at Cambridge, will be applying to come back to TCD next year (where I did my undergrad). What about you?

And yes my (future) supervisor has been marvelous, emailing over relevant documents etc- if only the 'match' between us counted for more, haha, I'd be lost without him!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 MonaDD

Does anyone know how important the referee is? I'm trying to get my application together for funding, but am wondering if I am better to get a preivous lecturer as a referee, or a lecturer I worked with when I was employed in a univeristy abroad. Would an Irish reference be better?

MonaDD wrote: »
    Does anyone know how important the referee is? I'm trying to get my application together for funding, but am wondering if I am better to get a preivous lecturer as a referee, or a lecturer I worked with when I was employed in a univeristy abroad. Would an Irish reference be better?

I would choose whoever knows you & your academic work best as the referee. The referee will not be asked to comment on your work experience, but on your suitability and capacity for the project you are applying for, so if one of the two you listed knows you better academically, then choose them.

As regards an Irish reference vs a non-Irish, I don't think it makes much difference. I will be asking my Master's supervisor here in the UK to write the reference for me, and it doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

so... i submitted my form on monday, but now when I log on to the e-system all i get is a message saying applications are closed for 2012. i cant see if my referee or supervisor has completed their part. I am going to email them both to make sure they do, just want to make sure I'm not the only one seeing this message.

So glad you said that Cass! I submitted mine Tuesday morning, and at first it seemed to accept the application but then an error appeared on the page. Now when I log in all I see is the message saying applications have clsoed too so i was worried mine was not received. But, safety in numbers, hopefully it is just an administrative thing, adn maybe in a few days when all applications are processed we will see the status of our applications!

Just got an email from IRCHSS saying there was a problem with the system. If they have not received your completed application they will email you with a chance to resubmit it!

hey.... i did email them but got no reply but my supervisor mailed me and said they told her all the info was back up online. i'm still worried though. i wish they had emailed me. i hope it will be ok. sorry i didn't reply to your pm, my laptop died and i had to spend days retyping up my info. very best of luck to you :)

No problem, I'm sure they would have emailed you if they didn't get all your info, and your supervisor wouldn't have received his/her notice! So it looks good! Best of luck- now we just have the looong wait...!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭kellyi3

just wondering if anyone had any trouble with the supervisor/referee part. irchss said i only had the referee submission and no supervisor when i logged in yet my supervisor filled out his part and irchss confirmed he did it. i spoke to my research office and i was informed theres a system problem meaning that information might slip through the net and that irchss were conducting a review to look at these issues. we were told email irchss and see what they say. how worried should i be?

• Advertisement

hi kelly,

i had the same problem.. both supervisor and referee had not completed their part on monday... by monday afternoon the research office in my college rang me and i asked them to email both people. by monday evening both had filled in their parts of the application form and I could see the green arrows to indicate it had been done...

however, the research office told me IRCHSS have had problems with the online system this year. I emailed IRCHSS a few times and got nothing back, but my supervisor has been in contact with them.

if it was me, i'd ring my supervisor first thing tomorrow and get him/her to call IRCHSS straight away. i hope it works out for you!

hi kelly,

i had the same problem.. both supervisor and referee had not completed their part on monday... by monday afternoon the research office in my college rang me and i asked them to email both people. by monday evening both had filled in their parts of the application form and I could see the green arrows to indicate it had been done...

however, the research office told me IRCHSS have had problems with the online system this year. I emailed IRCHSS a few times and got nothing back, but my supervisor has been in contact with them.

if it was me, i'd ring my supervisor first thing tomorrow and get him/her to call IRCHSS straight away. i hope it works out for you!

We made contact with irchss before the deadline and are awaiting a response. The research office told us to wait and see what they tell us to do. My supervisor ha already offered to resubmit the relevant details via email if they'll accept it but I'm hoping the research office will take the reigns in the matter as they know who they'll be dealing with. It's just very frustrating because it's such an important part of doing postgrad and you may not be able to apply for funding because of a flaw in the sustem

i absolutely agree with you.. it would be totally unfair, but if the problem is on their end they have to accept your application. if you have your supervisor and research office in your corner, it will be fine.
    if my supervisor and research office told me they've been having these problems i wouldn't worry too much. you're doing everything you can. fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭k_tos

same problem here- i have my supervisor as my referee also. referee section not completed but supervisor section was done. thought it odd that he might have done one section and not the other- will be checkin it out tomorrow with both him, irchss and the research office- have to agree though, if it's their fault it's unlikely they can make you ineligible because of it.

I had a similar problem with my own application (see comments above) but IRCHSS fixed the bug and I had to resubmit.
    On the site they also mention MAC users are having problems, maybe that is your supervisor's problem? It sounds like the issue is with the online system anyway, and as it's the first year they're using this system it seems IRCHSS were anticipating issues. I'm sure there is no need to worry and they will do as they did with the applications that the system wouldn't accept and allow your supervisor to resubmit.
    They can tell if there have been attempts to upload so they know the problem is on their side, so I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure they'll resolve the issue or accept it by mail.
    Good luck! :)

Its good to hear I'm not the only one dealing with this problem. Good to know there's online postgrad solidarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭k_tos

just heard back from IRCHSS- they're not in a position to answer any questions after 4pm on the 27th and all mail has been forwarded to the director- absolute joke! no contingency for the fact that errors may have occurred or accountability for the fact that the error is with their system and not the people using it...feel fairly cheated after complying with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

It's pretty clear from the strictness of the requirements and the tone of the FAQ that IRCHSS go out of their way to dismiss as many applications as possible: spelling error? gone! forgot to tick a box? gone! one word too many in a section? gone!

thats.... terrifying.

• Advertisement

IRCHSS emailed my supervisor to confirm everything was submitted so thankfully I'll only not get IRCHSS on my own merit if I don't get it. Not exactly desirable but better than not getting because of problems on their end. 'Steve' in IT can sleep easy :D

Advertisement