Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRCHSS results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 potoftea

I think the IRCHSS post the results online months after the offer letters have been sent (when they have a definite number of scholars accepting the award etc). So, I wouldn't be holding out on an internet results list, anytime soon. I have heard that they sent letters out to post-doc applicants and that was last week, I think. Obviously they were busy processing that. I really just want to know at this stage, or else I may need counseling to deal with the anxiety. I am starting to become obsessed! Anyway, hopefully they will post out the letters this Friday, which means that they'll be in the post Monday first thing. Again, the best of luck to everyone!

You're right there. I know someone who was in for a postdoc. She told me back on the 13th that she'd gotten her result (it was from that fateful point I started looking for the postman every day!) At least she's been put out of her misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

@efla: No, I hadn't come across that, thank you very much for the information. I'm more interested in how complexity theory might resolve (or reformulate) certain fundamental problems of metaphysics, and what bearing this has on McCarthy's writing, so the social science application of complexity theory is not of particular relevance, but it looks interesting nonetheless and I'll check it out if I manage to get a scholarship and have the luxury of a university library... Spent a small fortune on academic books already over the past year, this independent scholarship lark is expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Yep the postdoc ones are out all right, so I'd say you should all hear pretty soon. Good luck to everyone applying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭the-jojo-axiom

potoftea wrote: »
    Nooo! Early next week! I was all set to believe we'd have our letters by this Friday. Or wait (ever the optimist):maybe they mean they'll be posting the results online early next week, by which time we will have our letters! God, I can't take any more of this second-guessing!

Oh and my area: my application is for a PhD in archaeology.

Snap! :)

I blame both the bankers and Fianna Fáil for this shambles.

I'm guessing no-one got any surprises in the post this morning? Still at work here, resigned to the fact that we probably won't hear until Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lagreene

Dowdy wrote: »
    I'm guessing no-one got any surprises in the post this morning? Still at work here, resigned to the fact that we probably won't hear until Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

I didn't hear anything anyway. I agree with you, I think maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. Don't think I could wait much longer!

Ah well, just thought I'd check. This has been a painful month of waiting, and it could all be for nothing yet... Christ.

Good luck anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Mr dissidence

hopefully the results will be in the post tomorrow! Best of luck everyone!

Well? Anything in the post this morning for any of you? Do I have to rush home early from work today?

Can't check my post until later in the day- Did anything come for anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Casinha

I am awaiting a decision for Scheme 1 as well and have joined this now to let you guys do your work for today. As far as my area is concerned, the postman was here and has not dropped in a letter from the IRCHSS. If anyone gets it today, let me know!!

Getting more nervous every day...Good luck to you all!
    :confused:

I rang the IRCHSS just there and asked when the postgraduate results will be made available. They said that "hopefully" sometime this week, letters will be sent out to inform applicants. The "hopefully" is a bit troubling. I am starting to think that it might be mid June before anyone receives a letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Casinha

Thanks for calling! So we can be nearly sure no letters will arrive tomorrow...
    Great, so basically we get deadlines imposed to get our s*** together in time - thought I could vice versa expect the same from the other side, too.

I didn't see a problem calling, seeing as it's nearly the end of the month and the letter that they sent to us in March told us that offers should be out mid-May. I am definitely thinking mid-June now :mad:

Jesus Christ.. It's getting very annoying alright.

Thanks for the information anyway lads, and let us know if you hear anything from them over the next few days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 pieye

Off topic, but has anyone had any other grants disappear? I'm going a little mad as, of the three schemes I applied for this this one has me tentatively circling the mail box for the last three weeks, one has quietly announce their decision not to fund this year- months after they have you fill out there Cosmo Better Sex quiz-esque forms, and the third from what I understand involves a dragons den like presentation in the middle summer. I really love my project, but I feel a bit abused at this rate. I bet they don't have those sciency people waiting- and they have lab coats- damn their souls, where is the humanity/ies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭truebluedub

pieye wrote: »
    and the forth from what I understand involves a dragons den like presentation in the middle summer.

If you are referring to the HEA travel fund called "Making an Impact" they announced that one via a press release.

http://www.hea.ie/en/node/1257

If you are referring to the HEA travel fund called "Making an Impact" they announced that one via a press release.

Thankfully my one is for a sustainable amount, and dosen't involve Kevin Myers and studio audience. This would be more like Researchers' Got Talent :p Don't get me wrong it is an honor, a substantial prize... and something I'd apply for but personally the event sounds quite unenjoyable, and 2,500 really isn't going to fund 3 years of research.

Apologies for the ranting, and thanks to everyone for putting up the information :)

No need to apologise for ranting, rantworthy times call for ranting measures.

I'm guessing no-one has received any mail from the IRCHSS today anyway? They're like Godot at this stage, jesus... Nothing to be done I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lagreene

Dowdy wrote: »
    No need to apologise for ranting, rantworthy times call for ranting measures.

I'm guessing no-one has received any mail from the IRCHSS today anyway? They're like Godot at this stage, jesus... Nothing to be done I suppose.

I still haven't heard anything anyway, I'm still hoping it will be this week!

• Advertisement

ESTRAGON:
    He should be here.
    VLADIMIR:
    He didn't say for sure he'd come.
    ESTRAGON:
    And if he doesn't come?
    VLADIMIR:
    We'll come back tomorrow.
    ESTRAGON:
    And then the day after tomorrow.
    VLADIMIR:
    Possibly.
    ESTRAGON:
    And so on.
    VLADIMIR:
    The point is—
    ESTRAGON:
    Until he comes.

@pieye - :D

But that is not the question. Why are we here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for the IRCHSS to come...

I'm tearing the hair out here, can't plan any research trips (essential to my research) until I know if I can afford them or not and these feckers are playing with us like little academic toys.

It's a bit of a double standard that the science equivalent is posted online without delay, at least those lucky sods are out of their misery. It wouldn't take them that long to just post a list of successful candidates plus it would be much cheaper for them. What a dose.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Thankfully my one is for a sustainable amount, and dosen't involve Kevin Myers and studio audience. This would be more like Researchers' Got Talent :p Don't get me wrong it is an honor, a substantial prize... and something I'd apply for but personally the event sounds quite unenjoyable, and 2,500 really isn't going to fund 3 years of research.

Apologies for the ranting, and thanks to everyone for putting up the information :)

That making an Impact thing sounds pretty bizarre actually. I understand where they are coming from in terms of having researchers communicate their research to a wider public and think about how their work makes a real impact... but this sounds like a pretty unsophisticated way of achieving that.
    Or maybe it's just the thought of Kevin Myers judging my research that seems so distasteful :rolleyes:
    Though it is a great opportunity for those involved really.
    Good luck to everyone still waiting on the IRCHSS results. They have always been fairly on time before, so I don't know what's taking them so long this time. I was only recently put out of my misery re: research funding for next year so I feel your pain!

Yeah that Kevin Myers thing sounds like something out of a nightmare.

Mind you, if your proposed research topic was on how single mothers "consciously embark upon a career of mothering bastards because it seems a good way of getting money and accommodation from the State", how "Africa is giving nothing to anyone - apart from Aids", how the country is being overrun with Muslims intent on destroying all of us, or on how any Irish Republican is a coward and a murderer while any Irish who fought in the trenches of WWI is a glorious hero (WWI being such a wonderful example of a just and worthwhile war...), then I'm sure you'd be in with a great chance of funding.

Don't expect anything in the post tomorrow either. Rang the IRCHSS today and they informed me that they are waiting on some gov departmental office to sign off on the awards list. The letters are ready apparently, but the IRCHSS needs this clearance before posting the results out to applicants. The person I spoke to told me that they "hoped" to get letters out to applicants by Friday, but if they couldn't, then a letter explaining the delay would be posted out instead (just to keep everyone from fretting).

I officially GIVE UP! I am sure the IRCHSS people are doing all they can, but quite honestly I can't take anymore waiting and dwelling on this. I am not checking my post until Friday, and if nothing is there, I am not checking it until the following Friday (provided I don't hear word that results have been issued in the meantime). I can't keep checking the post like a crazy person every lunch time! RANT OVER

Does anyone want to go on a crazy adventure involving a Dublin 4 office... ok we need the nerd\geek, the odd ball, the jock, the bad boy and the preppy kid; and a master jewel theif.... think breakfast club meets, oceans 16 candles... lots of synth music and impressively large bibliographies!

The government official can be principle.

P.S
    To understand why Kevin My-Arse needs to be some how ignored out of existence please listen to him on any of the talking histories he's ever been on, the man runs on being offended by everyone else in the conversation, and repeats the moral points in order to cover over the fact that most of his data comes from wikipedia[no shame but annoying to listen to as if it's an amazing insight]. Further when you agree to go on to a historical panel to talk about something you really should know about it, or at least not point out that everything you know about the topic was prepared after you accepted the invite(Talking History, Thomas McDonagh, 22/03/09)

Does anyone want to go on a crazy adventure involving a Dublin 4 office... ok we need the nerd\geek, the odd ball, the jock, the bad boy and the preppy kid; and a master jewel theif.... think breakfast club meets, oceans 16 candles... lots of synth music and impressively large bibliographies!

P.S
    To understand why Kevin My-Arse needs to be some how ignored out of existence please listen to him on any of the talking histories he's ever been on, the man runs on being offended by everyone else in the conversation, and repeats the moral points in order to cover over the fact that most of his data comes from wikipedia[no shame but annoying to listen to as if it's an amazing insight]. Further when you agree to go on to a historical panel to talk about something you really should know about it, or at least not point out that everything you know about the topic was prepared after you accepted the invite(Talking History, Thomas McDonagh, 22/03/09)

lol, I can be the preppy one . . .

P.S

I bags odd ball :)

• Advertisement

I guess that leaves me as the nerd. This wait is playing havoc with my allergies, and my nose just started bleeding for no reason.

Advertisement