Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRCHSS results

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

gutenberg wrote: »
    I'm not sure about this either, perhaps they look at staff with similar interests to yours in the same department, library resources, access to workshops/seminars etc? I really don't know.
    Yeah I was thinking the may look at things like funds for attending conferences and things like that - I don't think I included that info in my application (the copy is on my PC in the University); I'll emphasise that in the next application if I didn't already, assuming there is a next one of course!
    I'm actually more curious about the 'quality of scholar' one? How is that scored? Do they give points for, for instance, whether you have Master's degree, your undergrad classification, references...?
    I don't know about that one either, I got a high enough score on that (assuming it's out of 20) and I only have a degree and a master's plus I have an award from the university too - no publications/conferences as of yet. I assume my reference added to it but it's still a difficult one to judge seeing as others got a slightly lower score than me and have done more.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I don't know about that one either, I got a high enough score on that (assuming it's out of 20) and I only have a degree and a master's plus I have an award from the university too - no publications/conferences as of yet. I assume my reference added to it but it's still a difficult one to judge seeing as others got a slightly lower score than me and have done more.

I'm the same as you, I have my B.A. and was in the middle of my Master's when I applied; I also had some university awards and so on. I do have a handful of 'publications' but only in student-type journals, published by departments in my university, not 'proper' journals. I also scored well on it, though I was wondering how they scored it, and whether it's actually possible to get 20...?

Also, did anyone notice how in the scoring bands, they listed applications with 90%+ as being in the top 2%, but the next band only started at 89.25? :confused: Given how precise they are with the 0.25s, seemed a bit odd to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Terms and conditions (http://www.research.ie/scheme/irchss-government-ireland-postgraduate-scholarship-scheme-2012-13-closed) offer a breakdown it seems. Might be worth reading (or re-reading) as an aid to the feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 MonaDD

Yes I'm really intrigued as to how those two sections- quality of scholar and institution- were scored, as I think they are the most vague- I have both a BA and MPhil and various college awards, as well as having presented in the area of my thesis at international conferences and have been published in journals and a book, and yet my colleague scored higher than me in this section and he was only half way through his MA at the time and with no publications/conferences- I think he was more surprised than me with his scoring in that section! ;)
    For the quality of the proposal at least one can make an educated guess at factors that were considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 smurac86

Was just wondering - from those who were successful-have you received any other notification or the first payment? Haven't heard much since confirmation in July, other than the feedback letter.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 camusflage

smurca86, I think it depends on when your supervisor registered the research account at your institution. I heard that the payments came at the end of October last year. I haven't received any payment yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Payment depends on your institution. IRCHSS sends the money for the first six months to the institution on the 1st October, and the institution normally pays it out on a monthly basis. TCD doesn't pay till 20th October, for example, as they do their payroll on the 20th of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Historia

I was paid last year on the 3rd October (at UCC) and I haven't heard anything about payment this year yet but I know that IRCHSS transferred the money about a week or so ago to the institutions but I don't know when this will be transferred to the recipients.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

And I've had it confirmed that Trinity pays on the 20th. Which is annoying, but that's a separate rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Historia

Still no word on when it will be in at UCC. The Fees Office are now saying they are waiting on the funds being released by the Accounts Dept...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 vittelbelle

Still no sign! :-/

Advertisement