Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRCHSS results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Magnolia27

Hi! Did anyone get the confirmation e-mail for their applications yet? I haven't received anything, despite the fact that supervisor and referee letters were submitted on time and the research office of my university endorsed my application. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭kellyi3

I haven't heard anything back myself but given that your research office has endorsed you everything should be fine. I've checked my spam box as well to see if they've sent anything but nothing so far. Given the way the whole thing has been implemented this year don't be surprised if you never get a confirmation email.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cassElliot

SNAP!

i haven't heard anything and also submitted every aspect AND was endorsed by the research office.. I agree with Kelly, I'd say they are all over the place after the problems with the online applications.

I'm sure we're all fine!
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Buyingahouse

We got an email from our Research Office saying that they're liaising with IRCHSS, but the IRCHSS own system is beyond bollix'd at the moment. Basically, all of our application statuses only show the referee and supervisor reports, but nothing from the College. It's a bit nervy over here, but the Research Office assures us that nothing is wrong. It's going to be awkward going through the summer with everything crossed, but I'll cope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

I'd say you’re probably all incorrect.
    It's pretty clear from the strictness of the requirements and the tone of the FAQ that IRCHSS go out of their way to dismiss as many applications as possible: spelling error? gone! forgot to tick a box? gone! one word too many in a section? gone!

Any evidence that this is/was the case?
    MonaDD wrote: »
    I had a similar problem with my own application (see comments above) but IRCHSS fixed the bug and I had to resubmit. On the site they also mention MAC users are having problems, maybe that is your supervisor's problem? It sounds like the issue is with the online system anyway, and as it's the first year they're using this system it seems IRCHSS were anticipating issues. I'm sure there is no need to worry and they will do as they did with the applications that the system wouldn't accept and allow your supervisor to resubmit. They can tell if there have been attempts to upload so they know the problem is on their side, so I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure they'll resolve the issue or accept it by mail.

So the problem was with their system or with MAC users who can’t follow instruction or use their own PCs? Any clarity or evidence on this?
    k_tos wrote: »
    no contingency for the fact that errors may have occurred or accountability for the fact that the error is with their system and not the people using it...feel fairly cheated after complying with everything.

Again any evidence?
    kellyi3 wrote: »
    IRCHSS emailed my supervisor to confirm everything was submitted so thankfully I'll only not get IRCHSS on my own merit if I don't get it. Not exactly desirable but better than not getting because of problems on their end. 'Steve' in IT can sleep easy :D

Again, any evidence of ‘problems on their end’?
    cassElliot wrote: »
    i haven't heard anything and also submitted every aspect AND was endorsed by the research office.. I agree with Kelly, I'd say they are all over the place after the problems with the online applications.

Again any evidence of problems caused?
    We got an email from our Research Office saying that they're liaising with IRCHSS, but the IRCHSS own system is beyond bollix'd at the moment. Basically, all of our application statuses only show the referee and supervisor reports, but nothing from the College. It's a bit nervy over here, but the Research Office assures us that nothing is wrong. It's going to be awkward going through the summer with everything crossed, but I'll cope!

Again any evidence here, have you asked the IRCHSS to clarify the missive from your research office or are you just happy to accept and regurgitate?

---

So all in all, where’s the evidence for any of this on here or is this just going to be continuous rumours and speculation from five or so people who seem sure the system is unworkable or out to get them? What about the other 1,000s who seem to have engaged and applied successfully? It may be that it takes time to check over a 1,000 or so applications. It also seems mildly amusing that as supposed ‘researchers’ many here are very happy to spout anything on a public forum with absolutely no evidence to back it up. At best this only causes unnecessary fear and anxiety for others. At worst it suggests that the quality of graduates from our higher education system is really as poor as is often suggested.

• Advertisement

Well, the notion that one is not alone during this anxious period is soothing.. The reason why people get anxious is because there seems to be a problem with the system. For example, you read in the T&C that you receive an automated e-mail once the research office has endorsed your application. Hence, you do get somewhat nervous when an automated e-mail does not pop up in your box (since, precisely as a researcher, you do mull over the T&C a couple of hundred times to make sure you haven't gotten anything wrong). As for the other comments, I don't know.

But thank you to everyone who responded to my question! Good luck to you all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Buyingahouse

TJJP wrote:

Any evidence that we're all incorrect?
    TJJP wrote:
    Again any evidence?
    Personal anecdotal evidence, I'd say. That's generally how web message boards work: people share their experiences.

TJJP wrote:
    So the problem was with their system or with MAC users who can’t follow instruction or use their own PCs? Any clarity or evidence on this?
    If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say the forms were not properly created in Adobe. This happens from time to time and was subsequently rectified by the, as you say, 1,000s of applicants who were clever enough to find a fix on their own.
    TJJP wrote:
    Again any evidence here, have you asked the IRCHSS to clarify the missive from your research office or are you just happy to accept and regurgitate?
    Have you ever tried to get an answer to a specific question from IRCHSS? Not exactly 'do-able', so to say I'm waiting for a response would only serve to enter me into a Sisyphus-like cycle of emailing and waiting for response. So, to answer the direct question that you didn't ask, yeah, I asked IRCHSS and haven't heard anything back. I don't really see how it would be beneficial for my Research Office to lie to all of its applicants, as this could be a matter of continuing a PhD and not. So, yes, I'm willing to take a leap of faith with the Research Office.
    TJJP wrote:
    So all in all, where’s the evidence for any of this on here or is this just going to be continuous rumours and speculation from five or so people who seem sure the system is unworkable or out to get them? What about the other 1,000s who seem to have engaged and applied successfully? It may be that it takes time to check over a 1,000 or so applications. It also seems mildly amusing that as supposed ‘researchers’ many here are very happy to spout anything on a public forum with absolutely no evidence to back it up. At best this only causes unnecessary fear and anxiety for others. At worst it suggests that the quality of graduates from our higher education system is really as poor as is often suggested.
    I'm not sure what evidence you have that the 'five or so people' who are commenting here are 'sure that the system is unworkable or out to get them'. It looks to me that people are frustrated with a long and complicated process, which I would believe to be completely understandable. I've only ever found comments on this thread to be re-assuring and comforting. Working on a research degree to the PhD level can be a terribly solitary task, so knowing that there are shared frustrations with a process that a good number of us are putting ourselves through is comforting. As for your final comment, who pissed in your Cornflakes?

Don't like the content of a public forum? Don't read it. Q.E.D.

Q.E.D.

Quod erat demonstrandum indeed.

TJJP wrote: »

Again any evidence?

Again, any evidence of ‘problems on their end’?

Again any evidence of problems caused?

---

yes i do have evidence, i was told by my research office and my supervisor about the problems IRCHSS was having. and not merely told but explicitly given the exact details of the communications coming from IRCHSS.

what evidence do YOU have to imply that we are all wrong - that the people here having the exact same issues are wrong? because if you dont then you are being completely unhelpful, and just outright rude.

Any evidence that we're all incorrect?

Personal anecdotal evidence, I'd say. That's generally how web message boards work: people share their experiences.

If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say the forms were not properly created in Adobe. This happens from time to time and was subsequently rectified by the, as you say, 1,000s of applicants who were clever enough to find a fix on their own.

Have you ever tried to get an answer to a specific question from IRCHSS? Not exactly 'do-able', so to say I'm waiting for a response would only serve to enter me into a Sisyphus-like cycle of emailing and waiting for response. So, to answer the direct question that you didn't ask, yeah, I asked IRCHSS and haven't heard anything back. I don't really see how it would be beneficial for my Research Office to lie to all of its applicants, as this could be a matter of continuing a PhD and not. So, yes, I'm willing to take a leap of faith with the Research Office.

I'm not sure what evidence you have that the 'five or so people' who are commenting here are 'sure that the system is unworkable or out to get them'. It looks to me that people are frustrated with a long and complicated process, which I would believe to be completely understandable. I've only ever found comments on this thread to be re-assuring and comforting. Working on a research degree to the PhD level can be a terribly solitary task, so knowing that there are shared frustrations with a process that a good number of us are putting ourselves through is comforting. As for your final comment, who pissed in your Cornflakes?

Don't like the content of a public forum? Don't read it. Q.E.D.

I think you've summed up what I wanted to say. I come to this thread for some reassurance and free 'group therapy', as it reminds me that I'm not the only research postgrad out there. And it helps me. It really does.

And more importantly none of us think IRCHSS are out to get us. We're only concerned because with the funding pot getting smaller every year we'd like to be secure in the knowledge that our applications are being judged on their academic merit and because we've adhered to the terms and conditions. We wouldn't like our applications not be considered because of a technological glitch.

In all honesty technical glitches can happen anywhere where technology is used. If your printer stops working do you think that means environmental groups are out to get you?

• Advertisement

Magnolia27 wrote: »
    Well, the notion that one is not alone during this anxious period is soothing.. The reason why people get anxious is because there seems to be a problem with the system. For example, you read in the T&C that you receive an automated e-mail once the research office has endorsed your application. Hence, you do get somewhat nervous when an automated e-mail does not pop up in your box (since, precisely as a researcher, you do mull over the T&C a couple of hundred times to make sure you haven't gotten anything wrong). As for the other comments, I don't know.

But thank you to everyone who responded to my question! Good luck to you all! :)

The concern is understandable and I'd say it's likely that a confirmation will issue in due course. I can only presume that not all institutions have completed their technical check as of yet? How long should it take UCD or TCD to check 200 or so applications if there is only one person to do it? This might be complicated by an applicant ticking UCD instead of DCU or vice versa too. I'd presume that once institutions have done their bit that all ‘application’ stages will have been completed and a confirmation can then issue.

you are being completely unhelpful, and just outright rude.

Not to personalise it but where was I in any way rude by comparison with some that posted here?

But more generally, is it not a factual observation that people are producing an argument with no evidence what so ever thereby promoting a negative group think and inclination to unnecessary panic and frustration?

Are hopeful ‘research scholars’ entirely unable to reason and argue cogently? Is it really the case that the best response to be hoped for here is 'if you don’t like it, don’t read it'? Is it really the case that any alternative viewpoint is utterly invalid and fit only for derision?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 MonaDD

Again any evidence?

Yes, I have evidence actually.

I got a direct email from IRCHSS when there were technical problems with the system which meant my application was not fully uploaded.

They acknowledged the glitch, and gave me a deadline by which time I had to re-upload the application by.

So, to reiterate TJJP, yes, there is indeed evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

If you read the IRCHSS FAQ, you'll see there's a question from someone who forgot to tick the box to apply for the Andrew Grene scholarship, but filled in all the other information. They were told their application would not be considered for it.

Reading through the IRCHSS FAQ gives you a good idea just how strict they are about things.
    So all in all, where’s the evidence for any of this on here or is this just going to be continuous rumours and speculation from five or so people who seem sure the system is unworkable or out to get them?

I'm not sure where you got this idea. I submitted my application just fine, and have no worries about the system's processing of it. That doesn't change the fact that the IRCHSS application is stressful, confusing, and gives no leeway whatsoever for any mistakes.

As for your repeated requests for evidence, I'm not about to conduct a publishable study on IRCHSS procedures just to meet your demands for rigour. I'm speaking from my own experiences and the experiences of the people I've spoken to in my department.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭k_tos

One would have thought that the only evidence needed was the fact that the system failed for a number of individuals and in turn does indeed have bugs. Also it seems highly unlikely anyone is going to prejudice themselves on here by posting up private communications between themselves, IRCHSS and their research offices. This is not a court of law, it's an online forum- hearsay is par for the course.

I would argue that this does not cause unnecessary fear and anxiety-it was a great help for me personally to know that other people had experienced the same issues. As for a lack of contingency and evidence to that effect: I was informed by IRCHSS that they would not answer any query from me regarding whether it was their system or my referee had messed up. As it turns out, they were willing to talk to the head of my research office and permitted a "once-off" opportunity for resubmission of the referee form. Ultimately by email not their online system. From a procedural perspective, at no point was I informed by them that there was a problem, what that problem was or how they have ultimate rectified it- a one off mechanism for resubmission is not a well planned out procedural guideline for if and when their new online system fails in future.

As for the commentary regarding the quality of posters here vis. research- I have a first class honours law degree, a first class honours law masters, currently undertaking a PhD, have worked as a researcher for a government department and I'm published in leading journals. Casting quasi aspersions as to the academic ability of posters here who rightly believed that their applications, e.g. weeks of work, was for nothing based upon system flaws as confirmed by Irchss and the research offices is childish. In turn, the fact that you believe you are the subject of derisive comments-was that not the intended outcome for challenging individual's academic credentials and ability in the first place? I could go on, but to suffice it to say- you started it. (Feel free to put me down for a lack of eloquence as per your expectations of how a research academic should cogently insult others, but I find being succinct far more agreeable.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 King funding

Fact! Actually more like 60, riding around in a g6 banging homies and hoes. Livin the life, so don't hate the player hate the game. All about checking the way I wear my hat, just peep the way I wear it , this is all about the swagger. And at the end if the day jigga. Seriously smart player, not so smart

Well I got my email today saying my application was officially accepted. Anybody else hear?

kellyi3 wrote: »
    Well I got my email today saying my application was officially accepted. Anybody else hear?

Hi, yes got an email just saying my application was received and they would not reach a decision until August, and not to contact them before then!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I got that email too :)

This is probably a silly question but does that mean that your application has passed an initial 'screening' or check, to make sure you haven't missed any sections/not ticked any boxes etc.?

Hi, yes got an email just saying my application was received and they would not reach a decision until August, and not to contact them before then!

It'll never come fast enough, and, while I want it it to come I don't want it to come at the same time.

If you know what I mean.

• Advertisement

gutenberg wrote: »

This is probably a silly question but does that mean that your application has passed an initial 'screening' or check, to make sure you haven't missed any sections/not ticked any boxes etc.?

got the email too and was wondering the same thing!! :pac:

got the email too and was wondering the same thing!! :pac:

That's what I assumed was the case. I imagine they have just screened all applications at this stage and filtered out those that were incomplete/ not completed correctly. So that email we received was just an acknowledgement that all necessary documents (references etc) were received and that our applications have now gone forward for consideration.

My main problem is I am soooo impatient... August is a long time away!
    I know what you mena about wanting to know/ not wanting to know though! :)

I pity my poor postman when the first of August comes around. I'll be badgering the poor bloke even though he has no control over IRCHSS.

Or does he? ;)

I gather from chatting to academics in my dept that they expect IRCHSS will actually have the results ready before August. Last year apparently they also stated it would be August, but the results were released in early-mid July. I presume they say August in case there is a severe delay: though with the problems experienced with the online system this year and the delays with getting research offices to sign off on applications, perhaps it will end up being August at this stage...

I got my email too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭k_tos

got email...but also got a new postman that keeps delivering letters to wrong addresses...they should have embraced the net fully- an online list would be far more environmentally friendly!..specific date and time would also be welcome!

Starting to get optimistic that the results will arive a month early... this waiting is killing me!

Starting to get optimistic that the results will arive a month early... this waiting is killing me!

We're all hoping :) Or trying not to think about it..

Magnolia27 wrote: »

We're all hoping :) Or trying not to think about it..

The thing is at least if they do come around early and we don't get it (but I'm sure we all will because we're a wonderful bunch of people :-) ) at least out relevant departments will be able to sort out their internal funding and maybe we'll get some of that. I'm only speaking from personal experience here, my departments phd student ship funding wasn't cut but they won't decide the distribution of it until irchss is sorted. the thing is there should be some money in our pot as three or four students are in the process of submitting.

Maybe I'm just rambling a little. But irchss just hurry. As my nephew says: pleeeeeeaaassssseee?

• Advertisement

I wonder if they will be announced soon? Just looking back, it was tomorrow a year ago (5th July) that a friend found out that he had got it, so perhaps we won't have long to wait?

I'm not sure even if I am lucky enough to get it whether I'll take it, as I have funding to stay in my university in the UK... Choices!

Advertisement